“Tired hotel with average executive lounge” 3 of 5 stars

Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Tired hotel with average executive lounge”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I checked into the Hilton Strand Helsinki in Jan13 with my wife. We usually stay with Hilton and are used to their standards.

The hotel is well located and the rooms spacious. However the hotel is very tired, a real 80s time warp, with lots of gold, and peach and apricot colours. The hotel is well overdue for a refresh, although it was comfortable and everything worked.

The Executive lounge was a bit disappointing. The lounge is not manned all day (unlike many others I have used). As a result coffee cups etc pile up during the day. In the evening the lounge is staffed, but dirty plate/cup collection was very slow being there is only 1 staff member. The food choice was also limited, with one hot option only in the evenings and a very limited breakfast selection in the morning, with limited cereal choices, hot food options etc. I say this as a relativity to other Hilton executive lounges I have used recently (berlin, prague, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, and less recently LAX, Omaha, Sydney, etc).

Overall an average hotel that while comfortable, well located and acceptable could do with a renovation and a "spruce up" of its executive lounge.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator at Hilton Helsinki Strand, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us!

I was happy to read that the location, which tends to be an important aspect of our guests' stays, was convenient for you and that you found the hotel to be comfortable over all. Equally I am sorry to hear that there were elements of your stay, specifically with regards to the Executive Lounge, that did not meet your expectations. Keeping the lounge tidy and clean so that our guests can fully enjoy the area is of course important to us and I am sorry to hear this was not the case during your visit. We also appreciate your comments about the selection of food, partly we have limitations due to space but as always we are happy to hear our guests' comments in order for us to improve in all the ways we possibly can.

I am happy to say that we will indeed be undergoing a renovation of the hotel and look forward to briding the interior up to modern standards.

Thank you for staying with us and we do hope you will still consider our hotel for another stay in the future.

Daniela Öhman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stay in this hotel constantly, if it is free. They have discounts, and it is realy pleasent to live in a good hotel whith discount. We took two rooms. Both were clean, spacious with nice view. One of us came to Helsinki by her self. She had to arrive earlier and we wrote about that to the hotel, and the room was prepared earlier. But she was late and people on the reception worried about that.
We like swimming pool and breakfast there. And I like location, nice calm area near center.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator at Hilton Helsinki Strand, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments with us!

I am very happy to hear that you enjoy staying at our hotel and that everything went smoothly with the rooms during your last stay. The rooms are indeed large for European standards and we are fortunate to be located near to the city center.

We appreciate your continued business with us and we look forward to your next stay!

Best regards,

Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We have booked a weekend trip to Helsinki and wanted to be pampered in a five star hotel such as the Hilton. The staff was friendly and the rooms were okay. The whole hotel was like a travel in time back to the 80'. The housekeeping staff was super! Every request we had was fulfilled within a few minutes. Very good. We were very disappointed from the Sauna. I would expect a real nice Sauna in Finland, not only was the Sauna the tiniest I have saw in a hotel, it was not heated enough, it was messy. there were towels laying everywhere on the floor, the floor was wet to a point I almost fell down. If this was the relaxation area it was very disappointing. The next disappointment was the next days breakfast. Although breakfast was supposed to be until 10, when we arrived at 8:30 the plates were almost empty. I asked for the Salmon to be refilled the waiter said there is none left.... The buffet was for a five star hotel not what I am used to. The location of the hotel is good and easy to find and move around.
All in all it was okay and would have been for a 3 star hotel with half the price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about yoru stay!

I was very sorry to hear that you did not have the kind of stay with us that you had hoped for and on behalf of the hotel I would like to offer my apologise for that. The size of the sauna is unfortunately something we are not able to do anything about just now, with the upcoming renovation we are hoping it will change if it is constructionally possible. The messiness is of course something we are able to do something about and I have forwarded your comments to the housekeeping department. I was also sorry to hear that breakfast was not as plentiful as it is supposed to be, again I am sorry about this and your comments have been shared with the Food and Beverage department.

We are a four star hotel but we do aim to provide all of our guests with five star treatment, thanks to your feedback we will be able to keep improving.

Thank you for staying with us and despite everything we do hope you will consider us for another stay so that we can do our very best to meet your expectations!

Yours sincerely,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel is older and they were doing repairs while we stayed (January 2-4) but the rooms are spacious and comfortable. The highlight of our stay was interacting with the front desk staff. Hanna was particularly helpful and gave us great recommendations on places to eat and do. Everyone was very friendly and accomodating. The hotel is conveniently located between downtown and the northeastern area of Helsinki where we found some cute pubs. It is very close to Hakaniemi Market and the tram/metro/bus stop.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review!

We appreciate your positive comments and I will make sure Hanna gets your feedback as well! We are glad to hear that you found the hotel to be well located and the rooms to be of a good size. We do aim to keep up a high level of service and I am thrilled to hear that we succeeded with this during your stay.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope it will not be long until your next visit with us!

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Well, I have been in that hotel when t was Intercontinental. In my eyes it has become worse. Breakfast was poor-poor. It is not what we normally use to get in 4 or 5 star hotels - far of it! The coffemachine in breakfast-room was out of order and it was not brought into order within 3 hrs. I got enough!
In the gym drinking water was finished. In the sauna the laddle (for throwing water on to the hot stones) was broken and the (un)dressing room was so cold. When I first entered the room it was toilet amentities were only for one person, some items were missing, but we we two persons... In paber tissues box there was left only two sheets!!!They brought more when I asked. The tempereature in the roo m was low. it showed as it is + 23, but I am sure it wasn't. The room as so cold! BAD MEMORY!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review here on TripAdvisor!

I was very sorry to hear that your stay was below your expectations and our normal standards and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced. Your comments have been forwarded to all the relevant departments from review and I would like to assure you that this is not our normal service level. We make sure to train all our staff to be accommodating and serve our guests to high standards. We appreciate your comments which helps us to keep on track.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to be able to show you that we can do better, should you consider our hotel for another stay in the future!

Yours sincerely,

Saaremaa, Estonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I visited this nice hotel for the second time: very cosy, excellent service, comfortable business lounge with nice drinks and food ( fish this time). Location is allso very close to center, M station and public transport just few steps away.
I hope that next time they have upgraded their owens in saunas (one for men and other for ladies), because these owens are really "tired" and are not able to heat more than up to 40-50 C, that is not up to finnish sauna standards ;-) . But we come here again next year and want to enjoy good sauna - as good (excellent) as everything else in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordiantor at Hilton Helsinki Strand, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review about your recent stay with us!

I am very happy to hear that you had a good time with us, despite the sauna not heating up enough. We will be undergoing some renovations in 2013 and hopefully this will improve this aspect as well.

Thank you for staying with us again and we look forward to your next visit!

Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

A disappointment this time. Executive room booked, and it was not so executive from a regular queen size bed room. The only difference was robes, slippers, a more soft and bigger duvet, and access to executive lounge. Otherwise no difference in the room, for an extra €40. Not worth the extra cost.
A typical business hotel in the city centre that has a few years to many on its neck. Not up to Hilton standard in my view, but breakfast buffet was very good. Liked the pool and roof top gym.

Location 7/10:

Central location in the city, a 10-15 min walk from the main shopping area. There is a department store just around the corner with a food store in it, several restaurants around the corner and the train station close by. Takes approx 30 min with taxi with no traffic.

Lobby/Check-in 7/10:

Nothing special and had its Honor check in, which is good. Very friendly staff that are eager to help out with any request and took their time to be thorough.

Room 5/10:

The size of the room is big, but it all depends on what you are used to and what you compare with, but for being a business hotel in a capital, its big. All standard features like safe deposit (which fit my standard size laptop), minibar, water boiler with tea and coffee, hair dryer, internet connection (not free for standard rooms). Two twin beds that were comfortable and big. The bathroom was big as well, with a very good feature that many hotels miss; hangers for towels. Well sized closet and drawers to fit clothes. No direct negative to say that was major, except maybe the view towards office rooms across the court yard. Requested room with river view, but they were fully booked.

Restaurants 8/10:

Just had breakfast, which and it was very good, with a wide variety of offerings. One of the better I have had in Europe for being standard class hotels. I especially liked the bread selection, which was extensive and with a lot of selection of full wheat bread.
Did not try the restaurant for dinner, but it had a sticker for recommended by Guide Michelin, so I just presume it is ok.

Other:

A small fitness centre on the 8th floor with nice view of the river, and there is a smaller pool and sauna relax, that serve its purpose, but not more. There is a small business centre, but did not use it.
Free slow speed (!) internet access in the room, but very slow.
The executive lounge was ok. Not so nice internal decoration and quite unfriendly. Almost only finish magazines and newspapers, except one Herald Tribune. The snacks was ok and an just ok selection of drinks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator at Hilton Helsinki Strand, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us!

I am sorry to hear that we were not able to exceed your expectations. We appreciate all your comments and it is unfortunate that the extra amenities and access to the Executive Lounge was not enough to make you feel it was worth the extra charge.

Thank you especially for your comments about our staff, it is always a pleasure to hear that everyoe has been helpful.

We have noted all your feedback and will review them in the relevant departments to help us improve on our services.

Thank you for staying with us and we do hope you will consider our hotel for another stay in the future.

Happy New Year!

Daniela Öhman

Been to Hilton Helsinki Strand? Share your experiences!