“Thin walls, tiny bathroom, limited inclusions” 3 of 5 stars

Cumulus Olympia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Laentinen Brahenkatu 2, Helsinki 00510, Finland   |
Ranked #45 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Byron Bay, Australia
“Thin walls, tiny bathroom, limited inclusions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

This hotel's saving grace is its proximity to multiple tram lines, necessary if you want to go downtown or anywhere else. Reception staff are helpful but reserved, breakfast is seriously dull and the rooms tiny (I stayed in a single, which had an additional bed on the wall above my bed - felt like I was in a train compartment). The worst aspect is the paper-thin walls. Unless you want to be woken by every footstep, slamming doors and the sound of urinating neighbours, consider staying elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

The Cumulus Olympia is a 10 min tram trip from the city. There are three trams the pass in front of the hotel which is very convenient and there is an R kiosk on the hotel corner where you can buy a tram ticket. I bought a 6 day card which costs less than four separate day cards. The card works on all public transport including the ferry, well worth it unless you intend to buy a Helsinki card.
I was a little shocked at the size of the room when i got to the hotel. I am not sure if it is the smallest room I have ever stayed in but it must be close to in it. The reception staff were polite but not effusive.
After working out how I was going to fit my luggage and myself into the room I realised that it was fairly basic. Not bar fridge or tea/coffee making was disappointing but considering the room rate i guess not surprising. On the other hand the TV was a modern flat screen, the bed very comfortable and the furnishings quite modern. The room was immaculately clean and in good condition. The bathroom (also small) was very clean and modern.
Breakfast was fairly standard but well done with a good range of options. After a few days i was quite used to the room and was quite happy with it. After all you only spend the evenings inn the room so I guess it didn't need to be spacious. The free WiFi also worked well.
Considering that the get is 30-50 Euro cheaper than a lot of other hotels it was very good value for money. If on a budget then this is a good option.

Room Tip: See if you can find out how big your room is going to be before you get there
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

It's hard for me to get excited about this hotel, but at the same time I can't really say anything negative about it either. In a pinch or if you got a deal (I didn't think the value for money was great), this hotel would be fine.
The lobby is quite small, and everything about the hotel is plain. Having said that, the room itself was quite big with a seating area as well as a desk, and it was clean as well.
The hotel staff was not especially helpful with my tourist related questions, though certainly not rude either.
The location is quite far from the centre - definitely too far to walk.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Bassano Del Grappa, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I spent here 3 nights for business reasons; check in and check out were both fast. My room, a single room, was small but clean and with all the necessary furnitures.
Wifi did work well, bathroom quite small but shower much bigger then many other hotels I have been to.
I could print my boarding card flight from the computer in the hall; parking was not difficult to find on the streets close to the hotel but from 9 to 21 it is necessary to pay,
Breakfast was a nice surprise, a lot of choices and everything was good. The bar is OK for a beer or a coffee if you do not want to go out. Hotel is 5 minutes by car from the city centre.
From outside it does not look nice at all.
IMPORTANT NOTE:
actual location on Tripadvisor map is uncorrect; hoetl is way north from indicated.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Juha K, Manager at Cumulus Olympia, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Michelle B,
Thank you for taking time to review our property. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant. so we are very happy to note that you were satisfied to stay with us.
Best Regards,
Juha K
Hotel Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

The staff were friendly enough at this hotel, The room and on-suite was nothing special but they did the job.
The hotel is a good 20-25 minuet was from the city center but you can find some very pleasant walking routes into the city center.
The breakfast had some traditional Finish items and was nice. The hotel was decent value for what it is, also considering that it is Northern Europe were prices are a little higher

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Salo, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed here during the Helsinki GoSport trade fair as an exhibitor. It was approximately 20 minutes from the exhibition hall and about the same distance to the city centre by public transportation. The building itself is dated and needs renovating. I stayed in a single room that had everything I needed (no mini-bar) but the room itself was very small. The bathroom especially gave the impression of being in an old dormitory, though everything was clean and fresh towels were furnished everyday. No amenties if not for a wall dispenser for soap and shampoo. Very little closet space if you have a lot of luggage with you which I didn't fortunately.

Breakfast was obviously adequate by northern european standars but if you're used to a normal continental breakfast it's really not all that good. The eggs were notfresh-looking as were the breakfast meats. Breads, cereals, butter, jams and cheeses were on the buffet as were a discreet choice of cakes. The beverage table has juices, milk and a coffee machine. On the whole not a very appetizing breakfast and a couple of times I had breakfast outside of the hotel even though it was included.

I was on the 6th floor and during my stay there was a very noisy group of children for the most part left unattended to run up and down the halls at all hours. The staff seemed not to take notice until I brought it to their attention. They offered a room change but it would have been uncomfortable to have repackaged my luggage and move everything. I declined and did notice the next day a reduction in noise from the group. Room doors do, however, slam shut and the noise level was bothersome. The walls and windows do not reduce outside noise. My safe was not working so I asked intervention and they sent a maintenance man who never came. The second time I mentioned it he did come and left a note that the safe had been repaired. Unfortunately, this was not true and I just ignored the problem keeping my valuables with me when I left the room.

Front desk staff were friendly on the whole though the man who checked me always had a rushed attitude so I avoided him. Not a very good welcome when I checked in and he rushed me off to my room as he was alone at the desk and didn't seem concerned with my questions. When I came down later to ask questions his attitude did change probably because he saw my response to his rushing me away from the desk.

In conclusion, I would choose either one of the other Cumulus hotels around Helsinki or another hotel chain. Leave this hotel to it's Japanese/Russian/east and north European clientelle who may had appreciated this more than I.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HERE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We was at this hotel in 2006 early December. The hotel was about 5-8 klm from center, but had the prevelege of being just in front of a tram station which made it quite convinience in terms of transportation. The staff at the receprion was rude, althoight the hotel was clean and the breakfast descent. The hotel is situated infront of a hokey play field which was unique to our eyes and is something ill always remember. The room( adouble) was quite comfort, i could say even big, and had everything we needed after a quite tiring day(walking from 09:00 till 20:00).
In general we were ok, except from the man in the reception. But maybe it was a bad day form him, i dont know.
It wasnt something extraordinary, but with the money we paid , we didnt excpecting for such.

Room Tip: choose a room looking in front
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cumulus Olympia? Share your experiences!