“Decent for this money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cumulus Olympia

You added Cumulus Olympia to your Saves list
Cumulus Olympia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Laentinen Brahenkatu 2, Helsinki 00510, Finland (Vironniemi)   |
Ranked #45 of 63 Hotels in Helsinki
“Decent for this money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

The hotel's got good location, 10 min by tram and the stop is just in front of the hotel. Rooms are simple and small but tidy and cute. We had included breakfast during our stay and we enjoyed it -a great variety of meals,drinks and fresh breads.
The service was good though at the reception desk they were a little impolite at times.
The only thing I found weird is the way they follow the calendar. It was said on Mon-Fri breakfast was from 6.30 - 10 and at weekends from 7 to 11. We arrived on Sunday so had breakfast on Monday morning at 11 but when we came on Tuesday at 9.50 sharp the doors of canteen were shut though people inside were having breakfast. When we came to the reception desk to find out if we could have our breakfast they didn't even talk to us, just murmured we missed it. Even there were 10 min to go they didn't let us in. That was quite disappointing. The rest was decent.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. The hotel was pleasant and the staff were very friendly but it was very boring, the room was best described as 'beige'. the location was not very entertaining either, not much to see in terms of restaurants etc.

If I needed a non-descript place to stay for one nights of business I may stay here again.

Room Tip: There is a tramline right outside th hotel, choose a high room if you want to get away from the noic...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Murmansk, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

it was really hard to find this hotel. it is placed in the swimming pool building or something...
staff was not too friendly, but i did not interact much with them. the breakfast was ok, the room tidy, but old. i am glad i stayed one night only.
the location is very good, i chose the place because it was on the way from/to the airport and close to Olympia stadium.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel is well situated, clean and provides a good breakfast every morning but the we found the reception staff were surly and unfriendly.

When we arrived at the hotel we discovered that there was no ventilation in our room and the windows were bolted shut. When we brought this up with the man on reception it felt as though he had little time for us. Before we had finished explaining he dismissed us and told us to use the small desk fan.

The shower flooded the bathroom whenever we used it. When we brought this to the attention of the staff their solution was to roll a towel and place it on the floor.

This hotel could have easily been a 4 or 5 if only the service we received was to higher standard and we were made to feel welcome.

Room Tip: Don't take the 2nd floor - it is the only floor where the windows don't open.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ostrava
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Visited this place during a business tour for four days. My stay was very relaxing and I never felt away from home. Stunning décor of the building was very impressive and the moment I entered the place I was left surprised. I have not expected this much. Food, rooms, services of the staff all were really beyond my expectations. I will definitely recommend this place to my other friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Vantaa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have just returned from this amazing hotel and can't wait to share my views about this wonderful property. From the moment I entered the building, I was treated like a royal guest. The level of luxury, services and sheer perfection they offer is unbelievable. Entire property is very clean and every corner is properly utilized. Rooms are gracefully decorated and well-equipped with things of need. All meals were good, but breakfast was my favorite. I will definitely come here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg City, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It was my first trip to Helsinki and honestly I booked everything last moment and decided to spend more on entertainment thus choosing a bugdet place. Generally the staff was friendly, the check-in was fast, there were sufficient choice of tourist brochures in the lobby, but their elevator is thrilling. Activation with your room key is really safe but the construction is weird with the number of doors to lock it and to start it. The room was small but I am not complaining. The walls are really-really thin and I understood it when my neighbours put the TV volume at maximum and left the room earlier to have breakfast) The shower is not convenient with water splashed all over the floor when you get out of it. The breakfast offers good and decent selection of foods. Did not use the Irish restaurant inside - I only noticed it after check-out.

All in all it is an okay place. BIG PLUS is convenient tram stops around. However what scared me most is the surrounding. It was NOT ONCE that I saw bums, beggars and some dirty drunkards around the hotel and the stadium nearby!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Cumulus Olympia? Share your experiences!