“good night's sleep but little more” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cumulus Olympia

Save Saved
You added Cumulus Olympia to your Saves list
Cumulus Olympia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Laentinen Brahenkatu 2, Helsinki 00510, Finland (Vironniemi)   |
Ranked #48 of 66 hotels in Helsinki
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“good night's sleep but little more”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel is well situated, clean and provides a good breakfast every morning but the we found the reception staff were surly and unfriendly.

When we arrived at the hotel we discovered that there was no ventilation in our room and the windows were bolted shut. When we brought this up with the man on reception it felt as though he had little time for us. Before we had finished explaining he dismissed us and told us to use the small desk fan.

The shower flooded the bathroom whenever we used it. When we brought this to the attention of the staff their solution was to roll a towel and place it on the floor.

This hotel could have easily been a 4 or 5 if only the service we received was to higher standard and we were made to feel welcome.

Room Tip: Don't take the 2nd floor - it is the only floor where the windows don't open.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ostrava
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Visited this place during a business tour for four days. My stay was very relaxing and I never felt away from home. Stunning décor of the building was very impressive and the moment I entered the place I was left surprised. I have not expected this much. Food, rooms, services of the staff all were really beyond my expectations. I will definitely recommend this place to my other friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Vantaa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have just returned from this amazing hotel and can't wait to share my views about this wonderful property. From the moment I entered the building, I was treated like a royal guest. The level of luxury, services and sheer perfection they offer is unbelievable. Entire property is very clean and every corner is properly utilized. Rooms are gracefully decorated and well-equipped with things of need. All meals were good, but breakfast was my favorite. I will definitely come here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg City, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It was my first trip to Helsinki and honestly I booked everything last moment and decided to spend more on entertainment thus choosing a bugdet place. Generally the staff was friendly, the check-in was fast, there were sufficient choice of tourist brochures in the lobby, but their elevator is thrilling. Activation with your room key is really safe but the construction is weird with the number of doors to lock it and to start it. The room was small but I am not complaining. The walls are really-really thin and I understood it when my neighbours put the TV volume at maximum and left the room earlier to have breakfast) The shower is not convenient with water splashed all over the floor when you get out of it. The breakfast offers good and decent selection of foods. Did not use the Irish restaurant inside - I only noticed it after check-out.

All in all it is an okay place. BIG PLUS is convenient tram stops around. However what scared me most is the surrounding. It was NOT ONCE that I saw bums, beggars and some dirty drunkards around the hotel and the stadium nearby!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Hotel is located in Kallio-area, so there are lot of cheap bars and restaurants nearby. Two trams stop just by the hotel, so getting into city center of Helsinki is easy; tram ride takes 10-15 minutes. Parking places near hotel are quite easy to find.
Rooms are clean and modern and quiet. Staff is friendly and there are plenty of free maps and brochures of Helsinki available in the lobby.
For breakfast you get a lot of choice (from meatballs and sausages to cereals, cake and berries). Breakfast is served until 11 am on Sundays and until 10 am other days.
I will stay here for sure again, when I visit Helsinki.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We would stay again. Hotel staff were helpful, spoke English, and the hotel was located across the street from a tram which provided a short ride to city center, the wharf or wherever. Although the room was small, the TV provided access to a wide variety of channels and the breakfast buffet was excellent. The hotel seemed to be frequented by locals primarily. Hotel Cumulus Olympia was so much less expensive than the other hotels in Helsinki like the Radisson.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashford, Middlesex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This hotel is a long walk from the centre of the city, but good value if like me you love walking. I had a twin room to myself, very comfortable, not a great view but very bright. Breakfast was a little limited, but quite good. What really surprised me was the sauna, great for unwinding after a long day. I had a great time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Cumulus Olympia? Share your experiences!