“Well Located” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Melbourne, Australia
“Well Located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed 5 nights in late June/early July and found the hotel more than adequate. The location is absolutely first class being right by the main railway station, a metro station and busy tram stop. It is a leisurely stroll to Market Square. Reception was efficient. Rooms have sufficient space and all facilities and were clean and well maintained. The breakfasts are huge but the Breakfast Room can be a bit of a squeeze with large crowds. the major problem with this hotel is the poor standard of window coverings and noise from the trams. Bearing in mind that in summer it is light in Helsinki until at least 11.00pm the window coverings in no way provided any sort of blackout, and sleep was difficult because of the light. Otherwise a good place to stay

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Vaakuna, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear reviewer,

a warm thank you for your review. It is nice to hear that you had an overall pleasant stay in our hotel.
Thank you also for the feedback about the window coverings. We will definitely take this to our consideration.

Anyway, thank you again for the review and you are of course welcome back to visit us again.

Nicolai Muhsal
Service Manager
Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna Helsinki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Jyvaskyla, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

When we arrived to the hotel the check-in was fast and service was OK.
Room was very small and crowded with a terrible bathroom:
very narrow&small with terrible order - you had to move by leaning to the walls to get to the shower and toilet.
Breakfast was below average in Finland and the emptying of tables was happening very slowly even though the place was nearly full.
Check-out service was terrible, receptionist talked very loud - almost yelling and chewing gum (did not care about the feedback that was given).
Worst stay in Helsinki for years.

Room Tip: Ask a room with a decent size bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Vaakuna, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Kalle L,

Thank you very much for your review. I am very sorry to hear that our hotel and the equipment was not to your satisfaction. Because of the funcionalist architecture some of our rooms are little bit smaller unfortunately. I will forward the feedback about the breakfast and the slowness of the breakfast staff to our breakfast service manager and discuss this matter and consider how we can develope this.
Also my deepest apologies for that the receptionist gave you the picture that we are not interested in the feedback. On the contrary, all feedbacks we get are very important to us and for our service development.

If you like to discuss this more, do not hesitate to get in contact with me privatly.
And I also welcome you back to our hotel to show you that we can do better.

Have a nice summer!

Nicolai Muhsal
Service Manager
Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna Helsinki
E-mail: nicolai.muhsal @sok.fi
Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

This hotel was built for the Helsinki Olympics in 1952. It represents very well the high quality design language of famous 20th century Finnish architecture.The reception area is beautifull, rooms very convenient in classical and good quality1950's style.
Breakfast room is on the 10th floor and that as well beutifully stylish with one of the best views over Helsinki. However the breakfast itself is just mediocre. It is not bad by any means, but lacking any higher quality you could actually expect.
Location right in the centre, next to the main railwaystation. Rooms though well insulated and not much disturbing noise can penetrate the windows and walls.
The 1950's style doesn't mean old fashioned as one reviewer told. Everything is well maintained.and classical. However if you more enjoy 2010's style, then there are plenty of choice among international bland business hotels.
I will though come back to Hotel Vaakuna to enjoy my stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review!

I'm very glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and location of our 1952-built historical hotel.
Welcome back to us to enjoy the great views when next travelling to Helsinki!

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

This was my third visit to Helsinki, 2 previous visits we stayed at Sokos Vaakuna and this time, before going there, I thoroghly investigated all Helsinki hotels trying to find out whether there was better place to stay. Finally I came to conclusion this hotel served our purpose best. Since we intended to stay at Helsinki from 14 to 18 May for IHANA celebration, taking place mostly at Esplanada boulevard, the central location of the hotel, praised in every review, was essential.
I woud not rather recur all good things already written about the hotel. And yes, there are better hotels in Helsinki like Fabian, but they are a little bit far away from the center of city. As far as Sokos Vaakuna is concerned, there is one very important thing to be taken into account and this is not "room tip", this is more essential: the Sokos Vaacuna hotel occupies 6-th to 9-th floors of huge building, the rest is shopping center with 10% discount for those who stay in the hotel, 1-st floor is reception and 10-th floor is dining hall surrounded by verandas with breathtaking views. Rooms only at 9-th floor just under the dining hall have terrific balconies irrespective whether you book standard room or junior suite. When you book this hotel at any booking site or even the hotel site, it is never specified at what floor your room will be, and there is good chance you will get ordinary room, where windows can not be opened. BUT - if you book the room calling hotel by phone specifying you want room at 9-th floor with balcony and they e-mail you confirmation with magic word 'balcony" in it - then, you are a lucky person, because you will have absolutely magnificent room - something to remember! Upon our last arrival they suggested corner junior suite instead of our standard room with balcony and we took it, so we had 2 huge balconies overlooking 2 sides of the hotel - it was just amazing!!!
Thank you, Sokos Vaakuna and Ihana Helsinki for beautiful Holiday!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at 9-th floor
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your great review! I am very happy to hear you had a wonderful holiday here in Helsinki at our hotel.

I can't but agree with you about the view, it really is breathtaking and you can see the heart of the city both from the rooms and the 10th floor restaurant and the terrace!

Hope to see you soon again here at Vaakuna!

Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I always stay in Vaakuna when I am in Helsinki, and I will ever do so just for the location and style. Just the food is a mess. Breakfast should be much more international hotel quality, but the restaurant at the bar floor is really not worth it. Maybe a general Helsinki problem, as good food is hard to find or overly expansive.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review! I'm very happy to hear that you stay with us often!
I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment concerning our kitchen and I will go through your comments with our chef in order to improve our kitchen service.

Have a sunny summer and I hope to see you soon again here at Vaakuna!

Kotka, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The location is just perfect if you travel by train or take the airport bus from Helsinki-Vantaa and want to stay in the heart of Helsinki. Check in was not the fastest one but fast enough for me and the front desk staff was friendly. As it's said before the elevators are really small but luckily there is more than one and didn't have to wait too long.

Had a single room. The room was big enough for one person and I even had a little balcony. Bathroom was tiny and had a bath tub. I prefer showers but the bath tub wasn't too hard to get into to take a shower. The floor was worn out as well as the furniture in the room. I wish they'll renovate the hotel soon because the hotel would be a lot better if the rooms and corridors would not be as worn out as they are now. The hotel has a lot of history and would deserve to be put back into it's glory. I did like a lot the 50's vibe that they had and all those nice furniture they had in the hotel lobby and all over the hotel. The bed was okay but pillows were not.

Breakfast was a big disappointment for me. In my opinion it was below the average that I am used to in Finland. Dishes were worn out and made me feel like they were dirty even though I could see that they were not. They didn't have enough staff and many items were finished and they were not able to replace them fast enough. You had to clean the table yourself and it took some time before the dirty dishes were taken away. Everything served at the breakfast was somewhat average except the porrige. The porridge was really good, had some taste in it unlike in many other hotels. I would have wanted more and better variety. The breakfast room has a great view if you are lucky enough to get a table by the window.

Check out was really fast.

All and all I would say that the hotel has great potential but does not quite get there. Would I recommend this hotel? Sure.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for Your review and Your recommendation!

I'm happy You enjoyed the location & the 50's vibe of the hotel and our friendly service! I do apologise for the quality of the breakfast - I hope to see You again here, so that we can improve Your opinion.

Have a nice summer and welcome back to Vaakuna!

Tampere, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I visited Vaakuna a while back. I had a business meeting downtown and it was convenient as I came by train and left by train and did not have to use any transportation in Helsinki. The staff were great and breakfast and room fine. I also liked the atmosphere at the hotel as it's full of history. The view from the sauna department and restaurant is spectacular! I can recommend this hotel to everyone who wants to stay in the heart of Helsinki!

Room Tip: You might want to choose a room from the upper floors so there is a better view over Helsinki!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for friendly review! It was nice to hear that Your stay was successful and that You liked the atmosphere of our hotel. Welcome back to Vaakuna when next travelling to Helsinki!

Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, Helsinki

Been to Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna? Share your experiences!