“Brilliant” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 66 hotels in Helsinki
Tampere, Finland
“Brilliant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Oltime fashion and modetn.stule. Brdt location next to railway station. Professional staff, good rooms and fantastic breakfast. Evening sauna is a dot over i. I liked again gome here. I recommend if you want more of your stay at Heösinki.

Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review! It was really nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. I wish you merry Christmas and hope to see you again here at Vaakuna!

322 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

i am currently staying at this hotel. My company has deals with certain hotels we can stay at and i choose this one for the location and write ups.

I am on my 2nd night and i have changed rooms 3 time for various reasons. the staff have been kind in accomodating my complaints and doing everythig they can to make my stay more comfortable, but its the little things that keep going wrong.

The TV's dont work, the Air Con doesnt work; the breaktfast is cold or there was nowhere to sit as the tables hasnt been cleared. The pillows aren't supportive to your neck. The room service menu is really limited. Not every room has tea and coffee facilities, the rooms are really noisy
I have now been upgraded to a superior room which i can only thank the staff for considering and accomodating but as i stay in hotels almost every week and there are some really really good hotels for half the price of this one and i would expect just a little more 'thought' to have gone into the comfort of a paying customer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I’m happy to hear you are enjoying the service provided by our staff and I also agree with you that the location of the hotel is really excellent right in the middle of the city.

I am of course disappointed by what you experienced in your room. The technical malfunctions what you described have been fixed. As our hotel has 270 rooms there can be times at breakfast when it gets crowded but I hope you have enjoyed the great view from the restaurant and the products we proudly serve at breakfast. In standard room there are no tea and coffee facilities but these are provided free of charge in superior rooms and in suites and also in standard rooms for extra fee. Our staff will gladly bring you another type of pillow or something else you need to your room.

If there is anything else we can do to make your stay more comfortable please don't hesitate to ask reception or contact me personally at hilkka.jarvela@sok.fi or call to the reception and ask to connect your call to me.

Have a nice day and enjoy the rest your stay at our hotel!

Starnberg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Sokos Hotel Vaakuna has such a central location that it cannot be beaten in Helsinki. Opposite to the main railway station and only 100 m from the Finnair airport bus stop. Nice city view from the restaurant in the 10th floor where also breakfast is served. Rooms are of standard size and equipped with all what you need, not luxurious but sufficient for me at least.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback!

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Wishing you a nice week and hope to see you again when your travels brings you back to Helsinki!

Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I spend 2-3 nights per year in SOKOS hotels in Finland, the only truly nice one I´ve met is in Saint Petersburg. This time I had to take a room in Vaakuna for the first time. Friendly young staff at the reception and direct access from there to the department store.
The main reason I try to avoid this hotel chain is the coffee at breakfast. It truly is horrible: light roast, obviously the cheapest beans and watered down. Not that the rest of the breakfast would cheer up anybody who´s seen it unchanged for at least some 15 years.
I got a superior room which I have only one complain about, for the reasonable 106€/night it was even a small bargain with well stocked minibar, iron + board, big windows and good lights in the room, good lights something rather rare actually, the complain: street noise. I could not use ear plugs (which were NOT provided) for various reasons and the noise started at 7 Saturday morning.
If you get it cheap and can use ear plugs, and understand zip about good coffee, why not stay at the hearth of the city?

Room Tip: All rooms have street view and street noise too. Mannerheimintie-street the noisiest side.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I’m very happy to hear you enjoyed our service, the easy way to do shopping right inside the hotel building and our location right in the city centre.

However, I am sorry to hear that you didn't like the coffee we serve. Beside the normal coffee we also serve for example cappuchino ja espresso. At the reception we have small items such as hair comb, tooth brush and tooth paste and also air plugs to be given complimentary for our guests. There are also rooms available in the inner court, which are ideal for really light sleepers.

I warmly welcome you back to our hotel so we can improve your opinion of us! Wishing you a nice week and once again, thank you for your review!

Hannover, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Sokos Hotel is very centrally located, opposite the central railway station and a the bus departure. All main attractions of Helsinki are within walking distance, to reach the harbour you need 15 minutes. In the bottom of the building is a supermarket and a shopping centre, so everything you need is nearby.

The welcome was friendly, even though they had my room not ready at 2pm, but ok, they guaranteed 3pm. It is only hard to imagine such a big hotel having no room ready.

But: Parking is expensive (32 EUR per day), the rooms are 80years-style furnished, and there is such a mess of people enjoying the 10th-floor restaurant for ordinary breakfast that you cannot find a free chair/table. And there is a mess of people waiting in front of the elevators after breakfast going down to their rooms, as you are not allowed to use staircases. And there is a mess of people waiting in front of the elevators on the floors below with their luggage to go down to the lobby for checkout, but the elevators are already full.

Downstairs at the lobby, the checkout was done within seconds. When I mentioned the queues waiting upstairs in front of the elevators, the receptionists only murmered something about peak times and so on. But simply opening the stairs between the breakfast and the room floors would have relaxed the situation immensely.

It looks like the hotel is primarily booked by tourists (or groups), so this is probably the reason why they don't care about individuals. There is no, and absolutely no, personal treatment. For this more than 100 EUR for a single room is too much.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Vaakuna, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I am so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your hole stay.

Our hotel was built for the Olympic games in 1952 and some parts of the building are protected by the National Board of Antiquities. Due to these kind of renovation restrictions there sometimes can be a queu to the three lifts in the lobby. At these times we also let guests to use the staff lifts and the stairs are also available to be used. Thanks to your feedback, we try to mark the stairs better.
I warmly welcome you back to our hotel so we can improve your opinion of us!
Harri Sinisalo
Service mgr.
Kuopio, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed overnight while in business trip to Helsinki. Picked Sokos Hotel Vaakuna since it was close to railway station and I was travelling with train.

I read somewhewre that there are some rooms available with a balcony and kiddingly asked for a single room with a balcony from a very friendly and helpful receptionist. To my surprise it was arranged right away!

Room was small and there was indeed a balcony with chairs and table. Too bad the weather was dreadful all the time so I couldn't really enjoy that.

Breakfast in the tenth floor restaurant is decent but thre restaurant itself is very nice. The view over the city centre is really worth seeing!

Room Tip: Ask a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Vaakuna, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
A warm thank you for your review. In future, if you travel back to Helsinki, you are of course warmly welcome to visit us again, and remember to ask the balcony room again.

Harri Sinisalo
Service Manager
Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna Helsinki
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed in this hotel on business for two nights in September 2013.
It is in a very central location; close to the main shopping area and the train station. The staff on reception were very friendly and the breakfast in the morning was of a good standard.

Some of the points that let it down:-

The room was very small. The bed was no bigger than sleeping on a sofa. The bathroom was also tiny and there was nothing extra in the way of toiletries.
The restaurant attached ot the hotel was very basic.

Overall the hotel is in a good location but in my opinion is expensive for what it is, I would rate it as a 3 star rather than a 4 star.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Vaakuna, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you and my appreciations for your review.

I am so sorry to hear, that your were not satisfied with the size of your room and your bed.
Unfortunately our single rooms are built smaller and the space is very limited.

I warmly welcome you back to our hotel so we can take better care of you and show you, that
we also have nicer bigger rooms.

I wish you a nice week and, again, thank your for your feedback.

Nicolai Muhsal
Service Manager
Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna Helsinki
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna? Share your experiences!