“Room with a view” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Kuopio, Finland
“Room with a view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed overnight while in business trip to Helsinki. Picked Sokos Hotel Vaakuna since it was close to railway station and I was travelling with train.

I read somewhewre that there are some rooms available with a balcony and kiddingly asked for a single room with a balcony from a very friendly and helpful receptionist. To my surprise it was arranged right away!

Room was small and there was indeed a balcony with chairs and table. Too bad the weather was dreadful all the time so I couldn't really enjoy that.

Breakfast in the tenth floor restaurant is decent but thre restaurant itself is very nice. The view over the city centre is really worth seeing!

Room Tip: Ask a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Vaakuna, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
A warm thank you for your review. In future, if you travel back to Helsinki, you are of course warmly welcome to visit us again, and remember to ask the balcony room again.

Harri Sinisalo
Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna Helsinki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed in this hotel on business for two nights in September 2013.
It is in a very central location; close to the main shopping area and the train station. The staff on reception were very friendly and the breakfast in the morning was of a good standard.

Some of the points that let it down:-

The room was very small. The bed was no bigger than sleeping on a sofa. The bathroom was also tiny and there was nothing extra in the way of toiletries.
The restaurant attached ot the hotel was very basic.

Overall the hotel is in a good location but in my opinion is expensive for what it is, I would rate it as a 3 star rather than a 4 star.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Vaakuna, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you and my appreciations for your review.

I am so sorry to hear, that your were not satisfied with the size of your room and your bed.
Unfortunately our single rooms are built smaller and the space is very limited.

I warmly welcome you back to our hotel so we can take better care of you and show you, that
we also have nicer bigger rooms.

I wish you a nice week and, again, thank your for your feedback.

Nicolai Muhsal
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel was built for the 1952 Helsinki Olympics and the foyer, restaurant and many of the fittings are very faithful to the original design as they have to be due to the heritage overlay. If comfort is more important than the design - then you may want to take some photos in the foyer and the 10th floor restaurant and stay somewhere else. Unfortunately some of the rooms are ageing. Lots of wood panelling, we had a queen bed that had seen better days. The location is brilliant - directly opposite the train station.

Room Tip: We've stayed twice, the rooms overlooking the train station are much quieter, and darker, than t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

thank you for your review. Sorry to hear that the room was not to your satisfaction.
Our hotel has actually acknowledged the aging of the rooms and we are waiting for green light
from the board for renovation.

Of course we would like to welcome you back to our hotel. Perhabs after the renovation, when our rooms are in better condition.

Nicolai Muhsal
Tampere, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Vaakuna is right in the centre of Helsinki, next to the railway and metro station. There's a department store on the lower floors and a grocery store in the basement of the same building.

Inside, the lobby and corridors still retain their 1950's style impressive interior. The rooms, however, felt a bit dated in a bad way. Our room on the 8th floor was smallish but clean and most importantly quiet all through the weekend. A safe would have been nice to have in the room. Wi-fi was fast and free to use.

The breakfast room was quite busy. Breakfast is included in the rate, the selection was ok, but not really anything special or specifically Finnish. On the negative side, there was no bacon available at all. The view from the top floor restaurant is nice though so it's worth to wait for one of the window tables to became available.

All in all, this hotel is good at the moment if you value the transport connections and you get a good discounted rate like we did, so we were quite happy with our stay as we knew what to expect.

For the full price, at the moment there are better options available elsewhere in the city. I understand a renovation is being planned so it might be wise to check again when it's completed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review!

Our hotel was built for 1952 Olympic games and yes, room renovations are always done at certain time range. The breakfast is served on the 10th floor and the view over centre of Helsinki is certainly great in my opionion too. The selection at breakfast varies from time to time and bacon is also on the list of products. The location in the middle of the city centre is handy for our guests and the windows do keep the noice from the street away as you mentioned.

I am glad that you were happy with your stay with us and I hope to see you again when next visiting Helsinki!

Kuopio, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The hotel is near Kamppi and railway station. I had a weekend stay, and there was a very noisy wedding party, which didn't allow me to sleep more than few hours. The hotel apologized and I got a refund from the room price. Room was clean and view from the 9th floor terrace excellent. Bed was a little uncomfortable. Breakfast was just great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

Welcome back when next visiting Helsinki!

UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had great hopes for this hotel. Its location is great, everything, bars, restaurants, transport links on the doorstep but that is about as good as it gets! We had to wait 20 minutes in a very long queue to check in. We had booked a twin room but when we got to the room they had given us a double bed with 2 quilts. The room was shabby and the dressing table looked like my old teacher's desk from primary school. The room was small and very dated. We weren't prepared to share the bed, particularly as one side was jammed against the wall. When we complained the receptionist said it was only for one night and couldn't we just manage? She acknowledged their mistake but said the hotel was very busy. We persisted and were finally given another room. This room was nicer but still very basic and shabby furniture. The main problem however is the lift. There were only 2 or 3 and the reception is on the ground floor but the hotel doesn't start until the 6th floor so you kind of need them. They are small, 2 or 3 people max without luggage. It is a large hotel so we were constantly waiting for lifts and I mean for a long time. Breakfast was nice but it was on the top floor so the lift took ages to come.Shabby, dated and badly organised. Wouldn't stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I am so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay.

It was however nice to hear that your room was able to be re-organised according to your wishes. If you would please send me an e-mail I could check your booking and see for more information on your reservation.

Our hotel was built for the Olympic games in 1952 and some parts of the building are protected by the National Board of Antiquities. Due to these kind of renovation restrictions there sometimes can be a queu to the three lifts in the lobby. At these times we also let guests to use the staff lifts and the stairs are also available to be used.

I warmly welcome you back to our hotel so we can improve your opinion of us! Wishing you a nice week and once again, thank you for your review!

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel one night in the beginning of August 2013 after my vacation in Europe before returning back at home to US. Well, what to stay - as a Finn I always had understanding that hotel is very good, but I have to stay that's not the case. Rooms are very small, smell dust and overall everything is untidy. It seems that staff is taking care of this place with their left hand only. Also, beds are terrible to sleep - cheap quality of mattress I would say. The only good thing is the location as it couldn't be in more downtown Helsinki. To me this good place to stay for people who come to party in Helsinki nightlife without really caring about the place or sleep quality. I am not going to return this hotel in the future, but will stay at Crowne Plaza where I stayed earlier in July 2013.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review! I am sorry to hear that your room was not in the condition it should have been and I do apologise.

I would appreciate you writing me an e-mail with your name or your room number that way we can evaluate the housekeeper responsible for your room and hence we will be able to give necessary advice on how to provide the satisfying level of cleaning.

I warmly welcome you back to our hotel so we can improve your opinion of us! Wishing you a nice weekend and once again, thank you for your review!

Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, Helsinki

Been to Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna? Share your experiences!