“Overall very good; some of the inconveniences of an old building” 4 of 5 stars

You added Solo Sokos Hotel Torni to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Yrjonkatu 26, Helsinki 00100, Finland (Kampinmalmi)   |
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Los Angeles, California
“Overall very good; some of the inconveniences of an old building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Stayed 4 nights, in 2 different rooms. Stylish old building, centrally located, a 5 min walk from the railway station. Clean rooms and bathrooms, comfortable bed. Room amenities include coffee maker and safe, although the latter is too small for a laptop. Wifi is included. Fabulous breakfast with a large selection of high quality items. Friendly English-speaking staff. Awesome view from the rooftop bar.
The hotel also has many of the inconveniences of old buildings: unnecessary steps everywhere (front entrance, hallways), tiny elevator which also serves the rooftop bar, resulting in long waits, inability to individually adjust the room temperature, no sound-proofing (although the noise level was acceptable), few and inconveniently located (under the desk) electrical outlets. Minimal or no shelf space in the bathroom. Housekeeping leaves some to be desired: trash cans not emptied, toiletries and coffee not replaced.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Torni-Management, Front Office Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Torni, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Dear guest,

Pleased to hear you enjoyed our breakfast as well as service.

The rooms are all a little unique, not only by the style of the room but also the shape, size and interior; none of them are exactly alike. Therefore some rooms might have a little more table space for products in the bathroom.

Sorry to hear about the room cleaning. Naturally, the rooms should be tidied daily including refilling the coffee selection & toiletries and emptying the trash, unless a guest has asked us not to clean the room. Once again my apologies, your feedback will be forwarded to our Housekeeping Manager.

Do come for another visit, we hope to see you again in the future!

Solo Sokos Hotel Torni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Finnish first
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Very clean accommodations, and friendly staff. The lift is tiny and there's only one so it can get busy, but using the stairs is just fine if you stay within the first 5 floors. Loved the view of the city from the bar on the 12th floor. Location is a 5-7 min walk from central train station making this location very convenient.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Torni-Management, Front Office Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Torni, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Mr,

Thank you for your good review! Ateljee Bar and its view bring many guests to Torni. Because of it being so popular unfortunately the lift can take a while at times. We’re sorry for this inconvenience!

Otherwise, I’m glad you found Torni good value for your money.

Wishing you a wonderful summer & welcome for another visit in Torni!

Turku, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Torni is an amazing hotel in many aspects: it's full of character with the art deco & art nouveau rooms and decor, the staff is amazing, the top floor views are breathtaking and the location just couldn't be better in Helsinki. It can even turn out to be a rather cheap hotel (a certain lower quality hotel with clouds asked for 200€ for a single while double in Torni was 25% cheaper!) on Helsinki scale - and even if it wasn't, it's definitely worth the money. Even if you might end up in a differently styled room every time you visit, you won't be disappointed. The art deco rooms are definitely my favourite in the sleek b&w style, and everything in the rooms (except the telly) ooze style from a gone era. The beds are absolutely wonderful, pillows are just right and A/C guarantees comfort on summer months. Most rooms have a bath tub (though a smaller one in regular rooms), so you can relax with bubbles after a hard day! The toiletries provided are by Thierry Mugler and have a great unisex scent - not every hotel pays that much attention to toiletries in Finland! The breakfast is one of the best in Helsinki hotels with good fruit selection and I love the hotel's dark roasted coffee served to tables! The breakfast might be a bit busy sometimes, but I wouldn't miss it for the world! It feels like even the odd kids staying at Torni magically learn to behave in the beautiful breakfast room... Torni takes good care of celiacs as well, so don't hesitate to ask for gluten-free buns and pastries at brekkie!

As the rooms are decorated true to selected eras, they unfortunately cause slight problems to modern nerds: there just simply isn't enough many plugs in the rooms (esp. with two nerds staying) and even if you manage to juggle between charging tablet/mobile/laptop/ipod/everything, the plugs aren't in the most convenient spots. Every time I want to make a cuppa in the rooms, I end up wandering around, looking for a place for the kettle and usually have to just place it somewhere on the floor.
Though the dual control faucets in the bathrooms are nostalgic, they are also a bit of a hassle, but on a short stay they are rather endearing.
Every time I use the Forum garage, I never seem to find the shortest way to Torni and end up taking weird routes inside the shopping mall. A sign or two more inside the garage wouldn't hurt anyone...

Room Tip: If you're an extremely light sleeper, ask for a room not facing the inner yard beer garden.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Miss,

First of all thank you for writing such a thorough review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoy visiting Hotel Torni.

Every now and then we have good campaigns on our own web pages, so I recommend checking the latest campaigns for a great rate when planning a visit to Helsinki.

We actually don’t have air-conditioning, just a cooling system. In addition we provide fans to the room in case it still feels too warm. However, I’m glad you find it cool enough to sleep in the room without one.

Next time when you park in P-Forum, try to find a spot near Kalevankatu, the exit will bring you just around the corner from Torni and is probably the shortest route to reach us.

Looking forward to your next visit in Torni!

Sussex, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I completely agree with the comments about the lifts, I went with colleagues to the bar at the top of the tower it took us 20 mins! Also be aware that there are very narrow winding stairs taking you up the last floor. The view is wonderful and definitely worth the climb though.It was a warm and sunny evening so very busy and I waited 15 mins to be served and it is probably the most expensive round of drinks in a fairly average bar I have ever brought €70 for 3 drinks!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Slough, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Stayed here for the weekend. Great hotel, helpful staff & an amazing breakfast buffet. We were there over graduation day, when the streets were full of crazy students, but I still found the location quiet. Great & distinctive decor in the public areas of the hotel, although burnt orange for the room felt a bit like staying in a paint catalogue!
Thoroughly recommend a cocktail in the tower at sunset - fabulous views over Helsinki

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Torni-Management, Front Office Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Torni, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Ms,

Thank you for the nice review! I absolutely agree with you about the great views from our rooftop bar.

The color scheme in the room varies depending on the floor. Next time you can try another floor or even another style if that would suit your taste better. Just ask the receptionist, we'll be happy to help you find a room you like. :)

Have a nice summer and welcome back to Torni!

Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

This was my second stay at Hotel Torni.

This time I stayed at Torni for 5 nights with a group of friends. One of us had the suite and some of us standard rooms. The standard room I had was very large and spacious, and nicely decorated locating on the ground floor. Coming and going was extremely easy, and the room was 100% soundproofed so we didn't hear any noise from outside.
We also stayed in the suite for one of the nights and the bed was a lot more comfortable there. The suite is gorgeous, has it's own balcony and sitting area big enough for 6-8 people. This is ideal for meeting up and having a few celebration drinks before going out, like we did.
The bathrooms are decent. The staff very helpful and lovely, always ready to answer questions and give advice, ten points goes to them!
The bar downstairs is great and they serve brilliant Irish Coffee. The top level bar is always busy and crowded; don't expect to get seats inside. Worth checking it out thou, as the view is amazing. Tip; you get a brilliant few from the bar toilet too, and it was never occupied when one of us needed it.

There were some issues that force me to rate this a lot lower than I would like to.

1. The lifts. I am sure this is not the first or last complaint about them. If you wish to go to the top level bar take the steps. Before I realised this I once waited for 20 minutes for it to arrive. When it finally did, it stopped on the fourth floor and came back down again... The other lift only takes you to the third floor so it is pointless. This is not the smallest hotel, so only having one lift there is a bit painful.
2. The TV was not working. I don't go to a hotel to watch telly, but this time we had agreed to watch the Eurovision semi-final in the room. This sounds sad, but it has a very long roots and tradition with us and just cannot be missed. We ordered the food and the drinks only to realise that the channel it was supposed to be on wasn't working! Called the reception and the best they could offer is to go see it in their bar. They even offered drink vouchers which was kind.
However, we had the pizzas and a 3-litre box of red wine with us, so two medium glasses and a bag of peanuts was not quite the same :-( This was a huge disappointment, and what made it worse was the fact that it was a known issue but nothing had been done about it. Tut-tut...

Overall I would recommend this place purely because of the staff and location, which couldn't be much better.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Torni-Management, Front Office Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Torni, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Mr,

Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review!

We appreciate your kind words about the staff, happy to hear we could be of assistance.

We recently changed to Tempur mattresses so the beds should be quite similar. Of course there can be some minor differences, which you noticed. ;)

I’m sorry that you had to wait for the elevator; Atelier Bar is such a popular meeting place that at times the elevator gets congested. Your feedback will be forwarded to the management and we’ll look into the matter.

I also apologize for the issues with channel 2 on TV. We have been working with the service provider regarding this matter in order to fix it. Unfortunately there are some problems with it no matter how often we update the system. I’m terribly sorry that your plans didn’t work out because of that!

Despite the elevator & TV, we hope to see you again in Torni!

Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed for a full week at Easter time in April, 2014. The young lady at the front desk was warm and welcoming, though she forgot to mention that your room key powers the electricity in the guest rooms by inserting it in a plastic device on the wall just by the door when you enter. Near dusk, I visited her again to inquire how to make the lamps work and she apologized for not telling me sooner and was so pleasant again. When my electricity converter didn't fit properly, another helpful staff member gave me a proper loaner, without a fee.

Each morning, the complimentary aamianen (breakfast in Finnish) is top-notch, set up very tastefully in probably five separate sections, brimming with: artisan breads, smoked salmon and other meats, yogurts, cheeses and fig jam, coffee, juice, you name it. All the usual cooked and cook-to-order items can be found, along with traditional Finnish fare. All beautifully displayed and delicious. It was a joy to start each day with this lavish assortment of thoughtfully prepared and presented items.

Traveling solo, I took a small, modern room on the highest east-facing floor I could get. Room 1004 is one of the sleek rooms (as opposed to the deco or Jugenstil style rooms, which I've read are also nice) and, being just a couple floors below the ever-popular Ateljee rooftop bar, it features similar, inspiring views.

The hotel's main shortcoming, however, is the small elevator serving the high-floor rooms - as well as the rooftop bar, Ateljee. If you are a resident of Helsinki, you would likely take out-of-town guests to Ateljee to drink in the view with a cocktail. Likewise, if you are a tourist in Helsinki, even one not staying at the Torni, you are likely to visit Ateljee for the same purpose. All this is to say that you may wait a while to get to or from your 10th floor room, since you are apparently competing for elevator space with all of Helsinki and its visitors.

But, if you want to start your day off with an awesome breakfast, in a quiet yet well-known hotel with a good reputation, just steps from the very center of town (without being plunked right in the epicenter of all the tourist pedestrian traffic like you are along the Esplanade) and looking out over the city lights at night is appealing, you're not likely to find a comparable option with as much character. Really, the location is PRIMO. If you want to try the 1928 art deco Yrjonkatu Swimming Hall, it is right across the street. I got a full-body massage at the day spa right next door too. Walk one block east and you are at Stockmann's department store and the western end of the elegant Esplanade and it's boutique shopping and famed Cafe Kappeli.

As for price, it is not the cheapest place in town, nor is it the most expensive. It does offer great value for the price, and that in itself is valuable. I had contemplated spending more for the luxe of Hotel Kamp, but I got to do a lot of fabulous shopping with the money I saved staying at the Torni! At the end of the day it was rewarding enough to have a lovely panna cotta at the Kamp, then escape the crowds in that area to return to the Torni where the panorama of the city, including both the Lutheran and Uspenski cathedrals, and all the way to the waterfront, could be gazed at from my perch above. I would return to the Torni again and again.

Room Tip: East facing rooms in the tower allow you to see the cathedrals and heart of the city best.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear Ms,

Thank you for your friendly and thorough review! Glad to hear you chose to stay with us in Torni and enjoyed your visit in Helsinki - both sightseeing and shopping.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience of having to wait for the elevator. It has been a challenge for us, after all it is the only elevator going to both the higher floor rooms as well as the popular Atelier Bar. I apologize for that!

I'm happy to hear the breakfast fulfilled your needs. I will forward your lovely words about it to the breakfast team.

We hope you will visit us again on your next trip to Helsinki!

Solo Sokos Hotel Torni

Been to Solo Sokos Hotel Torni? Share your experiences!