“nice roome, gorgeous lobby, good location, good value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of GLO Hotel Art

Save Saved
You added GLO Hotel Art to your Saves list
GLO Hotel Art
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lonnrotinkatu 29, Helsinki 00180, Finland (Formerly Hotel Linna)   |
Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Jacksonville, Vermont
“nice roome, gorgeous lobby, good location, good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Really beautiful hotel in a historic building with a tasteful modern high style interior design. The hotel is in a good location walking distance to restaurants, the west harbor, the antiques flea market, and the design district.

We were not aware the hotel offered the use of bicycles untill the weekend after we stayed the New York Times ran a 36 hours in Helsinki article which mentioned the hotel. It might of been nice if this was mentioned at check in.

The interior design of the room was really stunning, gave me ideas for remodeling at home.

I can thing of two minor downsides to the hotel neither of which seemed major to me but I mention them only in case other people might feel these issues are improtant to them.

1. The hotel has a sauna, but it is 18 euros per hour per person to use it. That seems a bit steep to me since other hotels we stayed in offerred use of the Sauna for free. I doubt the hotel is getting many takers on that and would suggest the management consider repricing the sauna.

2. The hotel combines a historic buidling witha new building which meant a bit of a confusing schlep down dark various corridors to get to ones room. The lights are automated so they turn on after you have entered the corridors which can be disorienting to people not accostomed to this. One has to pass through a number of doors, some of which open automatically and others you have to put your card key in to find your way. We had trouble finding the room at first and I noticed other guests did as well. The front desk staff did not get out from behind the desk to help guests find their way. I would suggest the management train the front desk staff to walk guests to their room one time upon initial check in so that guests feel more comfortable int he hotel and do not have the disorienting experience of getting lost in the dark.

This was not a problem for me, but I have good eyesight. I mention it only as it is an area with room for improvement in an otherwise excellent hotel. Also, if you are interested in contemporary interior design this hotel is not to be missed.

Room Tip: We had a room in the new building, it was a great room and we were very comfortable
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Glo Hotel Art (formerly the Palace) is located in the design district. Exit the train station, walk to the far corner of Stockmann's, and hang a right. After a few blocks more you arrive at the hotel. From the hotel you can walk anyplace in the central area of Helsinki in good weather. My room was a good value and appear to have been recently renovated. I had a 2nd floor room looking out on the central courtyard. It was comfortable and quiet during my entire 6 day stay with no noted issues. The room had everything I needed for a place to rest between sightseeing. The seating in the lobby area was comfortable and there was also underused seating out in the cental courtyard as well. The free WIFI reception was a little challenging in my room at times but it worked great in the public areas of the building like the lobby lounge and basement area used for breakfast. The staff was friendly; even the maintenance people took the time to say hello. One word of caution is to pay attention to the raised thresholds on the doorways and your feet will thank you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Glo Hotel Art is a boutique-style hotel in Helsinki city centre, a few blocks west from the railway station. The lobby is in a atmospheric vaulted, former university building. However, the rooms themselves are in the adjacent building, that doesn't quite live up to the impression the lobby gives. The rooms are very modern with interesting, and even gimmicky design.

The room was comfortable and had coffee and tea making facilities, free Wi-Fi and a shower reminiscent of a rain forest. The amenities provided an enjoyable stay, but we did miss mini toiletries and a bath tub.

The breakfast was good, varied and interesting. In addition to your usual croissants, yogurts and porridge, the hotel offered a strange fish noodle dish as a special of the week. The staff was friendly and professional.

The hotel is quite expensive, but maybe not so in comparison to other similar hotels in Helsinki - and you get more personality than elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

Book it if you can - we loved this hotel. Beautiful bathrooms (a tiny bit transparent, but not a problem), super lobby / bar area, good wifi, 10 mins walk to town centre.

it is virtually impossible to turn the air con down in the room so it is far too hot and stuffy at night. also slightly weird door system, with countless doors between room and reception area, but we didn't care!

• Stayed July 2012
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We enjoyed the Hotel Glo Art. The room was clean and efficiently organized. The complimentary breakfast was very good, and the staff were attentive and friendly. The area is quiet, yet walking distance to everything in Central Helsinki.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Out of all my trips in Europe I have to say Scandinavia was the most expensive one in terms of hotels. Helsinki was no exception. It was difficult to get a hotel that meets my standards for less than 200 USD. I first booked this through booking.com and then I found a rate that is $30 less per night through aa.com so I grabbed it. We had a standard room.

From Vantaa airport we took the finair bus to the central station. We took the tram and walked a few blocks to the hotel. We could have skipped the tram coz it really is walking distance from the central station if you are fit and active individuals with not a lot of luggage. My boyfriend dragged our 50 lb luggage while I had the carry on and we strolled through the streets just fine. If you take a cab it will be 5 mins away. Im always looking for ways to save and walking has saved us a lot and you discover a lot of things when you walk.

When we arrived at the hotel around 1ish and we were welcomed by a friendly and helpful employee who helped me find the quiet room that I requested. It was room 604. From the outside and the lobby of the hotel it reminds me of a medieval palace with modern furnishings. The lobby gives the impression that the hotel is not that big but in fact it is. It took us 5 mins to get from the lobby to our room. There's a driveway that separates the lobby and then we had to walk through a long hallway, take the elevator and then walk through another hallway and then take an elevator one floor up to the 6th floor, it seems to be in another wing of the building. This really didnt bother us at all because we were on the top floor towards the end and it was really quiet.

The room was modern and well designed. Its compact but still comfortable. If you are used to American hotel rooms that are huge and spacious then you might not like it but I prefer quality and functionality rather than size. The room was just right for 2 people I dont think you could squeeze a third person there. Its not that small, it is cozy. The room had hardwood floors and the bed was really awesome. It had a remote where you can adjust either side to incline either the top or the bottom half, I really liked the bed. You have small work desk, a TV hanging, a small closet space and that's all you really need. The bathroom is another story. It is smaller than most bathrooms you will see, you cant fit 2 people in there at once. You can turn on the sink faucet while sitting on the toilet. There not a lot of space for my stuff to go on the sink but it had some shelves above the toilet. The bathroom was not great but it wasnt that awful, the toilet area is divided by a glass door from the shower, if your a big guy, you might hit the shower walls if you like to move around in the shower. For petite size people, you will be fine. All I cared about is that the water pressure is great and the temperature was perfect. Cleanliness is of prime importance and this room does not disappoint so I was quite happy with the simple modern compact yet comfortable accommodation. What disappointed me are the following
- no full length mirror
- NO HANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!
- no mini fridge - we usually buy yogurt which we store in the fridge, you can always store it from the front desk but geez thats so inconvenient.
- no clocks (this seems common in scandinavia hotels???)
- NO TISSUE/kleenex, I had to use toilet paper instead.

there is really no view from the room, just the rooftops. The building across is so close that you can see whats going on and im sure they can see whats going on in your room. So close those curtains if you want privacy. I had the best sleep in this hotel, no noise, no interruptions, no earplugs, I was more than happy. This room is for light sleepers like me. Im not sure what it would be like if we were not on the top floor since the hotel room had hardwood floors, i wonder how good the floor soundproofing is.

There is nothing much to say about service, its good friendly service which is more often than not very helpful. There is only one computer by the lobby and whenever we need it, we were always able to use it. The hotel has bikes that you can use for free as well and we used it on our last day, we should have used from day 1. Biking is a good way to explore Helsinki especially if the weather permits. Helsinki is bike friendly without being overwhelming. Its not that super crowded like Vienna, cities in Italy, etc where there's hundreds of bikers. We covered a lot of ground in a single day using the bikes. I recommend it.

We realized we are not into finnish food at all so we decided to try other cuisines. a block away from the hotel is antipur which serves nepalese cuisine, it wasnt that pretty from the outside but the food was very good considering we are nepalese virgins. You always leave a restaurant feeling that you paid so much and didn't feel well fed. It was the exact opposite here. We also tried Kitch which is more of a casual dining restaurant, they serve the best burgers in the area believe it or not

The location of this hotel is really good, its in a quiet residential street but just a few blocks from the action. We were able to walk from this hotel to a lot of sites. Im sure there are other hotels with better locations but I like hotels that are not in the smack middle of all the action and noise but more tucked in behind the action but its still just a walk away.

The breakfast was just ok, not that good not that bad. Ok selection, ok quality, You have to pay extra for omelet or scrambled eggs, That was quite a turn off but I can live with it.

No complaints in this hotel coz the good attributes overshine the not so good one. I totally recommend this place and if ever im back, i would stay here again if I get the right price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ljubljana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotel has been refurbished in early 2012.
The rooms are spacious and nice, breakfast good, restaurant in the basement serves good food.
It takes approx. 56 minutes walking to central Helsinki.
But, taxi ride from/to airport can be quite expensive (more than 40 euros). Better option is to use Finnair airport bus, which takes you to the central bus station, from there it will take less than 10 minutes of walking or a short (much cheaper) taxi ride...
All in all: a pleasant experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to GLO Hotel Art? Share your experiences!