“Old Helsinki charm.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 66 hotels in Helsinki
Brisbane, Australia
“Old Helsinki charm.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

This lovely old hotel may not be for everyone but if you like historic places then there is no better. It is centrally located - spitting distance from the railway station. The rooms are small and fully functional with coffee, tea and bar fridge. There isn't any A/C and we used the fan and left the window open a but and is was really comfortable. This may be a problem in summer and has been covered here in depth by previous reviews. Our room was on the 3rd floor and we didn't have any club or road noise at all.
The hotel bar is pretty good and the bar man we had made us some pretty amazing drinks.
We had some minor issues with the free wired Internet and we were provided wifi, which is usually pay for use, until it was fixed.
Overall, this is an old hotel with all the charm.

• Stayed September 2012

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Lahti, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The location of the hotel could not be more central. Like said here earlier, hotel is quite datet, but has nice old charm.
My biggest complaints come from the noise, that wake me at 01 am. I stayed at the third floor. After a long working day I was exhausted, and the next day even more, since the beat from the next door nightclub kept me awake.
I called to reception, where they told me that the music will go on till 3.30 am. They were really sorry and promised to call to club and ask if they could turn the base down. I don't know if they did. The lady n the reception asked if I'm staying more than one night - guess I could have changed the room if I stayed longer, but I didn't.
The room was spacious, but had no AC. They have a pillow menu, and you can ask for a different kind of pillow from reception. I came to my room so late I didn't bother, which I later regretted since the two pillows in the room were really hard. But this was my mistake.
In the morning I had to call to the reception because there were electricity problems in my bathroom so that I could not use the hair dryer. The new one was brought really fast.
There is no sauna in the hotel. If I stayed on my leisure time I'd miss it, but this time I didn't have time to use it anyway.
Breakfast was ok, nothing to complain, but nothing to give special thanks either. Bar of the hotel is expensive - at least in my opinion nearly 12 euros is a killer price of a drink.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is safe from the nightclub noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Vehmas, Manager at Hotel Seurahuone Helsinki, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Elina S. Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience at the Hotel Seurahuone Helsinki. We would like to apologize that we failed to offer you a peaceful sleeping experience. All comments received from our guests are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

We have agreed a level of decibels that the club may not exceed. We have notified them about the incident and asked them to keep better control of their music level in order to ensure a good night sleep at the rooms close to the club.

I'm very pleased you liked generally our hotel. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Yours sincerely
Timo Vehmas
Brand Manager
St. Petersburg, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Nice-looking hotel with old-fashioned, but comfortable furniture - chairs in rooms and in restaurant are very good. Breakfast - also good. But - no air-condition (in summer it could be terrible, because, the windows are looking on the busiest corner of the city), no- sauna, no- gym. Only funny signs on some doors, like "Telephone" are very nice. By stying you've the feeling to be in middle of 1930 :). Coffee for breakfast was outstanding good! The assortment for breakfast - not outstanding, but very reasonable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Vaasa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel has succeeded in maintaining some of its old charm and combining elements that bring the hotel to the 21st century. The rooms are warm and their decor is inviting. The breakfast leaves a little to be desired for. The only issue I had with this hotel, really, was the lack of airconditioning in the guest rooms.

Room Tip: The location of the hotel is quite central, so especially if you're traveling over the weekend...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Europe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Being the oldest continuously run hotel in Helsinki, it is no surprise that Seurahuone is located in an old historical building that has some of the old world charm with old fashioned ornate decor, impressive stair cases etc.

The rooms vary in size and lay-out. No air conditioning.

There is a lot of traffic in front of the hotel, because the hotel is in the centre of the city, opposite to the train station and busy streets.

Breakfast is decent and it is served in a huge and impressive dining hall.

I have been in this hotel a few times and I have mixed feeling about their service: most times the service has been excellent, but a few times they have failed miserably providing appalling service!

It is very unusual for a Finnish hotel not to have a sauna, but Seurahuone does not have one.

The service has been good most of the times, but twice they have failed miserably.

Their rack-rates are not worth paying for, but if you get a good prize and like old world style, then go for it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The TV could have been moore modern and litlle bit bigger and moore movable and moore channels,further moore ,bad AC,but I didn`t ask about it so maybe it was my fault so I had to open the window all night,with some noice from street,but I slept well anyhow.
The breakfast was very good and varied,but there should have been stronger cheese also

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great hotel, very centrally located. We had a club room on the 5th floor which overlooked the railway station & square, yes there was some noise in the evening (thanks to a street entertainer) but once the windows were closed the room was sound proofed. The room was spacious and very comfortable (king size bed, 2 chairs for relaxing, desk area) with lovely wooden flooring, the bathroom was on the small side but well equiped. No air conditioning due to the age of the hotel but a fan is provided in the room.
Breakfast was served in the old ball room, there was the usual choice of food & gluten free bread provided on request. The roof bar & resturant were closed for the summer when we visited in July, think they both reopen mid august. No parking at the hotel, we parked in the nearby Kamppi shopping centre underground carpark, which you can buy a discounted ticket for at the hotel reception on check out, cost 20 euros for 24hr a saving of around 10 euros. There is also the railway carpark directly oppoiste the hotel but not aware of the parking costs.
As previoulsy mentioned in other reports, would recommend a walk down the grand staircase in the hotel to take in the spendor of the hotel (there is a small lift if like us you were on the top floor).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Seurahuone Helsinki? Share your experiences!