“Brilliant location, but that's about it...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Scandic Marski Hotel

Save Saved
You added Scandic Marski Hotel to your Saves list
Scandic Marski Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mannerheimintie 10, Helsinki 00101, Finland (Kampinmalmi)   |
Ranked #25 of 66 hotels in Helsinki
Turku, Finland
“Brilliant location, but that's about it...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My three points comes only for the location and the public areas. The lobby, bar and restaurant are nice and has a nice atmosphere. We stayed for one night fri-sat, and it was nice to sit in the busy bar with a international feeling to it, before going to bed. The young man behind the bar was very professional and polite.

Upon our arrival to the room, we were welcomed by a "wall" of bad and hot air when entering our room. It smelled like someone had just left the room after sleeping in it. The carpet was not vacumed and it was covered in dust and small bits of garbage.

I switched the AC-controll to -5 when we went out for our shopping in the city. When we returned the same hot unfresh air was still there. We left the window open and i switched the AC from "auto" to level 3.
When we returned from our dinner, the air was a bit better, and we decided not to go to the reception and instead we went tired to bed and closed the window. In a couple of hours we both woke up to the bad air again and lied awake the rest of the night.

In the morning while showering we discovered a disgusting surprise in the shower. The shower wall was installed beside the bathroom wall, leaving a small space between them. In this space we were able to discover BLACK dirt swimming around in the water from the shower. The shower drain was also clogged, so while showering we had to stand in the water and the black dirt spread around our feet. It was really nasty. There was also black dirt in the corners of the bathroom.
The room was overall not fresh, more in a serious need of an update. The colors and lightning was not inviting at all.
Even though i get a discount in Scandic hotels due to my work, i still expect to receive the same standard in my rooms as the other customers, since i still pay for my stays. This was a huge disappointment, and i really think Scandic should get a grip if they don't want to lose their reputation. This is not what i consider Scandinavian interior and standard.
The room was located in what the receptionist called the "new side". The building was connected to the main building by a cold glass corridor. The "new side" had a antique lift with doors with bars that you have to open and close manually. The corridors where decorated with dark greys and black colors and did not look very inviting. I wonder from where this name "new side" comes...
I took pictures of the "issues" in our room , informed the receptionist politely about them when we checked out. She took notes and thanked me for informing her about the flaws in the room. She compensated us by giving us the 25€ parking for free. I thought she acted in a professional way and handled the situation well and politely in the Finnish kind of way, not making a fuss about it.
The breakfast was good, but very busy this Saturday morning, which lead to some empty plates, long cues and full tables. It seemed that the staff did not have time to fill the plates with new food, before they were empty again.
I had not lived at this hotel before even though i am very familiar with Helsinki as a city, but Marski did certainly not live up to it's old reputation and was a true disappointment.

Room Tip: Avoid the "new side"
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

471 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Hindas, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Finnair put a last minute change in my plans once again and I decided to stay at the Marski. I mainly choose it for the very central location. Driving into the garage I was truly happy that I had a very tiny rental car. The lift from the garage was broken down so I had to drag my luggage up the stairs to the reception. I asked for a nice and quiet room. What I got was a dark, smelly room on the third floor with the roof top of the courtyard right outside my window. The air-conditioning on the roof is so loud, that although the room was so very smelly I did have to close the window to get at least some sleep. The hotel was renovated in 1991 and you really feel the urgent need for renovation or for pulling down the establishment. The furniture is scratched and looks like you used to see in the 80's. I had all forgotten about those useless, loud hair dryers on the wall with a hose for the air. I truly hope that they soon take the Marski down and build a new hotel as the location is just in the middle of everything!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Lund, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have stayed at Scandic Marski many times whilst travelling in business. As Scandic hotels always, this is a proper, well-funtioning hotel chain. Not personal or luxurious; but safe, environmentally friendlier than maybe other - and the breakfast is ok, but not if you´re seeking whopping culinary experiences.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

For someone who travel to Helsinki for a weekend or for a business trip it’s a very good choice. Super central hotel, close to everything, with modern design and a great restaurant also. The only (-) is the rooms. Rooms must be renovated, they look very old even they are clean.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
St. George, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Firstly, I was able to get a 50% discount code online by searching for "Scandic discount codes".
Very easy and makes the stay more affordable. Use the hotel website with the code.
The location cannot be better. That is worth so much when traveling. The service was excellent.
The breakfast was a complete spread. Anything you could think of was available in the buffet. It is always nice to eat local breakfast with many choices to try.
The rooms were not the best. Also, our room was in another building which required a long walk via a connecting walkway. The elevator to our room was old fashioned euro style in the middle of a grand stairwell. If someone forgets to close the elevator gate then the elevator will not work and you will have to use the stairs.
Other than those small gripes the hotel was spot on.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Pros:

- Excellent location, right in Helsinki's main street, very close to the Central Railway Station;
- Friendly staff;
- Very good breakfast, with lots of things to choose from;
- I didn't try the sauna, but I can bet it's pretty good.

Cons:

- The entire hotel radiates old-fashion. The bathrooms in particular will actually take you back in time. It will feel like you've just travelled 50+ years into the past. The hairdrier looks like something out of a Fellini movie. The bathtub is clean but looks old. There is no glass on it, but a curtain. The rest of the room, although spacious enough, also looks old-fashioned. That isn't a bad thing per se, but we were expecting something different;
- The TV was a CRT (I think I haven't seen a CRT anywhere for more than 5 years), which had lousy image and sound quality. There were many channels to choose from, though.

Verdict: Recommended. Just be prepared to take a trip down memory lane when you see the television sets, the hairdrier, the furniture, the bed, etc. However, the lobby looks modern, and so does the restaurant where you have breakfast. It feels like it's an ever changing hotel and the future hasn't reached the rooms yet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

On my recent trip I stayed at the Marski twice at the outset and end of the trip. I have stayed there several times over the years and love the location. It is a short walk to all forms of mass transportion including the Finnair airport bus at the train station which runs every 20 minutes at a very low cost of 6.30E. You are in the heart city close to theaters, concert venues, shopping, the waterfront, restaurants, bars and nightlife. The rooms are a bit dated and could use an upgrade, but are clean and comfortable.

What I appreciate the most is the customer service. I initially had an issue with one of my reservations before I arrived which was my own fault, but management was able to gracefully accomodate me. Then on my last stay the wi-fi in my room was not accessible upon check in, but reception moved me right away into a room where it was working after I informed them.

Finally it is great to sit outside with a cold beer next to bar area during the summer and watch the world go by you in this cosmopolitan city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Scandic Marski Hotel? Share your experiences!