“Nice for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti

You added Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti to your Saves list
Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Etelainen Rautatiekatu 4, Helsinki 00100, Finland (Kampinmalmi)   |
Ranked #33 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Nice for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend break. The hotel is 5* for location, and the staff where all very helpful and happy. The hotel is a little dated in deco, however it was clean and had excellent access to free wifi, both provided by the hotel and Helsinki public wifi! The breakfast included in our rate was ok, nothing special but it did set us up well for the day. Returning from a meal one evening we had a night cap in the hotel bar which we found to be good. If I return to Helsinki or if any of my friends visit in the future we would recommend this mid range/ budget hotel to them.

Stayed August 2014
Presidentti, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear wake35,
Thank you for your visit and this review. I'm glad that you enjoyed the location and that our front desk staff was helpful and happy during your time with us. Wish you welcome back in our hotel when returning to Helsinki.
Juha Sundqvist, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Asheville, Nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This Sokos worked out perfectly for us during our final days in Helsinki. It is very conveniently located near the historic Railway Station, Kiasma, and the Atteneum Museum, where there is currently a special exhibition of the art of Tove Jansson, a very famous writer in Finland. Shops, restaurants, Alco, and even a cider pub (I had a microbrew lingonberry cider there) are right around the corner. The breakfast buffet was generous and varied, with large picture windows featuring a view of the Museum of Natural History across the street. Staff at the front desk were very helpful and friendly, an English daily newspaper was provided free of charge, and we enjoyed a restaurant featuring tapas just up a small flight of stairs from the lobby. We also found an excellent tapas restaurant just two blocks away, across from the Railway Station. Convenient, clean, tidy, and a good breakfast--we were very pleased! There is also parking in the garage below the hotel, which is very pricey by U.S. standards, but this is downtown Helsinki, so that it is to be expected.

Dear CarefreeRetiree2002,
Thank you for staying with us and providing such wonderful feedback and taking the time to share your experience with other Tripadvisor readers. I hope you have a chance to return soon in Helsinki and we look forward to welcoming you back in Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

The hotel room was pretty small .. basic ..clean .. wireless .. amazing breakfast buffet .. bit grumpy receptionists .. bit old fashioned and bit depressing .. the good news is the location .. it's located in the best place of Helsinki in a walking distance from moat of the attractions and the vital places of the finnish capital

• Stayed February 2014
Presidentti, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear Sally0031,
Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed the location and breakfast while staying in out hotel. Unfortunate that the staff was not entirely successful in their service this time even though the feedback of their activities has generally been positive. Thank you again for choosing our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind Regards,
Scot in London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

A very adequate comfortable hotel in a great location - all main attractions within walking distance including Parliament building, railway station, several museums, the new concert hall, the opera house, the main shopping street and the terminal for boat trips round the harbour. Oh yes, and a beach and the old Olympic Stadium as well! Only complaint about the hotel: the shower leaked so we managed to soak all the towels. The staff were delightful and the buffet breakfast excellent. Not the most characterful hotel in the world but I'd stay here again for the location.

Room Tip: Probably better to be high up and at the back as the hotel is near a big traffic intersection.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Presidentti, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear pixieh,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us here in Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti. I truly appreciate your positive review and it is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your accommodation. I appreciate you for taking the time to write this comment and hope to see you again soon in our hotel.
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel just a few nights ago. I arrived very late and the young woman at the reception was kind enough to check me in. However, the hotel is very large with many rooms. Outside looked like there had been strange people hanging about. Broken beer bottles and cigarette butts all over the place. Wasn't very clean. The elevators floors were stained with beverages. When I arrived to my room it was okay but my bathroom was dirty and the shower looked like it hadn't been cleaned well. There were hairs all over the floor. I ran the shower water, walked out a moment and came back in to find a flooded floor. I went down and had my room changed and the young woman was nice enough to give me a comfort room but the truth is this hotel has not been kept up nor renovated since the 70's or 80's. It could be nice but it is poorly ran down and not up to the standards of a what would be considered a 4 star hotel. My room wasn't even cleaned the first day and I had to find the guy cleaning the rooms to give me fresh towels. He told me since I checked in at 3am they didn't have my room down as a room to be cleaned. My shower head was broken. Never did the breakfast but if it was the little bar at the reception area, I can hardly consider that a proper breakfast area. Comfortable sleeping but not a hotel where I felt really comfortable. One advantage is it's location within walking distance is the center of the town.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear YEJ2013,
I am sorry to hear that you found your first guest room unacceptable and our room standards which did not meet your expectations. Our housekeepers work very hard to keep our guest rooms clean and hotel room like described is not the standard at our hotel. My sincerest apologies. I hope you consider staying with us again when returning next time to Helsinki.
With kind regards,
Sankt-peterburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Booking a room in this hotel in Helsinki, I was expecting a high level worthy of four stars. But, unfortunately, the room was fairly modest, shower uncomfortable and why that double was only one shower cap, I'm not talking about slippers and robes - and they are not promised. On resershen service is good, breakfast is acceptable, and, perhaps, the main plus of the hotel - it's location, right above the bus station in the city center.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Presidentti, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Olga Z,
Thank you for your comments from your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize that we were unable to completely satisfy your needs during your visit with us. We strive to provide clean comfortable room and friendly service to our every guest. I was pleased to hear that guest service was successful and location excellent.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This hotel is well situated being close to the downtown area of Helsinki, close to the railway station and other transport. I was travelling with a group (58 Choristers) on route to the World Choir Games in Riga, Latvia. The room was clean and while not particularly large it was adequate. I had no difficulty with WiFi. I could control my room temperature with the termostat and slept well. The breakfast room was large and while busy, staff seemed to keep up with clearing tables and replenishing the buffet. Its easy to walk around Helsinki, and the markets are a must to visit. In summer the berries are plentiful and cheap.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Presidentti, Johtaja at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear John2090,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I greatly appreciate your detailed review and feel certain this information will be helpful to others traveling to our hotel. I am also pleased that your choir chose our hotel to stay in Helsinki and found it to be a good value considering the many choices in the area.
Kind regards from Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti,
Juha Sundqvist, Hotel Manager

Been to Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti? Share your experiences!