“Not really four stars for today's standards.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti

Save Saved
You added Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti to your Saves list
Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Etelainen Rautatiekatu 4, Helsinki 00100, Finland (Kampinmalmi)   |
Ranked #28 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Milan, Italy
“Not really four stars for today's standards.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel just a few nights ago. I arrived very late and the young woman at the reception was kind enough to check me in. However, the hotel is very large with many rooms. Outside looked like there had been strange people hanging about. Broken beer bottles and cigarette butts all over the place. Wasn't very clean. The elevators floors were stained with beverages. When I arrived to my room it was okay but my bathroom was dirty and the shower looked like it hadn't been cleaned well. There were hairs all over the floor. I ran the shower water, walked out a moment and came back in to find a flooded floor. I went down and had my room changed and the young woman was nice enough to give me a comfort room but the truth is this hotel has not been kept up nor renovated since the 70's or 80's. It could be nice but it is poorly ran down and not up to the standards of a what would be considered a 4 star hotel. My room wasn't even cleaned the first day and I had to find the guy cleaning the rooms to give me fresh towels. He told me since I checked in at 3am they didn't have my room down as a room to be cleaned. My shower head was broken. Never did the breakfast but if it was the little bar at the reception area, I can hardly consider that a proper breakfast area. Comfortable sleeping but not a hotel where I felt really comfortable. One advantage is it's location within walking distance is the center of the town.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Presidentti, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear YEJ2013,
I am sorry to hear that you found your first guest room unacceptable and our room standards which did not meet your expectations. Our housekeepers work very hard to keep our guest rooms clean and hotel room like described is not the standard at our hotel. My sincerest apologies. I hope you consider staying with us again when returning next time to Helsinki.
With kind regards,
Juha Sundqvist, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sankt-peterburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Booking a room in this hotel in Helsinki, I was expecting a high level worthy of four stars. But, unfortunately, the room was fairly modest, shower uncomfortable and why that double was only one shower cap, I'm not talking about slippers and robes - and they are not promised. On resershen service is good, breakfast is acceptable, and, perhaps, the main plus of the hotel - it's location, right above the bus station in the city center.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Presidentti, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Olga Z,
Thank you for your comments from your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize that we were unable to completely satisfy your needs during your visit with us. We strive to provide clean comfortable room and friendly service to our every guest. I was pleased to hear that guest service was successful and location excellent.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This hotel is well situated being close to the downtown area of Helsinki, close to the railway station and other transport. I was travelling with a group (58 Choristers) on route to the World Choir Games in Riga, Latvia. The room was clean and while not particularly large it was adequate. I had no difficulty with WiFi. I could control my room temperature with the termostat and slept well. The breakfast room was large and while busy, staff seemed to keep up with clearing tables and replenishing the buffet. Its easy to walk around Helsinki, and the markets are a must to visit. In summer the berries are plentiful and cheap.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Presidentti, Johtaja at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear John2090,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I greatly appreciate your detailed review and feel certain this information will be helpful to others traveling to our hotel. I am also pleased that your choir chose our hotel to stay in Helsinki and found it to be a good value considering the many choices in the area.
Kind regards from Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti,
Tampere, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The whole place is in desperate need of renovation. This hotel is by no means from the cheaper end of the range in Helsinki and proved to be very poor. The location is the only good thing about it as it's in the middle of everything. Reception was under staffed with big queues. The service was nice once you got to the desk. Room was decades old and dirty and broken down from here and there. Breakfast room was a chaos, staff was not able to clear the tables and fill in the buffet. Breakfast room with mostly long tables is not a nice option.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Presidentti, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Niko_Tampere,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor! We always strive to provide enjoyable guest experiences but it is regrettable that we weren't able to do so on this occasion. Please accept my sincerest apologies if the condition of the room you were given was a disappointment and fully booked hotel which caused annoyance. I have taken note of your comments and this will be forwarded to management to consider for upgrades needed on premises.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Hotel with good location. Good standard finnish hotel breakfast. Sleep quality was also pretty good. Room was outdated, especially bathroom is a trip to CCCP era, taking a shower was difficult if you are tall, and standing in a slippery bath tub.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear them1,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We aplogize that we did not exceed your expectations and appreciate your comments. It is true, we do need some remodeling. Our building has aged, but we hope to make some significant changes in the near future.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We found the hotel to be most comfortable and the staff friendly. It is quite a busy place especially because it has many tour groups. With an all-day transit pass, the hotel is convenient to everything in Helsinki. There are four different tram lines that pass within a couple of blocks of the hotel. Furthermore, Helsinki is an easy walking city. In addition, there are many restaurants nearby.

Now the for the issues. First, breakfast was OK, but nothing like we had in hotels in Oslo, Stockholm, or Copenhagen. Second, as we have been finding, controlling the room temperature is very difficult. While this was the coolest of four that we stayed in, we were unable to cool it down enough for comfortable sleeping. Third, while we had Wifi, access to the Internet was sporadic. Often we would have a connection and it would disappear. A number of people in our group made comments about its lack of reliability, especially when one was halfway through trying to send an e-mail. Finally, the shower (room 809) leaked at the bottom and made the bath mat useless. Simple caulking would solve the problem.

Room Tip: The do not appear to be any bad rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Presidentti, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear dick_mary,

Thank you for your time when writing this review and staying with us in Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti. However, I am certainly disappointed by the too warm room temperature and stucked drain in your room. Wifi connections were under maintenance during your stay as its capacity was improved. I apologize that this fact was not told to you at that time.
Juha Sundqvist
Hotel Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Thanks to all person in this hotel reaaly it amazin we will go back to hotel again ee will be there very soon really we will be back very soooon staff is very nice and helpful you should go by your self to see the nice hoyel

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
HanneleLa, General Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear أيمن ع,

Thank very much for choosing Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti for your stay in Helsinki.

I am so glad to read your review of our hotel and your comment on our staff makes me especially happy.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti.

Best regards,
Hannele Laurila

Been to Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti? Share your experiences!