“First impression is the most memorable” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Rivoli Jardin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Kasarmikatu 40, Helsinki SF-00130, Finland   |
Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
St. Petersburg, Russia
“First impression is the most memorable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I've visited Rivoli Jardin on 14-15 May 2011 weekend with appropriate booking via booking.com

It happened that we arrived to Helsinki on 6 a.m. It was too cold and we decided to reach our hotel, get wi-fi and decide if we could find some 24hr cafe or make early checking, also get some warm coffee.

When we got Rivoli Jardin the door was closed.
I called via the doorbell

1) Receptionist answered that she can't get us in saying all rooms are occupied (I didn't say any word yet!)

2) I convinced her to get us in because it's too cold to stand outdoors. Only after I said that I've booked room she unlocked the door.

3) there was terribly cold a wind was blowing - that is totally unfriendly behavior
4) I just asked portie for wi-fi permission to sit in the hall for 30 minutes - said she can't allow us to sit there up to our check in
5) I asked porite for wi-fi access and permission to sit in hall TWICE times more - at laste she gave me a code for 24 hours for 10 euro

6) she ignored my questions about coffee/tea (i hoped it would warm us)

i agreed to register an early check in for additional 50 euro. We were suggested twin number, because the double room which I've booked (check in is after 2 p.m.) is occupied.
7) she said in NO WAY we can switch room on 2 p.m. from twin room to our reserved double room.

I was VERY confused because it is my right to get the room which i've booked via booking.com, so I assume this is a violation of booking agreement (i've not signed up any cancellation of my booking)

Nevertheless the next days, Saturday and Sunday, there were very friendly porties. But the first impression is the most memorable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Merja_Koski_GM, General Manager at Hotel Rivoli Jardin, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Sir
thank you for your feedback, I agree 100% with you, the first impression is the most important.
Apologies for you experiences at the Hotel Rivoli Jardin.
For added security, we do keep the front doors closed during the nights/early mornings.
Customers are allowed to sit at the lobby but we do hope customers who arrive early in the morning, understand that the rooms might not be ready before the actual check-in time.
I’m sorry the receptionist failed to inform you of the coffee/tea that is available at the lobby 24/7. There are also biscuits and pastries to enjoy. We apologize for that.
The Wi-Fi is available at the reception area for additional cost of 10€.
The receptionist wanted you to have a room to rest and offered you a twin room instead of a double. The point was, to accept a different type of room for the whole stay or waiting till the room of your request was available.. (There are no laws or booking agreements that does not allow this nor would be considerate as a violation of any agreements).
We thank you for your feedback and hope these answers will give you a peace of mind. Hope your next stay at Hotel Rivoli Jardin will be more pleasurable. We wish you a sunny spring in St. Petersburg!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg City, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This hotel is nice and the mane reason for stay there is reasonable for money. It is not far from the center it is located in quiet center of Helsinki. It takes no more then 15 min from Rail way station.
Breakfast is good and you have choices, with children it is reason. Espresso for breakfast included in price. I am not sure that they have fridge in rooms.

There is no restaurant in the hotel, but near you can find few best restaurants in Helsinki Michelin choice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Clearwater Beach, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely hotel, well siuated in downtown Helsinki. Good breakfast. Helpful staff. I deducted a point because they charge 10 euro per day for the internet and still could not get to our email server - do not know what was the problem. In my opinion, charging for internet in todays market is a ratings negative.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Turku, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Made a quick stay in the hotel a couple of years ago and decided to return in order to re-assure the good feeling I experienced then. Yes, the hotel has kept its cozy charm and personal touch. I arrived in the middle of a snow storm when the city was in chaos, but in the reception I was met with a warm wellcome by a "real gentleman" that you seldom meet nowadays. My wife and friends were delyed by the snow, but the gentleman did his outmost to calm me down and answered all my special needs to have the group checked in and arranged taxi etc. Even the next morning he checked that everything has turned out right for me and this gave me the impression that they really cared for us. The rooms are cozy and personally designed and had all the necessary equipments. The only I really missed was a down pillow, but otherwise everything was in place. The breakfast room is small and just behind the reception desk, but at the same time it gave a very family-type feeling. The breakfast is placed on several different tables and you had an insight into the kitchen, which only strenghten the good feeling. The assortment was rich without being extravagant. Additionally, the hotel is just a block away from the very center of the city. If you're fed up with the big hotels belonging to international chains looking alike and if you're looking for a more personal option; this is the place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Tampere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This was the first time we stayed in this Hotel while in Helsinki. Our room was small but comfortable, and very quiet. The location is good, just a minute and You hit the Esplanadi street. Breakfast was good finnish standard.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
St.Petersburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We've stayed at the hotel in August, 2012 when we had a private visit to Helsinki. Good location attracted us although we never stayed here before. Proximity of all central facilities of the city was critical for us as my wife was “low mobile” for some days after the knee surgery. And we surely enjoyed the hotel’s position with all the restaurants, railway station and the harbor in walking distance. The hotel itself appeared rather comfortable and clean. The breakfasts were great – Scandinavian style with a lot of salmon, nice grain bread, fruits and all other things we love. Unfortunately we experienced some inconveniences as well. First – towels in the bathroom were extremely worn out with the lot of hanging threads. We noticed it just upon arrival and shortly informed the receptionist. And we got another at once and later day by day but of the same quality. Second problem occurred with the air conditioner. It worked poor and did not react any controls. They tried to fix it but nothing changed. We had to open the window as the weather was rather warm that time. And at once we faced another problem – the inner court that looks so comfortable at daytime appeared too noisy at night. Some guys move the trash bins and other waste every night – one can imagine how it sounds inside the narrow court. So the overall impression of the hotel is very average especially if to compare with other hotels in Helsinki.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Great location, right in the city center. There are also a few good restaurants nearby. Also close to the train station (less than 10 minutes walking, a bit more from the bus station). The room was perfect, silent, great mattress and exactly like the picture. There was also a boiler and some tea in the room. The breakfast was great, fruits, fresh juice, bacon, eggs, salmon, yogurt..
The internet was not free, I did not have an internet offer for my room, so I had to pay 10 euros a day...
The staff was really nice and helpful. One even made me a map with all the good clubs and bars in Helsinki. I also had a really early flight and had to leave the hotel in the middle of the night. So a really nice girl prepared me some tea and gave me some biscuits and fruits so I could eat something before leaving!
Next time I'm in Helsinki I'll definitely stay again in this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Rivoli Jardin? Share your experiences!