“Flagship Radisson that's got even better” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #4 of 66 hotels in Helsinki
England
“Flagship Radisson that's got even better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I first stayed here back in November 2012 and was very impressed. I wrote a review at the time of the hotel and its facilities which was well received by Tripadvisor users and if you're interested, I'd suggest reading that one before this latest one, as I've not covered everything in that one to avoid repetition. Everything that was good about my last stay was not only equally good this time around but even better.

Check-in was enthusiastic and welcoming. We had specifically booked one of the newly refurbished executive business rooms because of the in-room sauna and this was duly confirmed. We made our way to the room, down the corridors wonderfully illuminated by the tightly focused ceiling spotlights and coloured room numbers outside the various doors. Upon entry into our room via the RFID proximity card, there was a series of wow moments, even more wow that my previous visit.

The room was much larger, even though on the website it is stated as being the same size. With the white walls and high ceiling and huge windows, it was massively light & airy and felt very spacious.

The bed was massive and a 'proper' height, where you get up into bed as opposed to down into a low bed. I've always been impressed by the beds in Radissons - they always provide a good night's sleep - but this one was something else. There is a whole instruction card listing the different options - Magic Dreams is the concept I think - although we stuck with what was on the bed. My partner commented that it was one of, if not the, most comfortable night's sleep that she had ever had.

On the far wall was a large (I'm guessing 42") flatscreen TV with Ambilight. Either side and higher up the wall were two hifi speakers. The connectivity panel was next to the bed and allowed connection to the AV system by just about any means possible; RCA audio, S-video, USB, HDMI and Bluetooth. Don't worry if you haven't brought a lead as you didn't know you could connect...just call guest services and they will sort you out. Within a matter of seconds I had our iPod connected by USB and smartphone connected by Bluetooth: this meant we could play our offline Spotify collection via the hifi speakers and then - once connected to the complimentary wifi - stream music and video through the system. If we had bought the laptop we could also have connected it via the HDMI and watched Blu Rays in HD. I may be speaking as a bloke but this level & range of connectivity is amazing and I've yet to see any other hotel - Radisson or not - provide similar. It literally provides hours of enjoyment.

There was plenty of storage space by way of drawers, wardrobes and shelf space. With a partner who travels with two weeks' of choice of clothes for a weekend, this was most welcome. There were also plenty of plug sockets, including 2 UK sockets for those who hadn't brought adaptors. One of the sockets was ideally located opposite the full length mirror so was perfect for the hairdryer - it is amazing how many hotels don't put sockets anywhere near the mirror you would use when drying your hair.

Whilst still looking around the room and before we had had the chance to unpack, we received a call from guest relations asking if everything was OK with the room. My Concierge level membership of Carlson Rezidor's loyalty scheme means that I receive a complimentary upgrade and the call was to ask if I would like an upgrade to a suite if we didn't like the room. Given that we had booked this grade of room specifically for the sauna and a suite doesn't have one, we declined. However, guest relations didn't know this and to be called and offered the upgrade after check-in to the room showed commitment to a very level of customer service, as well as recognition of the member level of the loyalty scheme. The very matter of fact nature of the Finns is wonderful at moments like this; you are entitled to it, so we are offering it to you.

The bathroom was compact, with a walk-in shower cubicle and TV built into the mirror behind the basin, so you can watch TV whilst washing or sitting on the loo. However, the room's party trick was next to the shower; a sauna. In your bathroom. It was more than large enough for the both of us and once we had worked out how to use it, more than hot enough. We had it up over 50'c in no time and with the bucket & ladle provided, churning out great amounts of steam. You even get provided with a couple of additional towels to sit on, as well as the usual collection of towels and robes.

The mini bar and beverage options were well stocked. Along with the usual tea & coffee was a good selection of small plates, mugs, wine and champagne glasses. There was also a Nespresso machine with a selection of capsules and the proper Nespresso cups; these are double the normal espresso size and it's the first time that I have seen them alongside a Nespresso machine in a Radisson. It makes all the difference. There was also a couple of complimentary bars of chocolate (totally addictive) and - as before - the business card of the general manager. This level of transparency can only encourage engagement as it immediately gives you a named point of contact, to whom any relevant issues can be communicated.

On the first evening we ate in the hotel's restaurant Kitzens - reviewed separately on here - but the relevance to this review was that all of the staff were welcoming, friendly and attentive.

After a long lie-in the next morning (to savour the comfortable bed) we had breakfast in the executive lounge. Firstly the hotel does breakfast until 11am on a weekend that is great and secondly the executive rooms allow you access to the lounge. This is on a mezzanine level that runs around the central atrium above the restaurant. It has a collection of comfortable booths on one side for breakfast and then an eclectic collection of chairs & sofas on the other side for relaxing in. Breakfast was the usual excellent Radisson buffet, with a wide choice of cereals, pastries & breads and cooked ingredients. We each asked for omelettes and were served fantastic cheese & ham and cheese & onion omelettes, that were tasty, delicate yet filling.

We were going to come back to the lounge in the early evening for complimentary drinks that are served but ran out of time with our sightseeing. Instead we came back the following late morning and just chilled out there.

After coming back from dinner out we went to the HUB bar that sits behind reception. Whilst relatively small, it was comfortable and quite busy with patrons. There was a good selection of wines by the glass as well as local beers, of which Lapin Kulta is my new favourite. We eventually took our drinks back up to the room and then played around with the AV system some more, trying to come up with the most suitable tracks to go with the adjustable lighting. If you haven't read the previous review, you can alter the lighting within the room to your personally taste. With the Ambilight from the TV, you can come up with some fabulous combinations.

We were also going to try out the gym but again, ran out of time so didn't get the opportunity. The gym is small and functional but should suffice for those looking for some basic exercise facilities whilst away.

Mention has to go to the staff; all those we encountered were professional, friendly and keen to provide great customer service. Nothing was too much trouble. Radisson's 'Yes I Can!' ethos was reflected by the behaviour of the staff but it was evident that this hotel has gone that bit further. There was a very clear recognition of a) brand value and b) service proposition and I would imagine that the management have spent a lot of time ensuring that staff are conscious of these and reflect them in their actions. As an example, when were due to leave, we checked-out and booked a taxi to the airport. We then went up to the room to collect our bags. As we were leaving the room, the service manager was coming along the corridor to tell us that the taxi was here and to help us down with our bags. Without being asked or prompted. Excellent service.

In fact, as guests we felt incredibly welcome and valued throughout the entire duration of our stay.

On the downside, housekeeping didn't replace the dirty Nespresso mugs on one day. We called down and new ones were brought up very quickly, with a sincere apology. Our room was right on the corner of the hotel (possibly to do with being able to vent the heat from the sauna?) and the wifi was a bit patchy a couple of times.

On the Sunday morning, neither of us wanted to leave. The combination of excellent facilities and very high levels of customer service made this a most enjoyable and relaxing stay. The room cost was 219EUR/night which, for all the room's facilities let alone the sauna, is exceptional value for money.

We stay in a lot of Carlson Rezidor properties and as Concierge level members have very high expectations. Radisson Blu Plaza Helsinki met and exceeded our expectations. I would suggest that this should be viewed as a flagship Radisson location since - from our overall guest experience - it thoroughly deserves to be rated as such.

Room Tip: An in-room sauna is as fab as it sounds.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Petri_Uronen, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Propaganda_Machine,

I don´t know what to say. Your awesome review made me totally speechless. There is nothing to take away or add, it´s all there...

On behalf of our management and our staff I would like to send my warmest thanks to you.

We truly hope to see you at Plaza soon again.

With Kind Regards,

621 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I usually stay at this hotel when on business trips in Helsinki. The recent refurbishments are very, very nice. In my opinion the hotel was fine before, but the new look is truly nice. The beds are very good, a selection of pillows. The design is very smart and some innovative solutions that make the stay even more pleasant. The room numbers are lit on the corridoor floor, changing from white to green to indicate: Clean my room and to red to say: I'm resting, leave me alone. The colors are fresh and lively, without being garish. And the breakfast selection is one of the best I've had in any hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Roberto B, Guest Service Agent at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Goddalur ,

Thank you for the accurate review.
I am glad you liked our classical / moder style combination and our super central location.

We all hope to see you at Plaza Hotel.

Kind regards ,

Roberto B.
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Hotel is really nicely located at the central of the city, had been to Helsinki before in the summer but had stayed in a different hotel. My experience with this one was much better even if it was the winter and the temperatures were colder than in your wildest dreams.
Rooms were very comfortable, food was not so great but that was not my priority. The hotel staff was actually quite nice and informal which was much appreciated.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Petri_Uronen, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and your kind comments of our newly renovated rooms. And it´s always so lovely to hear positive comments of our staff.

Your welcome to stay with us on your next trip to Helsinki!

wooloomooloo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed here several years ago, enjoyed it then, and so thought it was worth another try. It certainly was. Efficient, pleasant staff, and very comfortable rooms. Public areas seem to have been updated since my last visit. Quiet and 'tucked away', but still metres from the downtown action of the station area. Great sauna. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Petri_Uronen, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your stay here at Plaza. Nice to hear you remembered us from your last visit.

I´m so pleased to hear you really enjoyed your stay, like you did several years ago. And yes, we have renovated our hotel last year. Nice that you noticed the change.

Also I want to thank you for your feedback of our emloyees. I´ll promise to tell them your regards.

See you on your next visit to Helsinki again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Things to like about the hotel include-
1) the room itself... very comfortable bed, good lighting, clean, nicely decorated
2) the bathroom had a heated floor, which was awesome (It had recently been updated.)
3) an extensive buffet breakfast with many food and drink choices
4) convenient yet also quiet location, near the railway station, tram and bus lines, and the main shopping area. Convenient to Helsinki attractions
5) the staff was very helpful and nice. When I told the front desk that we would be leaving at 4:30 AM the next morning, he made arrangements for "brown bag" breakfasts to go, to be ready for those in our group.

There was nothing that bothered me, or that I didn't like about the hotel. It was really GREAT!! We didn't use the sauna, and while the fitness room was small, it was more than adequate.

All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel. Thanks!

Room Tip: At first I was going to book at business room, but after speaking with the front desk, we booked a s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear jamom52,

I want to thank you for your kind feedback. So lovely to hear you enjoyed both our renewed room and other facilities and our Super Breakfast. As we all know breakfast is the most important meal for the day, so we have put an extra effort on it.

It´s always so nice to hear positive comments of our helpful and nice staff. I´ll tell them your regards. Thank you.

So until the next time.

Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Hotel is recently renovated and very chic! A old historical building but very modern inside. Quiet place but still in the middle of Helsinki. Shopping street 3 blocks away and railwaystation 1 block.

The room itself was clean but there was unpleasant odor in the bathroom. Maybe coming from the pipes. The bed was extra comfortable, I really enjoyed it. TV was poor, did´nt work properly. Wlan connection was poor also in the room. Coffeemachine excellent!

Breakfast was nice, selection was wide enough. Restaurant offeres good food, but I found it quite heavy and quite expensive.

We booked business room which included access to Plaza Lounge. There was small selection of snacks and drinks (coffee, wine, beer, vodka...) during the day and also magazines/newspaper available. It was very comfortable place to sit. If you book a room with this option, my hint is to sit on the lounge and order dinner from the hotels restaurant downstairs, now you´ll get drinks "free" :)

Fitness center was quite ok. Sauna we didn´t go to.

My opinion this hotel is best suitable for the business traveller and couples. I´ll suggest a another hotel from Helsinki to families.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Petri_Uronen, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Spumante,

Thanks for your review.

I´m so happy to hear you liked our new Plaza Business Lounge and the services that are included there. And it´s true you can have you breakfast, lunch, dinner and dinner there aswell. Ít´s like your own livingroom...

Please accept my sincere apologies for small invonveniences. Hope you´ll be visiting Helsinki and Plaza hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I really liked this hotel. 5 best things:
1) Bed - amazing. I'm not sure it's a good place to stay on business, because it was so comfortable I couldn't get up.
2) Breakfast was very nice, wide selection of nearly everything you could think of. Good cooked selection.
3) Location is great, just 2 mins from the station and airport bus.
4) Value - I only paid GBP90, which is a bargain in my opinion.
5) Bed. It was that good.

Also the Internet worked everywhere with 3 devices, and was very fast. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review.

I´m delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much and our Super Breakfast. Our Magic Dreams beds are specially made to Radisson Hotel in Finland by Finlayson and they are extremely comfortable. Nice to see you liked our bed so much you even mentioned it twice.

It´s also very nice to hear you got value for manoy spend.

Hopefully you´ll have a change to visit us soon again.

Front Office Manager

Been to Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki? Share your experiences!