“Nice rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mannerheimintie 50, Helsinki 00260, Finland (Formerly Radisson SAS Hesperia Hotel Helsinki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #20 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Molndal, Sweden
“Nice rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Very comfortable rooms. Restaurant is unreasonably highly priced, but there are many restaurants nearby. Slow service in restaurant. Reception service is average. Lounge is comfortable and the location is unbeatable. Public transit right outside, including airport bus.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Anna K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear DeWitt F,

thank you for your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you liked our rooms and our location. I am sorry to hear that you had slow service in our restaurant. I will pass your feedback also to our restaurant.

Thank you for taking time to leave your comments. We hope to see you soon again.

Crowne Plaza Helsinki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

On July 30, 2014, my husband and I decided to book an 8 night stay (August 2-10, 2014) at The Crowne Plaza Helsinki. When we made this reservation, we were in Germany and were already scheduled to fly back to our home in the United States on August 2. However, because of my past numerous and very positive experiences at this hotel, we decided to extend our holiday, fly to Helsinki and stay at this hotel (and also take a 2 day trip to Kuopio). My husband and I were married recently and he had never stayed at this hotel before. Based on all my enthusiastic comments about this Crowne Plaza, he thought it worthwhile to change our plans, book expensive last-minute flights on Lufthansa (Frankfurt-Helsinki-Frankfurt), and pay for an 8 night stay even though we would be staying at another hotel in Kuopio on August 6 and 7, 2014.

Our stay was absolutely awful. I am still in shock by all of the problems that cropped up in such a relatively short period of time. Please read the entire review because the worst problems occured at the end of the stay.

August 2, 2014: We arrived at the hotel shortly before 4:00 pm. We were not greeted as Platinum IHG members even though that status is clearly shown in my client profile. The desk agent insisted over and over that we were merely gold level customers. After some back and forth discussion, I urged her to look at my reservation more closely (the agent mentioned something about the fact that our reservation had 'just come through' and that the status was absent....strange given that I made the reservation on July 30, 2014). Upon close examination, the agent saw that I was, in fact, a Platinum member. At that point she offered me some points bonus (which has not yet appeared on my IHG account even though she said that she could post them immediately).

August 2, 2014: We were assigned Room 651, a junior suite (the room type I had chosen when I made the reservation). Although the room was in a quiet location, we were struck by the shabbiness of the furniture and carpet. As I mentioned earlier, I have stayed many times at this hotel since 2007. For example, the desks used to have mirrors on them. The one on our desk was missing. On the TV screen we saw the a movie that described the glorious rooms in the hotel and noticed that some of them appear to have been updated. Which guests get those rooms? Clearly not loyal customers like me who not only have high IHG status, but who stay for extended periods of time. In addition, our room was missing some towels and toiletries.

August 2, 2014: Shortly before 5:00 pm, my husband and I went downstairs to the health club. We signed in and got our towels and our locker keys. I walked into the ladies locker room and discovered that the sauna is under repair. I returned to the check-in desk and the woman at the desk tells me that the sauna is under repair until Monday and that I would have to walk through the gym to access the pool. She also stated that the people at the Reception Desk should have told me this when we checked in. No one did. But, here's an even larger issue. When I made this reservation, the IHG website (for this specific hotel) made no mention of this renovation work. Let me state once more that Finland was not in our travel plans this summer. We extended our holiday to have a nice visit at this hitel to sauna and relax.

My husband and went to the pool. In the pool were 3 very young children and one older woman (who was not the mother of those children). The children were out of control--diving into the pool, running, slipping....but, more important...they were unsupervised. So not only could we not enjoy the pool, we were also put in the position of ensuring that these children did not drown in the pool. My husband and got out of the pool. This meant that I had to walk all the way back to the health club reception desk (through the gym) in a wet bathing suit in order to report to the staff member what was going on in the pool. She was very surprised and said she did not realize that the mother had left. This is incredibly negligent! We never ever returned to the health club because we did not want to run the risk of being put in that situation again. So much for our relaxing sauna/swim vacation in Helsinki.

August 3, 2014: Our room was not serviced as of 3:00 pm. We had left our room before 9:00 a.m. that day and even saw cleaners in the rooms near ours. We called reception and were told that cleaners would come to the room. We left the room and returned around 4:30 pm. The room had been cleaned, but we had no wash cloths and no shampoo.

August 4, 2014: In the morning we see a sign in the elevator informing us that a fire drill would take place at midnight. The alarm went off shortly after 11:00 p.m......Perhaps someone needs to learn how to tell time.

August 4, 2014: We returned to our room in the evening and found that the bathroom had not been cleaned thoroughly. We had taken baths the night before and a soap scum ring remained. This ring and other bath dirt still remained in the tub. At this point, my husband and I decided that we had had enough and that it was time to lodge a complaint. We went down to reception and asked to speak with a manager. After a 10 minute wait, Mikko appears. We sit with Mikko and relate to him what I have just written here thus far. He was attentive and concerned. He tried to offer me IHG points which I declined as I thought that was not adequate compensation given everything that had transpired since we checked into the hotel on August 2, 2014. Mikko stated that he would call his supervisor and contact us later that evening. At 8:30 p.m., Mikko phoned our room and spoke with my husband. Mikko stated that our daily room rate would be reduced and that he would ensure that our room would be properly serviced for the remainder of our stay.

August 5, 2014: Our room was serviced properly (including the bath tub).

August 6, 2014: We traveled to Kuopio.

August 7, 2014: In Kuopio

August 8, 2014: We returned to the Crowne Plaza shortly before 3:00 p.m. Our room had been servced properly.

August 9, 2014: We left our room shortly before 9:00 a.m. We did some sightseeing and shopping. We decided to return to our room around 12:30 p.m. to drop off our shopping and brush our teeth. The room had been serviced properly by this time. We left the room again around 1:00 p.m. We put the Do Not Disturb sign on our door (we always do this after our room has been serviced to ensure that no one enters the room in our absence--we do this at every hotel we stay at). We returned shortly after 6 p.m. and discovered the following: the window was open; the doors on the right hand closet were open; and my roller bag had been moved from the top of the blue hassock (located in between the closets and the sofa) and placed on the floor. Someone had been in our room between 1:00 p.m. and 6 p.m. even though we had the Do Not Disturb sign on our door. Why? My husband went down to reception and reported this. The woman at the desk, according to my husband, did not show any alarm, but merely stated that housekeeping had left already and that she needed to investigate. Unbelievable.

My husband and left the hotel and went to dinner. We we returned shortly after 10:00 p.m. My husband needed to use the bathroom. When he opened the bathroom door, we smelled sewage. We immediately shut the door and the two of us went down to reception and asked to speak with a manager. Merin (spelling?) came out and she accompanied us up to our room. She was appalled by the odor. And then we told her about the fact that someone had entered our room earlier. She was appalled by this as well and stated that it is against hotel policy for staff to do so when the Do Not Disturb sign is on the door. We also told her about our other problems and of our conversation with Mikko earler in the week.

Merin stated that she would try to find us another room because clearly a plumbing problem had developed. She also stated that she would speak with Mikko who would also be on duty later that evening.

We were moved to Room 823. Guess what? That room wasn't good either. The bathroom floor and bathtub had hairs from other guests and the floor was HOT. Evidently, someone had turned on the heated floor switch at some point but never turned it off. Again, housekeeping should have picked up on this. My husband had to call reception to learn how to turn the floor off. While I appreciate the fact that management had left us wine, candy, and fruit in the room....by the time we got eveything moved from one room to the next, it was almost midnight and we just wanted to sleep.

August 10, 2014: We checked out shortly after 10:00 a.m. Merin (spelling?) checked us out. She was apologetic, but did not tell us why someone had been in our room. She also stated that she and Mikko had documented everything and would be giving their notes to their supervisor--the General Manager Saija Savela-Palovaara. Merin urged us to contact her as well....which we did. We just sent an email a few minutes ago and we received an email back stating that Saija Savela-Palovaara is out of the office until August 18, 2014. Nice.

I have to admit that when I got the final bill I was truly surprised that we were actually charged for the night of August 9, 2014. Yes, I do appreciate the fact that the hotel reduced our room rate for the problems we encountered from August 2-4, 2014...but, seriously, our original room (651) developed plumbing problems which resulted in a potential health/safety issue for us. We discovered this at 10:00 p.m. on August 9, 2014 (our last night). Furthermore, someone had entered our room without just cause earlier that day (I can undestand if staff needed to enter the room for cause. However, if that were the case, hotel management would have had an obligation to notify us that staff had to entered the room by leaving a note on the desk or a voicemail). But, in spite of these horrible incidents, the hotel still felt justified in charging us for that final, terrible night.

It goes without saying that we will not stay at this hotel again. We truly regret spending so much money to extend our holiday at a hotel that once held such fond memories for me. Shame on the staff of the Crowne Plaza Helsinki and shame on IHG for allowing this property to become a model of poor service.

Room Tip: Do yourself a big favor. Don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear drskipp61,

thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations and that you had so many problems during your stay.

We are sorry that your Platinum membership status was not acknowledged right away when you checked in. The bonus points are now on your account.

We are also sorry to hear that there has been children unsupervised in the pool area. This of course should not be the case, but certainly it is not your responsibility to look after them. We have also given your feedback to our health club. We also apologize if our staff has failed to inform you during your check in about the renovation in sauna.

We have had serious conversation about the cleaning with our housekeeping manager and certainly will look into this matter.

We had a fire drill on the 4th of August at noon. We had a fire alarm in the same evening, this was not a drill, but a real alarm. Fortunately there was no fire detected. We always do our fire drills in the middle of the day.

Security is very important to us and we take it seriously. We have electronic locks in our hotel room doors and are therefore able to take out reports which show when the room has been entered and which key has been used. On the 9th of August housekeeping has entered your room in the morning and serviced the room like you said. After this no one from hotel staff has entered your room during this day. We will send you this report.

We have done our best to solve your problems during your stay. We have given you compensation by reducing your room rate, complimentary breakfasts on your departure date and as you mentioned we also had some fruits, chocolate and wine delivered to your room.

We wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to improve our service. We value you as our guest and hope you will continue to choose IHG for you future travel needs.

We kindly ask you to remove our staff names from your review.

Kirsi Leisma-Stolt
Front Office Manager
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I stayed here for three nights on business and had no issues with the hotel and would return. As an IHG Platinum/Ambassador member I was upgraded to the Club Floor and had access to the lounge, which was a little more basic and the drinks offering more restricted than other Crowne Plaza properties but all said, still a welcome gesture.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jonathan H,

thank you for staying with us and for taking time to leave your comments. I am glad to hear that you liked our hotel.

We look forward of welcoming you back soon again.

Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Stayed 2 nights in a standard room.Room and bathroom good size with queen bed and coffee service,fridge and safe.A little way out of city center and you either walk or take the tram downtown.We walked to the Olympic stadium hop on off bus stop and took the bus from there.If your room does not come with breakfast its E.23 pp and there are no cafes or restaurents close by.There is an Indian and Thai rest.close by for dinner.Finnair bus to the airport stops almost across the street.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear frankj,

thank you for your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We also have cafees and other restaurants close to our hotel. Our staff is happy to give you information about these next time you visit our hotel.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

This is a standard business hotel in Helsinki. We had a good price for the stay, since we had a group booking and we were meeting in the Finlandia Hall just down the road the day after (which made it very convenient).

Walking to the Helsinki landmarks is quite a way, but can be done in about 20 minutes.

The rooms were nice, big windows (with blackout curtains) and big comfortable beds. I was very happy with the sound insulation as well, since the room overlooked the main road outside.

The bar was very stylish although, as with all Finland, was very expensive.

The breakfast was outstanding - lots of choice and of a very high quality. I really couldn't fault it.

The area around the hotel is a little bland and there is just one or two local restaurants where you could eat. Walking into town was a good option.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Emm3t,

thank you for your recent stay with us. It is nice to hear that you liked our hotel and enjoyed our breakfast.

We hope to see you soon again in Crowne Plaza Helsinki.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Me and my family stayed here for 1 night and it was great! the rooms were huge and nice and comfortable the bed was the best bed I've slept in, we stayed on club level so we got a lot of little extras in the club entertaining area, like chocolates, croissants, coffee, and other little nibbles, we didn't have a great view but i don't think many people did either.
There was also a restaurant across the road that is highly recommended we had a great meal there.
Overall I'd defiantly go back.
Definitely recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear 880rebby,

thank you for your stay in our hotel and for writing your kind review. I am happy to hear that you really enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Stayed at this hotel while in the city good location as I was using the main train station about a 10 minute walk from there or 2 minutes drive. Nice decor inside the lobby and bar area staff very friendly, rooms were to a good standard clean and well equipped. I did stay in a club level room so can't speak for a standard room. Overall would defiantly stay there when back in the city.

Stayed June 2014
Dear Toby3112,

thank you for your stay with us and for taking time to write your comments. I am glad to hear that you liked our hotel and our staff. I will be sure to pass on your kind words.

We hope to see you soon again in Crowne Plaza Helsinki.

Crowne Plaza Helsinki

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki? Share your experiences!