“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mannerheimintie 50, Helsinki 00260, Finland (Formerly Radisson SAS Hesperia Hotel Helsinki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Helsinki, Finland
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed here for a night, checked in at around 2pm in 14th December.
..you know those hotels that make their guests forget about their everyday life and all of their obligations ; raise the whole visit to another level and to different reality, in a way ?
The hotels that make their guests feel pampered and special to them, and nothing you ask is too much trouble ?
..well, this is not one of those hotels. Sadly.

The room rates and the name of the hotel can build up some expectations that are never to be met. There are no special treatment and no personal touches.
Guests are just cattle who all pay for the room and are gone in few days, latest.
Even the guests that have high status in their loyalty program get absotely zero effort (except maybe some rare exceptions) .

We had to go through the most embarrassing check-in I've ever experienced when we arrived.
First we had to stand in line to get to the front desk, leisure travellers, status members and business clients all in one queue. No Priority check-in. It took about 20 mins I guess.

When we got to the desk, we were "greeted" ( is it SO difficult to smile and say 'welcome' to your guests?) by the grumpiest person I've ever met in my life (and live in Finland. And it's winter time.)
This staff member sighed and wrenched my passport of my hand after I had arrived to the desk and stated my business, then I got a form to sign, even though they have all my information at my loyal customer profile, that I made the reservation with.
So I filled up the form, while the line behind me kept growing with unpatient status members.
Oh, the sigh'íng and the foot tapping.. anyhow, I was next asked for a credit card.
(I didn't take one with me, mainly because I have a serious shopping problem.
It´s good for me to see as the money vanishes from my purse, as it happens.)

I offered my Visa Electron card instead, which has been good enough for Hilton. Scandic, Sokos,
Radisson and several other chain hotels around the world.
For some reason, it was this time made a huge problem. Loudly.

The staff member asked me in loudly and in rude manner " I meant an ACTUAL credit card", basicly like I was an idiot.and tossed the card back at me. That turned about 10 heads nearby, all looking at me like I was some criminal without a credit card with me.
Okay, then I said I didn't bring one. Then the staff member said, even louder (if it's possible) "THEN I'M GONNA NEED 100 EURO DEPOSIT FOR THE MINIBAR" , followed by an eyeroll. That turned about 15 more heads, so the whole lobby was now staring at me.
I've never felt more like a criminal in my life.
The staff member had to, with loud voice, also make sure to me that our rate didn't include breakfast (which we knew, having booked a rate without breakfast) , so if we wanted any, we were GOING to HAVE to PAY 25€ extra each. This the person said while looking at me from head to toe without a hint of a friendly smile on the face.
I was paying 125€ for a hotelroom and yet it still seemed like I was trying to steal something.
I paid the deposit, of course, and we headed, mortified, to our room.

I still don't know why the front desk personnel had to be so rude and indiscreet towards us.
Again, it wasn't so much about what was said but more about the way it was said.
Details of one´s reservation shouldn't be a consern of the whole lobby, am I right ?
We were smiling, polite and dressed smart casual (as we usually are)
Nothing about us should have said "BUM" .
Yet we got treated like we were.
Strange. (to be honest, I definitely treat the actual 'bums' with more respect)

Our room was okay, clean, on the small side, had bathrobes, (but no slippers) , the usual bathroom amenities, a tub, fluff towels and linens.
Nice and moderately comfortable.

After the horrific check-in, I was afraid to ask for a late check-out
(which we were entitled to, it was a'Christmas gift' from IHG club to club members)
but there was another clerk answering the phone and it was done with no problems.
That was nice. (although, someone would say they should´ve offered it to me at check-in.. well, I wasn't expecting that person to offer me anything. The clerk hated me, although it was unclear why)

Anyhow, our room was comfortable and we got a good night´s sleep.
They had big plasma tv in the room and coffee-/tea making facilities.
It was very quiet and peaceful.

At the check out there was a very friendly person who asked us many questions about how did our stay go, did we like the room etc.
She was nice and attentive. I wish the first clerk had been like her.

All in all, the Crowne Plaza Helsinki is good enough, if you don't know about anything better.
It may seem luxurious even, for people who don't stay at hotels that often.
But if you have something to compare this with and have had much better service and amenities for paying less elsewhere, it's difficult to settle to this service level anymore.
And then there's the rudeness-aspect. The second clerk was exceptional, super nice without being gushing, the real opposite of the first one.
There shouldn't be this large gaps between service-mindedness of the staff.

Overall, ok experience, 3 stars.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Passenger111,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that you found your room comfortable and had an overall satisfactory stay. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Great hotel! as a Platinum member, got upgraded to a Junior suite - Room was large, with a seating area. Super clean room, felt modern and nice. Bathroon was huge, and the bathtub was great!

Breakfast at the restaurant was good (though the omelette station is not very accessible and not user-friendly - until day 3, I wasn't even aware they had a station there!). Club lounge is the usual basic European lounge (not like those in Asia), nice snacks for dinner (though sometimes there was nobody to replenish beer or snacks).

Great Hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street, as it's n-o-i-s-y!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Average business hotel. I stayed in a club room on the 9th floor. Best was the quiet and comfortable bed. Wireless was erratic in room, best signal close to door. Club lounge nearby for hot drinks at any time. Friendly staff. Very busy hotel hence breakfast room always overcrowded.

Room Tip: Select a high floor. Not very close to city centre.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Andee3,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased to note your positive comments on our hotel staff, comfortable bedding and club lounge. We work diligently to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry that our wireless connectivity was erratic. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Westmead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We arrived in Helsinki from Singapore very early in the morning. We were not able to check in as the hotel was full the night before, however, the young guy at check in said we were welcome to go to the gym downstairs and have a shower and freshen up after the long flight. We then left our luggage and he apologies for the room not being ready which was not his fault as the hotel was full. He took our bags and gave us a umbrella and said the room would be ready in a few hours. We walked in to the city centre which is only about 15 mins or you can get the tram outside the hotel. On our return a few hours later the room was ready and it was a good size. We were very impressed with the service we received and will consider staying again on a return visit.
Deb & Pat
Sydney, Australia

Room Tip: The room on the front was good, nice view over the park and the lake and not noisy even with the win...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lund, Skåne Län, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

I really liked this hotel. There was lots of space in the room.The staff was helpful, both at the reception and in the breakfast room. I will for sure come back. Booking was made through an internet site and therefore the price was reasonable.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I frequently visit the CP Helsinki on business. Although I have a few gripes the hotel is consistently good and manages to retain my business as a frequent guest.

Location is good and the town center can be reached in 10 mins on foot. Breakfast is excellent and offers a wide selection. IHG Rewards members are recognised and upgrades frequent.

On the negative side, room cleaning is often lacking. Bedding is never changed even on stays of a week and often the bathroom is not properly cleaned. Most staff at reception are excellent but a few are not the most friendly.

With a few tweaks to the soft product this really would be an excellent not just good hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Looking at the hotel reception and elevator hall you wouldn't expect a very modern and new room - but they are and it was a great surprise, easy to connect internet, superbly clean bathroom. Breakfast was good as well.
2 single duvets in a queens bed was the only miss in my point of view - if this is fixed together with giving the lobby a more modern look, it will be imbeatable!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki? Share your experiences!