“Fairly standard but great value for money in a ridiculously expensive city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mannerheimintie 50, Helsinki 00260, Finland (Formerly Radisson SAS Hesperia Hotel Helsinki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #20 of 66 hotels in Helsinki
London
“Fairly standard but great value for money in a ridiculously expensive city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Not usually one to stay in chain hotels, I was a bit reluctant when I left the booking of the hotel to my friend who came back to me with a Crowne Plaza. However, I was fairly pleasantly surprised. Having done some research myself, I was unable to find any hotels (let alone my preference of boutique-style hotels) anywhere near the same price range and it's difficult to understand why it is relatively so cheap. Admittedly it's not right in the city centre however it's literally a 5 minute tram journey (or 20 min walk) into town (the trams are very frequent too - there are three different trams and the longest we waited was for 5 minutes and that was on a Sunday). The hotel itself is fairly standard with all of the usual things you'd expect in a Crowne Plaza - gym, sauna, pool, room service, etc etc. However I must say that the one stand out was the exceptionally comfortable beds - don't think I've ever slept in a hotel bed as comfortable. Hotel staff were a little clueless on dinner options although when we decided upon somewhere they were very happy to book for us over the phone. So all in all I would recommend as a good option for staying in Helsinki - good location, comfortable bed and good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the lifts! We did hear the 'pinging' of the lifts relatively often in...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
AnneRoininen, Director,Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for the review about your stay with us. It is very important that
our guests sleep well and our facilities are made for that. The service should also be as
expected and we are working every day to serve you better.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, welcome back!

484 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Kuopio, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

This hotel is located near downtown in area called Töölö. From the rooms you can watch lovely view. You can see many churches and lovely park. You can easily go for a walk or jogging in the park. Rooms are clean and nice. Breakfast is good, you can choose from many different choices. Great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
AnneRoininen, Director, Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for the review and I am pleased that your stay was comfortable.
We hope to see you again as our guest, next time you visit Helsinki.
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I was in this hotel for 5 nights on business in the Helsinki area.

I've stayed in several hotels in the Helsinki area and this one definitely has an edge over the others. Even though I was in a standard room, it was reasonably spacious and I was fortunate enough to be high enough and on the right side to overlook the park and lake across the road - not that I was able to see much because in early January it was dark when I left in the morning and dark when I got back in the evening! Nevertheless it was pleasant to open the curtains and look out on the city lights.

The room was furnished in very pleasant muted colours with a lot of dark wood in evidence, and I found that this, together with the fact that everything was well maintained created a warm and relaxing atmosphere. Although it was very cold when I arrived (-13C) it was still pleasantly warm throughout the hotel and in my room itself.

The room was very clean, as was the well-appointed and well-maintained bathroom, although I did notice some dust on one of the shelves in the wardrobe. The bed was comfortable although I had to ask for a softer pillow to suit my own taste, since the ones already on the bed were way too firm for me. The shower in the bathroom was excellent, with plenty of water pressure and good control over the temperature.

I think the hotel may not have been so very busy, as I noticed very little noise throughout my stay. Or perhaps the other guests were just very quiet!

I was very happy with the breakfast, which had a fine selection, surely with something to please everyone. All the items I tried seemed quite fresh.

The hotel location is a little way (1.5Km) from the railway station, which was my point of departure and return every day. It's an easy walk but if you prefer, there is a tram stop just a couple of minutes' walk away, with trams to the centre.

There were one or two small niggles which prevented me from giving this hotel 5 out of 5: the Internet (wireless and wired) seemed very slow all the time; certainly it didn't match up to the speed I've had at other hotels in the area. Also the flat-screen television had quite disappointing picture quality, and it was slow to change between channels. What was worse was that the sound and picture would break up fairly regularly for a few seconds, which is annoying if you actually want to hear and see something of interest.

Nevertheless I won't hesitate to come back to this hotel if I have to come to Helsinki again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for Your review about Your stay at Crowne Plaza Helsinki.
I am happy to hear that You enjoyed the stay with us.
I wish you a great spring and welcome you back next time in Helsinki.
St Petersburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

The hotel is located across the lake with great view from the rooms. It is about 15 minutes walk to city center.
We have booked a connected room for one day. The check in was quick and effective.
The rooms were big and clean with really great view of the city.
The door in between the rooms were locked and we had to wait about 10 minutes when somebody came and opened the door. She did not lock it, because if locked, guest can not open it himself.
There was a question with minibar in one room and another 10 minutes for someone to come.
It was very kind of them, they have apologized for this minibar issue afterwards.
Ventilation and air conditioning was almost perfect without noise.
We used their underground parking facility which was a great plus for us.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
AnneRoininen, Director Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for your kind words about you stay with us.
It is always great to hear that facilities are more than what is expected.
Our aim is to serve you with high standards, there were issues, but I am glad,
that our staff handeled them with appology.
Hope to see you with us again!
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I have been a frequent visitors to Helsinki on business trips for many years.Based on the the hotel in our corporate list i have tried most of them .Only now i found a hotel that i feel at home and also i have a free shuttle bus to our office.Since now i am Gold and Ambassador member of Priority Club and hope to enjoy the benefits when i return again.
The Hesperian Park in front and nite skyline of Helsinki give a refreshing view from a other hotels.Just one comment that the room that is facing main road is slight noisy even behind the double glazing glass. The Sauna and swimming pool is a good escape after a busy day at work.

Room Tip: High floor facing main room have the best Helsinki skyline view but can be bit noise .I can still sl...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest, thank you for your review about the Crowne Plaza Helsinki.
I am pleased, that we have been able to meet your expectations.
We want to serve our guests always better.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Welcome back!
Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

Great business hotel:

* Friendly and efficient reception staff
* Large rooms, often with a nice view over the nearby lake and the city
* Fully equipped gym in the basement - big plus!
* Nice and quiet area with plenty of restaurants
* Still within walking distance to downtown Helsinki
* 2 restaurants, one slightly nicer and one pub - both OK
* Nice amenities

All in all - my preferred choice when in Helsinki on business.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
AnneRoininen, Director, Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review about your stay with us. We do our best that
our guests will return. It means that you are happy with the service and facilities we offer.
We hope to welcome you back again next time in Helsinki!
Sincerely, Anne Roininen
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I was a guest of Crown Plaza Helsinki on Dec.1st through Dec. 3rd 2011. As I got to the airport, it occurred to me that I left some items behind. There were a red Chanel wallet in the black box ( a birthday gift for my wife) and my notepad with Montblanc pen inside. I called to the hotel right away,they promised to call me back. As soon as I got home, I called them again and again. Finally five days later there was a response, claiming that nothing was found in this room for at least a year.

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki? Share your experiences!