“Wow” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mannerheimintie 50, Helsinki 00260, Finland (Formerly Radisson SAS Hesperia Hotel Helsinki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Netherlands
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Stayed here as part of a business trip that I extended for the weekend. Initially I stayed at the Scandic Continental next door, which was rather depressing (very Soviet-style architecture and spartan rooms), so when I was able to move to the CP I was very happy. Front desk was very pleasant and upgraded me to an executive room, which gave me access to their lounge. The room was very nice; comfortable and modern, with some fantastic views over central Helsinki. The club lounge was simple, but clean and comfortable. The breakfast served here was simple yet filling and in the evenings drinks were served. Free WiFi in the hotel - wow! Not many countries or hotels offer this.
Location is also nice. 20-25 mins walk from central Helsinki, or a few minutes by tram, which stops right in front of the hotel.
The pool / sauna complex in the basement of the hotel is impressive and free for hotel guests. I thoroughly enjoyed this and it was a nice place to meet locals and have them explain the true Finnish sauna experience!
Price was also really good for this hotel and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to visit lovely Helsinki.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
AnneRoininen, Director,Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Dear Guest, thank you very much for the review about your stay in Crowne Plaza Helsinki.
We are happy to hear that we could provide the service and facilities that met your expectations.
Hopefully we can welcome you back soon!
Sincerely, Anne Roininen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Kildare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We took the Finnair bus from the airport which brought us to the central station. You can then get a tram to the hotel (tram 4, 10 or 7A) and get off at the second stop -Hesperia Park. The hotel is located beside the scandic hotel.

The room in the hotel was very spacious, clean and modern. There were tea and coffee making facilities, mini bar, trousers press, safe, iron. The hotel boasts about it's "sleep advantage" and rightly so. The beds were incredibly comfortable.

We had lunch in the resturant and the food was excellent as was the service. We also had a snack in the bar one evening and this was good.

The pool in the leisure centre was quiet and we mainly had it to ourselves. However, it was quite cold so there was no lazy lounging around in the water!

Overall, this is a high quality hotel. Staff on reception were very informative and helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
AnneRoininen, Director,Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear Guest, thank you very much for you review about our hotel. We are more than happy
that your stay was meeting your needs. We put a great effort on service and facilities so
that all the guests would enjoy the stay. Thank you for Choosing to stay with us!
Anne Roininen
Göteborg, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Central location and hotel parking, clean and such, but far too expensive for what you get! Having to pay approx €25 for breakfast when the room cost €188 is not acceptable.

The room was okay, but again far too overpriced.

I arrived with a rental car and it seemed impossible to get them to park it for me. They suggested that I did it myself, in the hotel's parking garage in the rain.

When returning to Helsinki, I will not stay at this hotel again.

The complementary internet was also disappointing. To connect via cable did not work and connecting via W-LAN using the voucher provided gave speeds making it impossible to use the internet. This is not acceptable in Europe in 2011!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
AnneRoininen, Director,Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Thank you very musch for you views about the stay with us. We appriciate your comments
and we`ll do our best to serve you better! All the comments have been forwarded and
we belive that we can make our guests stay comfortale.
Mrs Anne Roininen
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We had to take a taxi to get to and from the ferry port. This is a very long walk away. You can walk to the pedestrian street and then to the port which is more interesting and will make it seemed a shorted distance. The rooms are well appointed. We had no luck getting the free internet connection for some reason. The breakfast was very good. The rooms are not all the same size, we were sent to the wrong room which was much bigger than ours. The expensive restaurant outside in the side of the hotel was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for size differences
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
AnneRoininen, Director, Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Thank you for your review about Crowne Plaza Helsinki Hotel. I am pleased to hear that
your stay was comfortable. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused from the internet. I have
forwarded this message and everything should be in order.
It is very important for us to have the feedback so we can serve you better.
With best Regards,
Mrs Anne Roininen
Cph
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I have had 10 stays in Helsinki during the latest 2 years and I have now concluded Crowne Plaza to be my preferred "second home". Located close to business areas and to city center. Good restaurants inside the hotel and close in the neighbourhood. Helpful and serviceminded staff. Nice rooms. No troubles with the "infrastructure" - the Internet-access, practical business needs, time to wait for taxis, meals and all. Look forward to go there again !

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
AnneRoininen, Director,Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review about your stay with us.
It is a pleasure to hear that you give us the possibility to be the
“second home” when travelling in Helsinki.
It is our aim to make your stay comfortable every time.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and hopefully we can welcome
you back again soon!

Best Regards,
Anne Roininen
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

This is a perfectly ok standard-type Crowne Plaza. The bedroom was fine, and the hotel is clean and efficient.

Where it was disappointing was in its attitude on charging, specifically around room service breakfast. I had a rate that included breakfast, but the hotel charged the full room service breakfast price on top of that with no discount reflecting the "inclusive" rate. Their feedback response was weak.

As for the breakfast tray - when I got back to the hotel from a day away it was still in my room 12 hours after I'd finished with it. I called room service to ask for it to be removed and they suggested I leave it outside the room for housekeeping to collect. It was still there the next morning, another 12 hours later.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
AnneRoininen, Director, Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Thank you for your feedback and views about our hotel. I am happy to hear that the facilities
were acceptable. What comes to the roomservice breakfast, I do appologize any unconvenience caused and will forward you feedback so we could serve you better in the future!
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

This is a very good hotel. We had a nice large (which is a treat in Scandinavia!) twin bedroom on the fourth floor. The bed, the amenities and service were what you would expect from a 4.5-5* international hotel, which was great, given the uneven quality of hotels we had seen in the last few days in Scandinavia.

The location of the hotel is just outside the city centre but tram 4/4T gets you to the city in no time at all and the tram stop is located outside the neighbouring Scandic Hotel, which is but a minute's walk away. I would not let the location of the hotel be a deterrent against my decision to stay here.

Wired internet access is free but not wifi (you have to purchase a card from the reception) so if you need it, do take along an ethernet adaptor if your laptop (like my Macbook Air) does not have it built in.

I would not hesitate recommending this hotel and would stay here again if I return to Helsinki.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your reviews about your stay with us. I am happy to hear that your visit was
what you expected it to be.I`ll make sure that your positive feedback will be forwarded.
It is always a pleasure to here that the service and facilities have been good.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki? Share your experiences!