“A lovely Easter break - fantastic hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Kamp
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pohjoisesplanadi 29, Helsinki 00100, Finland   |
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Manchester, England
“A lovely Easter break - fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

Stayed over Easter. Note that majority of places were closed for Easter, would love to go back when they are open!

The hotel is on the main shopping street which is a few minutes walk from the train station. Room were very plush and cozy. Fantastic bathroom. Bath tub was gigantic and there was also a separate shower.

Ate at the hotel in the YuMe restaurant and also lunch and dinner in the main restaurant. Great food and drink. Excellent service. Like all places in Helsinki this was a fair bit pricer than other parts of Europe. 70 EUR for a glass of wine, beer, salad and sandwich.

Recommend the saunas and relaxation area. Overall a great stay in clearly a very nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Finnish first
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

I have stayed in this hotel at least half a dozen times, latest being second week of March 2010. There is no doubt that this hotel sports excellent location, it's nice, service has always been great whenever I stayed, including this week, however, this hotel has one major issue which it better sort out soon. The beds, so soft, if you have back issues, you may be seriously chellenged. Similarly, no pillow menu, which is a great shame, because the pillows they do have, in otherwise absolutely adequate and well furnished room, are something looking like a lump, even doubling up two of these soft old lumps is not sufficient to build any semblance of something that is supposed to be a pillow. Great place to stay if do not intend to sleep or need rest. Seriously, for a luxury hotel this is just not on. Otherwise, great, including terrific breakfast with your choice of papers, and rather splendid little Japanese restaurant downstairs (in same room which during the day doubles as breakfast space).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
HotelKamp, General Manager at Hotel Kamp, responded to this review, March 30, 2010
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for your comments through Trip Advisor concerning your stay at the Hotel Kämp, A Luxury Collection Hotel in Helsinki. We believe that the information you provide us with is the key tool in our continued objective to strive for excellence in all areas of our hotel.

I would like to apologize you for the unpleasant sleeping experience you encountered during you stay. We do, however, have a special sweet dreams menu available in every room that includes various items designed to ensure pleasant dreams for our guests, including pillow options. Although this should be in all of our guest rooms, I’m sorry to hear if it wasn’t placed correctly this time and I have already taken some actions to ensure that this will not happen again. We also thank you for your comments regarding the bed’s softness that we will take into consideration during our next bedroom standards review.

On the other hand judging from your other comments it gave me a great pleasure to read that apart of these inconveniences, your stay was a terrific experience.

I nevertheless hope that you will give us a second chance and please contact me directly on your next visit to Helsinki. I will ensure that your sleeping experience will be a pleasant one because we do take our guest’s sleeping quality very seriously.

Kind regards,
Vesa Kokkonen
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

this is a 5* place: obviously it is not going to be homily like a small guest house.

but it's very luxurious; we used the spa centre. All the staff we met were delightful.

the breakfast was top class buffet worth the stay by itself.

I would not/could not pay the rack rate to stay at a place like this, but most people who stay here are rich/on business, and like most business hotels you can get a great deal in August when all the business people are on their yachts etc.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

I stayed in Kämp hotel with my wife for a short weekend holiday in Feb 2010. We had booked an executive room, which was very comfortable and can be recommended. Hotel Kämp has old time charm and service overall is high class. Breakfast is execellent and you should book a room with breakfast included. Hotel also has very good gym. Overall a great place, naturally not cheap rates, but I would say service and overall quality and experience matches. Take your time and enjoy!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

The hotel couldn'y be in a better location, on the North Esplanade is in easy walking distance of all the main sights, shopping centres, and the transport hubs. Upon arrival, i was a little dissapointed with the lack of a Doorman, something most 5* hotels can manage. However, only a small drawback to this amazing hotel. The service is a little unproffessional at times, but i realised that's just the finnish nature (a shy race).

Check-in was effficent with a porter on stand to help with the bags. The rooms are clean and spacious with a large marble bathroom. A lot of attention to detail has been taken, with the hotel logo on most items.

The main drawback to this hotel is value. Although very nice, at EUR 265 pn. I expected something above average, and tbh, ive stayed in better at lower prices.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Esbo, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

Being from Finland but living abroad, now in town for business, I didn't know what to expect. The price tag (240 euro for a single room) was hefty, although I guess that's what it costs in one of the most expesive capitals of the world.

The service was so-so, definitely not in Italian or American class, but good by Finnish standards. They could not find me a nail-cutter, but basically everything was included. The location is the best, together with GLO next door.

The sauna/spa is shared with GLO and was a positive surprise. It seems many Finns go to this hotel just to party or shopping. Bud my bed was horrible. Very big, but with two giant holes, one on each side! My back instantly got pains when I tried to lie in one of the holes. Fortunately I was alone, so I spent my two nights in the middle, between the holes. Unfortunately there was only about 80cm of "real bed" left, so it still felt crammed. If management reads this, check out room 602.

But I'm positive I'd have gotten a better room/bed if I'd have asked. And that's the main thing. I also appreciated the free computer+printer right behind the front desk. If this had been a strange city, I would have printed maps and guides in there.

The YuMe chef's surprise (79 euro) was worth the price, but the couple of beers in the bar for 54 euro were not.

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
northants
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

We stayed over the new year in a luxury room. It is very expensive and I was surprised to note some of the carpets looking slightly worn.
You certainly get what you pay for, however for me, the hotel itself was spoilt by the exorbitant bar prices- when we are away we enjoy sitting in the hotel bar for at least one night to meet some people. A pint of beer in the hotel bar was 10 euros- at the current rate making it about 9 pounds sterling for a beer....!
Apart from that it was most certainly a 5 star hotel and I would recommend if you want to spash some cash stopping in the city of Helsinki. Be aware of expensive prices generally though- we went out for a Indian meal one night and a starter, main and a drink each came to £80!
McDonalds is 150 metres away ;-)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kamp? Share your experiences!