“Hotel Kamp is the best hotel in Finland” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Kamp
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pohjoisesplanadi 29, Helsinki 00100, Finland   |
Ranked #6 of 66 hotels in Helsinki
Austin, Texas
“Hotel Kamp is the best hotel in Finland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

My husband is Finnish so we visit Finland quite often. When we are in Helsinki, we typically stay in a hotel for several nights while we visit friends and family. Over the years we have visited many different hotels both with our children and by ourselves and by far, Hotel Kamp is the best place to stay.

On this visit we stayed at Hotel Kamp a total of 6 nights -- 3 at the start of our trip and 3 at the end. This was also the first time to stay at Hotel Kamp with our two young children (5 and 8).

First off -- the service at this hotel was incredible. We made several requests from asking for additional bedding to turning the heat off in our room and all of our requests were immediately fulfilled. We asked the hotel to hold a couple of bags for us in between our visits (about a week) and they agreed without any questions. Upon arrival on our second visit, both bags were already in our room waiting for us. At the end of our visit we asked to see some of the suites for future trips and they were more than happy to show us the suite level rooms and discuss with us possible sleeping arrangements for our two children as they grow older and taller.

On our past visits to Hotel Kamp we have stayed in the Standard Room which is really nice. The bed is large by European standards and the bathroom includes a separate tub and shower. The only thing I don't like about the Standard room is the lack of a separate room or door for the toilet. We are now Starwood Gold members and on this visit we were upgraded to an Executive room. The Executive room was quite a bit larger than the standard room and included a small couch. This room accommodated the extra bed we requested easily and we were able to use the couch and extra bed allowing both children to sleep comfortably. The Executive room includes a small foyer with a coat closet that made it easy to enter the room with our winter gear without cluttering up the room. The bathroom in the Executive level room does include a separate toilet area which made me very happy. The rooms in Hotel Kamp have always been on the warm side (even during the winter) but the windows are operable and can easily be opened to a bit to add fresh air into the room. We requested the heat be turned off in the wall area of the room and once that was done, the room temperature dropped to a very comfortable level for us. The only issue we had with the room was with the toilet in the first room of our visit (as my daughter described it "the toilet would go potty by itself"). If we had alerted management about this issue I have no doubt it would have been resolved during our stay but we chose to wait until checkout to mention the problem. As far as cleanliness -- the hotel is very clean. The desk chair on our second stay did need to be cleaned but a towel on top of the chair solved that issue. There is not a coffee maker in the room so if you are used to a cup of coffee in the morning, plan on a short walk to the nearby coffee shop. Room service is really expensive (a 10 Euro charge for delivery) so ordering up a cup of coffee was out of the question.

The location of the hotel is perfect -- walking distance from the train station, local stores, restaurants and bars and kauppatori (the market area).

This visit we were unable to take advantage of the wonderful sauna area. As Starwood Gold members, this was included in our stay without charge. I don't remember every paying for this so maybe it is a new charge but regardless, is worth every penny. Remember to bring your swimsuit -- the sauna area is co-ed and suits or towels are required. They have a great Brasserie (bar and cafe) that we had drinks at several times. In the summer it is nice to sit outside and people watch. During the winter it was a great place to relax and hang out with friends.

The only downside to the hotel is the expense for the extras -- room service fees are crazy, internet is 20 Euros a day which isn't worth it in today's age of wireless and breakfast is NOT included. The breakfast is 29 Euros and is not worth it. You are better off walking a block to Strindberg's for breakfast or Fazer which is right across the street.

On this visit we stayed here using Starwood points and dollars which is a great deal. We have paid normal prices here and would do so again as well. The staff did not treat us any differently because we stayed with points and dollars versus normal price.

Overall a fabulous place to stay and I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

681 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

I live quite close to Helsinki but Hotel Kämp is still one of my all time favorite hotels to stay at and enjoy a splendid shopping weekend or treat myself&friends to a spa day and a nice dinner. There’s a lovely restaurant&bar downstairs called Kämp Café - http://www.palacekamp.fi/in_english/restaurants/kamp_cafe/ - where I love to treat myself to a glass of champagne with fresh strawberries before hitting the shops.

Kämp is known for excellent service and beautiful rooms. Prices may vary quite a lot depending on the season. The rule of thumb is that everything close to 100 euro range per night is really cheap&unusual.

Only critique I have is that the service level has gone down during the last year(2009). I’ve been staying at Kämp for a few weekends per year for the past 8 years and this last year has been a challenging one. Maybe I’ve been unlucky! There’s been quite a few mistakes with garage services, in-room dining and check-in&check-out service. Issues have been small but unacceptable for a luxury hotel like Kämp. Really hope year 2010 be a better!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

Very nice hotel, very good service, very nice room. As everything was very pricey, we didn't try much of the hotel services, but we liked the room, and the only service that seemed to be included in our room rate (116€, which seems to be quite a deal), was a free bike rental for a whole day. That was just an amazing experience, as the concierge provided us a map of cycling tours in Helsinki!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

One of the reasons I was able to enjoy this hotel was because of Starwood's Earn Free Nights promotion. I had stayed enough to earn a weekend night and wanted to pick somewhere nice to spend it. Conviniently, a night in Helsinki was an option before going to Russia so we snapped up The Kamp with our redemption. I'm thankful for SPG's promotion - otherwise I probably would never have stayed here.

This hotel is nice. Very nice.

You can tell right away you've stepped into an old, beautiful building based on the lobby. Bright, airy and spacious, this front area is one of the nicest I've ever seen. Check-in was completed efficiently and without problems. Also in regards to the front office, one of the most surprising things for me was that they had a small room with two computers/internet available free for use. Seldom do you find that a such a upscale property.

Our room, I believe was an upgrade - unless all rooms have small libraries in them. It was fairly large, and contained two double beds (as per the request). There was also the standard desk and chairs and yes, a library with real books. I will not say it was the most elegantly furnished room I have ever been in - there was a bit much of the 'Old World Charm' to it - but it was certainly comfortable.

The real feature of this room however was the bathroom - again, one of the nicest I have seen. It contained a large sink area, bathtub and separate shower stall. All marble, and there was even a Kamp branded rubber ducky for the tub. The upscale bath products were also a nice touch.

The Kamp is also all about location, location, location. In fact - I'm wondering if it can be beat? It's right in the middle of an outdoor pedestrian mall that was bustling with activity when we were there. You can tell the hotel was been there for awhile - based not only on its architecture, but also where it sits in Helsinki. It's a short walk away from the water/ferries and most of the city's sights.

After a long day out in the capital - this hotel was a dream to come back to. Although minimal time was spent in it - I enjoyed its thoughtful touches and classic elegance. Hope to be back someday.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

Right in the heart of downtown, beautiful place, everything was very nice (but not cheap). The spa was very nice too, the bar was elegant, the rooms excellent (marble bathroom with huge tub especially).
Only caution I have is that the afternoon tea at the restuarant was really pricey, but still a great time!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Solihull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

Just rated this hotel high only to add a note of caution for people - I booked a room through a hotel booking web site, one of the popualr ones. When the reservation came through with full details the room is a smoking one, and a no smoking is extra. £50 more for a smoke free room.
Hopefully all will be fine when we arrive as the booking cannot be cancelled either.
I have complained and will update when response received.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

After some days in copenhagen, me and my finace chose to visit Helsinki for a couple of days. Since Kamp was the only Starwood hotel in the city, and we really like Starwood, we chose to stay there.

There was a really cute girl checking us in which made us feel welcome and relaxed. Te room was nice with a large double bed, but it seemd a bit worn out. Maybe it's time for a renovation?

The restaurant was fabulous and roomservice aswell, the only complaint we actually have is that the AC did not seem to work properly. But upon notifying the front desk they quickly solved the problem.

A good stay in a good city and I can really recommend this hotel if you want to be in a nice hotel, centrally located.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kamp? Share your experiences!