“Perfect location rich with history” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Kamp
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pohjoisesplanadi 29, Helsinki 00100, Finland   |
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Auckland
“Perfect location rich with history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Located on the Esplanade in Helsinki you cannot be in a more central location you're literally moments from all the highlights of the city. This is truely a five star hotel and the attention to detail from the embroidered logo on the sheets through to marble bathrooms is exquisite.
We had a suite which meant we overlooked the Esplanade itself.
The suite was huge and the bathroom was finished beautifully in marble with both a bath and a shower. We had some problems with the shower flooding the bathroom on a few occasions but suspect this was a small fault with the seals.
The service levels were a little disappointing as the staff seemed somewhat aloof. When we arrived in a taxi no one met us until we were in the lobby despite clearly need assistance with our luggage.
As many of the other reviews mentioned the lack of free wifi is a little disappointing in a five start hotel when in fact there is free wifi in many parts of the city.
The hotel is expensive but not out of line with other hotels in Helsinki and if you book in advance there seemed to be significant savings.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Spacious rooms, polite staff. I only stayed a night and only literally to sleep so I can't comment on any other aspects such as the breakfast.
It was extremely hot when I visited and the AC didn't seem to be very effective, but I guess this was un-seasonal by Finnish standards!
Big bathroom with nice toiletries.
I have nothing bad to say about this place at all. For a short business trip it's ideal, in a good location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed here with a friend for a couple of nights and was looking forward to it after hearing so much great things about it. The hotel itself is right in the center of Helsinki, which is perfect for those who are interested in shopping and doing people-watching. It's a beautiful hotel with large rooms and the luxury-feel you except from a hotel in this class. I have no complaints about the room, the staff or the beds per se, but there were some flaws.

When you stay at a place like this, you except certain things. I was shocked to find out that you are expected to pay for using the WiFi connection. The fee is not a small one either. In fact, the price for 24h access was around 20€, which is just ridiculous. How come this isn't free for the guests when other hotels in lower price ranges can offer it for free? Needless to say, we didn't want to support this form of robbery and so didn't use the service.

Finally, the TV channels had some lag now and then, which was annoying. No idea why, but just so you know.

Besides the WiFi and TV-issue, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I loved the luxurious feel of the hotel which is different to the often corporate feel of some up-market establishments. The location is excellent, a few minutes walk from the central station and right on the Esplanadi a few minutes from the harbour. I really appreciated how quiet the hotel was and although the view on to the inward-looking courtyard was nothing special, it was quiet. The room was large and had everything I needed, the bathroom was especially good with bath and powerful shower. Checking in and out was easy and friendly but I while I was glad not have the hard sell on all the possible extras I could buy, I was a bit suprised not be told about the breakfast arrangements, dining opportunities, use of sauna and gym, hire of bicycles etc. While it might have taken a while to run through every detail a general idea could have been given and the detail gleaned from the on-screen info on rhe TV in the room. Like many other guests I was amazed that a hotel of this quality does not offer free wi-fi in the rooms (you can get this on buses, in cafes and in bars these days) and only offered it in the reception area. I was also disappointed to not be able to use the saunas unless I paid €25. I knew that breakfast was not in my package and found plenty of other places to get a coffee and a bun i the area.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I come to Helsinki on business about four times a year and always stay at Kamp. Service is always good and location is excellent. On this stay, I had two problems, in my room, 805, the air conditioning in the room did not work well and the Internet, which I chose as my gift rather than points, had no signal in the room. It did work if you stood outside the room. In the morning, I had work to do before my flight so rather than relax in a nice air-conditioned room, I checked out. At check-out, I told the agent about the two problems.. Although sympathetic, he did nothing. I thought he would at least offer me the point gift as I didn't get to use my Internet gift. His other comment was that the A/C problem was because it was exceptionally hot. Yes it had been earlier in the week, but that evening was 20 degrees, hot for Helsinki, not not totally off the chart. Kamp, you are the exceptional hotel commanding the highest prices in Helsinki! I have heard the the Crown Plaza although not as elegant, nor in as good a location as Kamp, does a good job for business people and I may try it on my next visit. It's half the price and maybe I can get some A/C and Internet.

Stayed July 2014
Porvoo, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We spent the night in Kämp just a few days ago. Before I start, I'll let you know that this was the first time we went to a 5 star hotel in finland. We chose the hotel based on the reputation and the good price (a somekind of a summer deal). When we arrived, the first reaction was "wow", already the lobby with the bellboy and everything felt luxorious for us. But I soon noticed that we (just a finnish student couple in our twenties) weren't really as welcome as for example the big group of americans or the older asian couple. Maybe it was because we're Finns, maybe because we're young and not that rich or maybe we hadn't payed that much for the room. Who knows, but when we got to our room, it was all forgotten. It was perfect. A lot bigger than we assumed and so clean and cozy. Someone might think that the hotel and the rooms are a bit dated, but I somehow like the older touch and feel that it feels fancier and cozier than a very modern look. I think I liked the bathroom most. It had separately a shower and a bathtub, and there were a lot of different products to use. We slept well in the Kind sized bed and in the morning we headed to eat some breakfast. About the breakfast: we're huge brekfast lovers, and had our hopes up for this one. For a very unpleasent surprise we found out that it didn't include in the price of the room. I was really dissapointed. By the way, the staff didn't mention about it when we arrived, which I feel a bit unfair. Anyway, we didn't feel like paying 29 euros per head for just a regular breakfast so we wen't across the street to Karl Fazer cafe and enjoyed a wonderful buffet breakfast for only 12 euros! I really recommend it. Overall I woud say that with a bit more welcoming feeling from the staff and with the breakfast (or the sunday brunch) I woud totally give 5 stars, but now I don't think so.

• Stayed July 2014
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Hotel Kamp is a boutique member of the Starwood Group which we found to offer very good personal service. We checked in at 7am after a 24hr journey from Australia and were not only given immediate access to our room but given an upgrade to a small suite; all done with a smile.
The suite was well appointed and the only thing missing was free wifi access to the internet. This was available down in the lobby and restaurants.
What pleased us most was the convenient location on one of the main streets of Helsinki and in easy walking distance of most attractions. We dined at the hotel one night and had a very good meal.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kamp? Share your experiences!