“Nice hotel - spacious rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Kamp
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pohjoisesplanadi 29, Helsinki 00100, Finland   |
Ranked #6 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
London, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel - spacious rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Spacious rooms, polite staff. I only stayed a night and only literally to sleep so I can't comment on any other aspects such as the breakfast.
It was extremely hot when I visited and the AC didn't seem to be very effective, but I guess this was un-seasonal by Finnish standards!
Big bathroom with nice toiletries.
I have nothing bad to say about this place at all. For a short business trip it's ideal, in a good location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Finnish first
Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed here with a friend for a couple of nights and was looking forward to it after hearing so much great things about it. The hotel itself is right in the center of Helsinki, which is perfect for those who are interested in shopping and doing people-watching. It's a beautiful hotel with large rooms and the luxury-feel you except from a hotel in this class. I have no complaints about the room, the staff or the beds per se, but there were some flaws.

When you stay at a place like this, you except certain things. I was shocked to find out that you are expected to pay for using the WiFi connection. The fee is not a small one either. In fact, the price for 24h access was around 20€, which is just ridiculous. How come this isn't free for the guests when other hotels in lower price ranges can offer it for free? Needless to say, we didn't want to support this form of robbery and so didn't use the service.

Finally, the TV channels had some lag now and then, which was annoying. No idea why, but just so you know.

Besides the WiFi and TV-issue, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I loved the luxurious feel of the hotel which is different to the often corporate feel of some up-market establishments. The location is excellent, a few minutes walk from the central station and right on the Esplanadi a few minutes from the harbour. I really appreciated how quiet the hotel was and although the view on to the inward-looking courtyard was nothing special, it was quiet. The room was large and had everything I needed, the bathroom was especially good with bath and powerful shower. Checking in and out was easy and friendly but I while I was glad not have the hard sell on all the possible extras I could buy, I was a bit suprised not be told about the breakfast arrangements, dining opportunities, use of sauna and gym, hire of bicycles etc. While it might have taken a while to run through every detail a general idea could have been given and the detail gleaned from the on-screen info on rhe TV in the room. Like many other guests I was amazed that a hotel of this quality does not offer free wi-fi in the rooms (you can get this on buses, in cafes and in bars these days) and only offered it in the reception area. I was also disappointed to not be able to use the saunas unless I paid €25. I knew that breakfast was not in my package and found plenty of other places to get a coffee and a bun i the area.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I come to Helsinki on business about four times a year and always stay at Kamp. Service is always good and location is excellent. On this stay, I had two problems, in my room, 805, the air conditioning in the room did not work well and the Internet, which I chose as my gift rather than points, had no signal in the room. It did work if you stood outside the room. In the morning, I had work to do before my flight so rather than relax in a nice air-conditioned room, I checked out. At check-out, I told the agent about the two problems.. Although sympathetic, he did nothing. I thought he would at least offer me the point gift as I didn't get to use my Internet gift. His other comment was that the A/C problem was because it was exceptionally hot. Yes it had been earlier in the week, but that evening was 20 degrees, hot for Helsinki, not not totally off the chart. Kamp, you are the exceptional hotel commanding the highest prices in Helsinki! I have heard the the Crown Plaza although not as elegant, nor in as good a location as Kamp, does a good job for business people and I may try it on my next visit. It's half the price and maybe I can get some A/C and Internet.

Stayed July 2014
Porvoo, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We spent the night in Kämp just a few days ago. Before I start, I'll let you know that this was the first time we went to a 5 star hotel in finland. We chose the hotel based on the reputation and the good price (a somekind of a summer deal). When we arrived, the first reaction was "wow", already the lobby with the bellboy and everything felt luxorious for us. But I soon noticed that we (just a finnish student couple in our twenties) weren't really as welcome as for example the big group of americans or the older asian couple. Maybe it was because we're Finns, maybe because we're young and not that rich or maybe we hadn't payed that much for the room. Who knows, but when we got to our room, it was all forgotten. It was perfect. A lot bigger than we assumed and so clean and cozy. Someone might think that the hotel and the rooms are a bit dated, but I somehow like the older touch and feel that it feels fancier and cozier than a very modern look. I think I liked the bathroom most. It had separately a shower and a bathtub, and there were a lot of different products to use. We slept well in the Kind sized bed and in the morning we headed to eat some breakfast. About the breakfast: we're huge brekfast lovers, and had our hopes up for this one. For a very unpleasent surprise we found out that it didn't include in the price of the room. I was really dissapointed. By the way, the staff didn't mention about it when we arrived, which I feel a bit unfair. Anyway, we didn't feel like paying 29 euros per head for just a regular breakfast so we wen't across the street to Karl Fazer cafe and enjoyed a wonderful buffet breakfast for only 12 euros! I really recommend it. Overall I woud say that with a bit more welcoming feeling from the staff and with the breakfast (or the sunday brunch) I woud totally give 5 stars, but now I don't think so.

• Stayed July 2014
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Hotel Kamp is a boutique member of the Starwood Group which we found to offer very good personal service. We checked in at 7am after a 24hr journey from Australia and were not only given immediate access to our room but given an upgrade to a small suite; all done with a smile.
The suite was well appointed and the only thing missing was free wifi access to the internet. This was available down in the lobby and restaurants.
What pleased us most was the convenient location on one of the main streets of Helsinki and in easy walking distance of most attractions. We dined at the hotel one night and had a very good meal.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Bromley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Being very familiar with Helsinki, I have to admit that for location and convenience you can't get much better than Hotel Kämp. Although there are a handful of other hotels nearby like the Glo and Sokos, depending on the budged you're travelling with, I think for the little extra cost for room rates it's definitely worth staying here, specially considering the history and luxury status of the hotel.

I didn't book any room upgrades so believe the basic room we had, called the luxury room, was very comfortable and good sized but didn't offer much in way of a view as it was facing the rear inside court of the hotel. This was however not an issue for us as we spent most of our time in Helsinki out and about. The room came well equipped with a flat screen tv, free safe to use, iron and ironing board, hair dryer in the bathroom and plenty of toiletries with bath robes and slippers to use as well.

My only reasons for not rating this hotel the full 5 stars is firstly, as I have seen a few other people comment on, is no Free WiFi in the rooms. Although you get free WiFi in reception, I cannot comprehend why they don't extend it throughout the entire hotel, specially as it is so freely available everywhere else in Helsinki. The result for the in room charge for Wifi is a number of people sitting in reception all the time with their electronic devices. Secondly, as nice as the hotel is, I think their prices for certain items is just too overboard. A glass of beet in the brasserie is nearly a whopping 12 Euros (circa £10 sterling) and if you want omelette for breakfast in room for 2 people, you're paying pretty much £50+ for the pleasure (2 x 23eur for the omelettes + 12eur for the delivery).......for EGGS!!!!

In short, avoiding all the 'excessive extras', the hotel is well worth a visit and personally would stay again and recommend it to anyone going to Helsinki.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kamp? Share your experiences!