“A luxorious hotel with a perfect location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Kamp
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pohjoisesplanadi 29, Helsinki 00100, Finland   |
Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
Porvoo, Finland
“A luxorious hotel with a perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We spent the night in Kämp just a few days ago. Before I start, I'll let you know that this was the first time we went to a 5 star hotel in finland. We chose the hotel based on the reputation and the good price (a somekind of a summer deal). When we arrived, the first reaction was "wow", already the lobby with the bellboy and everything felt luxorious for us. But I soon noticed that we (just a finnish student couple in our twenties) weren't really as welcome as for example the big group of americans or the older asian couple. Maybe it was because we're Finns, maybe because we're young and not that rich or maybe we hadn't payed that much for the room. Who knows, but when we got to our room, it was all forgotten. It was perfect. A lot bigger than we assumed and so clean and cozy. Someone might think that the hotel and the rooms are a bit dated, but I somehow like the older touch and feel that it feels fancier and cozier than a very modern look. I think I liked the bathroom most. It had separately a shower and a bathtub, and there were a lot of different products to use. We slept well in the Kind sized bed and in the morning we headed to eat some breakfast. About the breakfast: we're huge brekfast lovers, and had our hopes up for this one. For a very unpleasent surprise we found out that it didn't include in the price of the room. I was really dissapointed. By the way, the staff didn't mention about it when we arrived, which I feel a bit unfair. Anyway, we didn't feel like paying 29 euros per head for just a regular breakfast so we wen't across the street to Karl Fazer cafe and enjoyed a wonderful buffet breakfast for only 12 euros! I really recommend it. Overall I woud say that with a bit more welcoming feeling from the staff and with the breakfast (or the sunday brunch) I woud totally give 5 stars, but now I don't think so.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Finnish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Hotel Kamp is a boutique member of the Starwood Group which we found to offer very good personal service. We checked in at 7am after a 24hr journey from Australia and were not only given immediate access to our room but given an upgrade to a small suite; all done with a smile.
The suite was well appointed and the only thing missing was free wifi access to the internet. This was available down in the lobby and restaurants.
What pleased us most was the convenient location on one of the main streets of Helsinki and in easy walking distance of most attractions. We dined at the hotel one night and had a very good meal.

Bromley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Being very familiar with Helsinki, I have to admit that for location and convenience you can't get much better than Hotel Kämp. Although there are a handful of other hotels nearby like the Glo and Sokos, depending on the budged you're travelling with, I think for the little extra cost for room rates it's definitely worth staying here, specially considering the history and luxury status of the hotel.

I didn't book any room upgrades so believe the basic room we had, called the luxury room, was very comfortable and good sized but didn't offer much in way of a view as it was facing the rear inside court of the hotel. This was however not an issue for us as we spent most of our time in Helsinki out and about. The room came well equipped with a flat screen tv, free safe to use, iron and ironing board, hair dryer in the bathroom and plenty of toiletries with bath robes and slippers to use as well.

My only reasons for not rating this hotel the full 5 stars is firstly, as I have seen a few other people comment on, is no Free WiFi in the rooms. Although you get free WiFi in reception, I cannot comprehend why they don't extend it throughout the entire hotel, specially as it is so freely available everywhere else in Helsinki. The result for the in room charge for Wifi is a number of people sitting in reception all the time with their electronic devices. Secondly, as nice as the hotel is, I think their prices for certain items is just too overboard. A glass of beet in the brasserie is nearly a whopping 12 Euros (circa £10 sterling) and if you want omelette for breakfast in room for 2 people, you're paying pretty much £50+ for the pleasure (2 x 23eur for the omelettes + 12eur for the delivery).......for EGGS!!!!

In short, avoiding all the 'excessive extras', the hotel is well worth a visit and personally would stay again and recommend it to anyone going to Helsinki.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Ai noticed that a great many reviews were posted by men, so I am not surprised that few mentioned the cleanliness. The housekeeping needs serious attention. On the floor outside of the elevator on our floor there was a piece of paper that was not picked up for three days. The vase on the way to the bar have not been dusted for months. I dropped a piece of cellophane in my room and it was not picked up for two days. We had no turn down service on or first day and had to ask for it on another evening. The desk in our room needed dusting below just the surface.
On the positive, the breakfast buffet was good and the personnel were exceedingly friendly. The bathroom was rat iota ally designed except for the light switch being located outside so that I woke my husband up when I had to visit the potty at night. Very annoying.
I want to reinforce the comments about the wifi. He'll, just charge me more for the room and quit nickel and dimming my charges. Expensive wifi charges are the number one annoyance aof travelers. Take heed Kamp. Clean up and provide wifi.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Luxury hotel in the middle of the shopping centre. Walking distance from main train station and ferry harbour.
Only thing I didn't like is the room service will charge extra for orders less than 50 Euros.

• Stayed May 2014
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Kamp every week or so for 4 months on business last year and grew fond of it even though though the age of the property is showing through. It's truly one of the most elegant and charming hotels I've stayed at and I think -- a bargain for the location (and if you're a platinum member!)

Suite upgrades were rare April -August. Out of the 12+ weeks I stayed, I was upgraded for just 2 of the weeks but very much enjoyed the suites both times. The Molton Brown toiletries in the suites were appreciated, so were the views of the main Esplanade. Each suite is unique and though not very spacious, they felt elegant and a large step above the regular rooms.

In the regular rooms, as a platinum member, I always received a half bottle of red wine upon check in. All rooms have great blackout drapes -- useful if you're visiting during the bright summer nights. All bathrooms are marble and very generously sized. Some of the showers are a bit leaky and water pressure is varied between rooms.

My two favorite things about staying at the Kamp -- which absolutely warrants a visit back if I am ever in Helsinki again:
-The saunas in the spa are absolutely fantastic. The saunas are free of charge to platinum guests and the spa offers 3 different saunas: traditional finnish, steam, and turkish bath. I always found the turkish bath much too hot (when it wasn't broken), but the other two are just beyond comparison. Hands down best sauna facilities I've ever used.

-The food: the breakfast spread at the Brasserie Kamp is generous and the quality is outstanding. Their croissants are the most buttery and flaky I've had outside of Paris. There's lots of fruit and fresh and smoked fish, and eggs done different ways. It's the best bargain if you use select the breakfast as your platinum amenity. The lunch and dinner service is good but I preferred the other connecting restaurant, Yume, for dinner. Make sure to visit the Kamp Bar at night -- it is a great scene, very stylish, and goes late (late for Helsinki) -- hard to find elsewhere in Helsinki. There's a good selection of scotches and whiskeys and the cocktails are always expertly made.

The service was always professional, if a bit sterile.

Room for improvement:
-Bed linens (sheets) and towels were scratchy and fell well below expectations. I can forgive the slightly worn furnishings but the linens were really quite a few levels below what I'd expect at a Luxury Collection hotel and really a disappointment. Even standard Sheratons in the US have better quality bedding. They'll be fine for a short visit but I was always glad to be sleeping in another bed when I left.

-Improve quality of toiletries. The air in the room and in Helsinki is very very dry, even in the summer months. The bath toiletries irritated my skin and caused even more dryness, while the lotion wasn't very effective.

Overall, it was still a wonderful experience -- and I'll definitely be back if I'm in Helsinki.

Room Tip: Inward facing rooms (towards the courtyards) are smaller, quieter. Outward facing rooms are brighter...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sydney,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Yes, this shows it's age but still probably one of the better hotels in Helsinki. Good location but no great views unfortunately. Free wi fi only in the reception area but if all you want is to check emails that's fine, anything else could be costly. Nice little restaurant/cafe but suggest a la carte for breakfast as the buffet is quite pricey unless you are a big eater. Room was comfortable and the bath and shower was well set up. Nothing special for a top hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kamp? Share your experiences!