“Elegant, traditional” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels in Helsinki
San Francisco, California
“Elegant, traditional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Kamp every week or so for 4 months on business last year and grew fond of it even though though the age of the property is showing through. It's truly one of the most elegant and charming hotels I've stayed at and I think -- a bargain for the location (and if you're a platinum member!)

Suite upgrades were rare April -August. Out of the 12+ weeks I stayed, I was upgraded for just 2 of the weeks but very much enjoyed the suites both times. The Molton Brown toiletries in the suites were appreciated, so were the views of the main Esplanade. Each suite is unique and though not very spacious, they felt elegant and a large step above the regular rooms.

In the regular rooms, as a platinum member, I always received a half bottle of red wine upon check in. All rooms have great blackout drapes -- useful if you're visiting during the bright summer nights. All bathrooms are marble and very generously sized. Some of the showers are a bit leaky and water pressure is varied between rooms.

My two favorite things about staying at the Kamp -- which absolutely warrants a visit back if I am ever in Helsinki again:
-The saunas in the spa are absolutely fantastic. The saunas are free of charge to platinum guests and the spa offers 3 different saunas: traditional finnish, steam, and turkish bath. I always found the turkish bath much too hot (when it wasn't broken), but the other two are just beyond comparison. Hands down best sauna facilities I've ever used.

-The food: the breakfast spread at the Brasserie Kamp is generous and the quality is outstanding. Their croissants are the most buttery and flaky I've had outside of Paris. There's lots of fruit and fresh and smoked fish, and eggs done different ways. It's the best bargain if you use select the breakfast as your platinum amenity. The lunch and dinner service is good but I preferred the other connecting restaurant, Yume, for dinner. Make sure to visit the Kamp Bar at night -- it is a great scene, very stylish, and goes late (late for Helsinki) -- hard to find elsewhere in Helsinki. There's a good selection of scotches and whiskeys and the cocktails are always expertly made.

The service was always professional, if a bit sterile.

Room for improvement:
-Bed linens (sheets) and towels were scratchy and fell well below expectations. I can forgive the slightly worn furnishings but the linens were really quite a few levels below what I'd expect at a Luxury Collection hotel and really a disappointment. Even standard Sheratons in the US have better quality bedding. They'll be fine for a short visit but I was always glad to be sleeping in another bed when I left.

-Improve quality of toiletries. The air in the room and in Helsinki is very very dry, even in the summer months. The bath toiletries irritated my skin and caused even more dryness, while the lotion wasn't very effective.

Overall, it was still a wonderful experience -- and I'll definitely be back if I'm in Helsinki.

Room Tip: Inward facing rooms (towards the courtyards) are smaller, quieter. Outward facing rooms are brighter...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Finnish first
Sydney,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Yes, this shows it's age but still probably one of the better hotels in Helsinki. Good location but no great views unfortunately. Free wi fi only in the reception area but if all you want is to check emails that's fine, anything else could be costly. Nice little restaurant/cafe but suggest a la carte for breakfast as the buffet is quite pricey unless you are a big eater. Room was comfortable and the bath and shower was well set up. Nothing special for a top hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a deluxe room that was small and over $600 per night. The room was clean but felt old. Sheets slightly small for bed kept coming up during the night. Showers were tiny. View of a very ugly inner court. It was warm and we had to call service to get ac. Front desk was always very busy and had to wait in lines to get direction and info... Bellman were great and front desk nice and helpful when you get to them.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Tina_Kaikkonen, Johtaja at Hotel Kamp, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Scout777Phx,

Thank you for your comments and review of your stay. I wish to express my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you’ve faced during your stay here with us. It is regrettable to hear your stay did not meet your expectations, and I am very sorry to hear you had to wait to get service. This is of course not our regular situation as we try to attend to our guests needs as promptly as possible.

I am however excited to hear you have encountered our staff as nice and helpful, since we encourage our personnel to give memorable service to all our guests to make their stay most comfortable. I am also happy to express our future plans of refurbishing our guest rooms in 2015, when I hope you have a chance to experience the newly refurbished rooms.

On behalf of the entire management team, I thank you again for the time you took to share your experience with us and for the opportunity to improve our services. We hope to welcome you back in the future!

Kind regards,
Tina Kaikkonen
Assistant Hotel Manager
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Kämp has it's own character amongst Helsinki hotels and a very central location. Our standard room was rather compact and facing inner yard that was not such an exciting as for the view. The hotel needs to invest in few more pillows as getting extra pillows seemed to be a challenge.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I have the privilege of travelling quite regularly and had the pleasant experience of the Hotel Kamp. When the taxi driver asked me if I was a celebrity staying there it did make me chuckle and I guess went someway to guide me on the fact that the hotel wasn't the cheapest I had stayed in.

I received a very warm welcome from the reception team. The hotel had a distinctly historical luxury feel to it which continued when entering the room. I felt like I was staying in a palace. The bed was very comfortable (to the point I nearly overslept) and the room finished to a very high standard and was very clean. I was blasted by the shower, which is a big plus when needing to wake up at an ungodly hour. Location-wise you cannot go wrong as you are within walking distance of the harbour, shops and public transportation. The bar on the ground floor was very nice, and waiting staff very attentive.

The Kamp would have got a 5* for me but the one thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was the charges for the WiFi. They were extortionate! With the room being a premium price I was surprised. In the 21st century you do not expect to be paying €40 for 24 hours access. A low cost hotel maybe, but not here. Fortunately I could access the internet by pairing with my work handset so not the end of the world.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We spent only one night at the Hotel Kamp in mid-June and were delighted with our stay. As most have said, the location is central to shopping, local attractions and an easy walk to or from the train station. The staff was friendly and quite helpful. The bed was just what we needed. The Karl Fazer Chocolate Shop is just down the pedestrian walkway from the hotel and is a delight for chocolate lovers and non-chocolate lovers. They also serve breakfast and have some incredible looking pastries in addition to lots and lots of chocolate. Helsinki is an easy city to get around.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kirkland, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Our last destination in a two week adventure through Scandinavia, this hotel was a real treat. I felt pampered and the room was luxurious. We enjoyed the feeling of being spoiled after some rather austere (but very efficient) rooms elsewhere. I would highly recommend it as a lovely oasis in Helsinki.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Kamp? Share your experiences!