“This is my favorite hotel in Finland” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Kamp
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pohjoisesplanadi 29, Helsinki 00100, Finland   |
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Milton, Massachusetts
“This is my favorite hotel in Finland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We have stayed here on several occasions including when we got married. Overall the hotel is wonderful. The rooms are very nice and some include large soaking tubs. It has an older style appropriate to the hotel's age, but everything is in great condition and definitely a 5 star experience. They even spread rose pedals on the bed in a heart shape to celebrate our anniversary.

The spa is also one of my favorite things. They have a nice sauna, steam room, etc. Worth a visit if you are staying. Relaxing and peaceful. The rooms have plush robes that you can use for the spa too.

The bar area is nice, but just outside the bar area there is more lounge seating that is nice to meet people in a quiet setting for a drink.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Finnish first
Tallinn, Estonia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

It was not the first time I stayed at this hotel. So, I can compare before and now..

The location is great and rooms are beautiful. BUT!

I was very disapointing with the staff which is not welcoming.
Very poor breakfast service and too noisy with no free table!

Hotel charges a steep fee for internet in the room so we had to go down to lobby for free wifi - not a 5 star rank!

My opinion, that this hotel is overpriced.

I wouldnt stay there once again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Nice Breakfast and good service. The location is excellent. The rooms are average very clean and bathrooms are big and very clean. The food at the cafe restaurant is also good at a fair price and service.

Room Tip: Facing the street
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
FARNHAM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed here for our 33rd Wedding Anniversary citybreak.
We found the staff very charming and friendly and we were particularly taken with Mark on the front-desk. We were rather put off by the price of breakfast and ate out every day at one of the many coffee-shops that can be found in central Helsinki.
Charging for wi-fi access in a Five Star hotel like this is a complete nonsense and left a sour taste. It should be incorporated into the room rate as much as the daily house-keeping and hot water are. Saying that, this was a personal not a business visit so my need to have Internet access was minimal.These small criticisms aside wouldn't stop us visiting the Kamp again. But the price of breakfast and Wi-Fi need to be addressed.

Room Tip: The spa facilities were great, but the sauna at 65C was too small for the size of cabin. It was too...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Helsinki
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Hi All,
I've stayed at Kämp for several times over the years. My latest visit was in April 2013.
I booked the room directly from the hotel and had some difficulties with reservation center in order to make myself understood, but problems got solved after all - not getting into details here.
I stayed at Kämp (this time) with my spouse. We were there to celebrate my birthday. I happened to mention this at the reception when checking-in and kindly asked if an upgrade was possible due to this event. Young girl at the front desk said that she is not authorized to upgrade anyone so she had to ask the hotel manager whether it is all right to do so. However, when she came back she said that all of the better rooms were overbooked for the weekend but there was a room on a higher floor that was available. I tried to figure out what was the actual difference between the two, but apparently nothing else but the location (higher floor). Well, that was fine with me.
So, I got into my room (with plenty of luggage and no one offered to assist me with them, even when there were several bellmen there when I arrived). 5 minutes (or so) later someone knocked the door and said "Here is your birthday gift from the hotel." and gave me some chocolate and walked away. She didn't even say happy birthday, which I found so odd. In principal, nice gesture, but if you give a gift to someone, there is a proper way of doing it, be polite, genuine and respectful.
The room we got was in such poor shape, or to be more specific, its furniture and amenities were. There were so many things broken, torn, scratched, dirty etc. that I was completely stunned. Is this the pride of Helsinki, Finland's only real 5 star hotel? Having traveled around the globe at least 3-4 times I must say this was not what I expected. Each time I've stayed at Kämp, I've gotten a room worse than the one before and each time I've paid more than the time before.
I have to say I loved the bathroom though. It's like from another hotel.
We decided to go for dinner and booked the room via room service, which confirmed that the table reservation was done under my name. Once we got to the restaurant, all of a sudden they couldn't find my reservation. After some investigation it turned out that the reservation was under our room number, not my name. We got the table from the patio, which is really nice. However, we felt like non VIP's, meaning; no one really cared for us. Other tables had servants all over them, whereas we had to wait to be able to even order a class of wine. Poor service, I have to say. However, special thanks to our waiter for being such an excellent wine expert. We know quite a bit of wines and it was nice of him to present different wines for us. My meal was delicious, whereas my spouse’s wasn’t. At the end of our meal I asked if we could get the dessert to our room, but the waiter said that it's not possible. Well, ok, we walked to the Fazer cafe opposite the hotel and got some nice dessert from there and enjoyed it in our room.
The bed I have to mention, as well as pillows, loved them and I'm quite demanding in terms of having proper pillows.
However, the sleeping quality got quite poor since the housekeeping was being very noisy early on the Sunday morning. I had several nasty wake ups when someone slammed the door right behind the bed. So stressful and the point of staying at the hotel was to get away from the stress and just relax...
Overall, not the experience I was looking for and I have to say that I don't consider of returning in the near future as there are many hotels in Helsinki that treat guests with more respect and higher level of professionalism than what we experienced at Kämp, and I’m genuinely sorry to say this since I’d like to like the Kämp due to its unique history and atmosphere.
In 5 star hotels you treat your guests with respect, yet friendly, and above all, as valued, wanted guests, regardless whether you work at the front desk, housekeeping, restaurant waiter/waitress, bellman etc. and this is not what we experienced. Every guest is important and every staff member should understand that hotels are there for their guests, not the other way around.
This visit left me with very confused and mixed feelings.
Having said all this, I know the Kämp has lots of potential, it just needs to re-evaluate its values, goals and staff's professionalism and, when problems are found/heard, be humble enough to appreciate the fact that guests give feedback from their valuable perspective (as guests bring in the profits after all) and learn from it.
I think one of the biggest problems is the fact that Kämp's service quality varies too much, whereas in a 5 star hotel you expect nothing less but great, professional treatment through the entire stay.
Would I recommend this? Depends on what you are looking for. Great location for dining out and shopping in the city. But if you are looking forward for a stay wherein you just relax, stay at the hotel and enjoy its high-quality services and activities then this may not be the place for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Were with friends in November. Not many were worried that the hotel is not located in the center, but as it turned out to any institution located 10 minutes on foot. Staff helpful, speaks English and Russian languages. We settled at 4 am, but we were offered an early breakfast (included in the room rate). The next morning, the buffet was not bad. It's funny that for breakfast except coffee and juices, you can also take a beer. Many visitors come to the hotel with children, so in the mornings for breakfast noisy. In general, a normal hotel at relatively affordable prices

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed for two nights at the hotel, attending a wedding there. A beautiful hotel with friendly and attentive staff - a big thank you to Anthony who was particularly helpful. Lovely spacious bedroom and a luxury bathroom. Super buffet breakfast offering an excellent choice of food. The Restaurant Manager and his staff were extremely efficient and helpful. A very good location in the centre of Helsinki, near to the shops, railway/bus stations and sites. Loved our stay and hope to return again in the warmer weather.
Gordon and Janet White

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th Floor, very quiet, but would imagine the same for all floors.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Kamp? Share your experiences!