“Stylish hotel central location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Kamp
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pohjoisesplanadi 29, Helsinki 00100, Finland   |
Ranked #6 of 62 Hotels in Helsinki
Reading, United Kingdom
“Stylish hotel central location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

The Kamp is a typical top end city hotel, a bit bland and corporate, but very comfortable and well appointed. Service was fine although no one offered to take our bags to the room which is unusual for a hotel in this price bracket. The location in central Helsinki makes it a great base and the are some fabulous design stores nearby to check out.

• Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Finnish first
Europe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

The Kämp has a nice atmosphere, but attention to detail is lacking.

For example, the 30 EUR breakfast leaves a lot to be desired, including decent scrambled eggs.

Housekeeping is unacceptably poor - I slipped when out running and scratched myself quite badly. The next evening, I came back to the same blood stained sheets I had left in the morning (see photos).

Leave your shoes for polish, and the shoe bag will not be replenished.

Leave the ironing board out, and it will not be put back in the cupboard.

Etc.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I have stayed here several times and I still find it the same as mentioned in the title, it's still probably the best hotel in Helsinki but lacking the real five star qualily both in service and the hardware. This time I spent one night in July with my husband just to finish our summer holiday in the city center.

The rooms are a little bit plain and worn. I noticed the mattress cover was way too small for the bed which felt unhygienic.

However we found the the breakfast was better than on earlier visits which is a plus. And the location is the best possible in Helsinki.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I stayed here in July 2013. The location was superb, the room was big and well equipped. Loved the bathroom, it was beautiful and clean. However the air conditioner was a little cold and humid, not good for my throat.

Breakfast was quite nice, not just the usual greasy 'hotel-stuff'. The lobby was quite small. The corridors were beautifully furnished and I felt safe here. However the staff weren't very friendly, there were some celebrities staying there at the same time, so that may be why they treated us 'nobodies' like air.

I think it was a bit pricey for Helsinki, but well, location costs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Spent a night in the deluxe king size room and the whole experience from check-in till check out was superb. The decor was excellent, the room luxurious, the sound proofing and privacy without par. Breakfast was tasty, and full of variety. Definitely my choice every time I need to stay in helsinki.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We loved this hotel. It was truly a 5 star. The staff were extremely helpful and very friendly. The rooms were very spacious and well furnished. It was conveniently located to the main sites, marina and an easy walk to the train station. We would not hesitate to stay here again when we return to this charming city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I just completed a 4-night stay in Helsinki, and I stayed at Hotel Kamp. I loved it. The hotel property itself is quite good. The hotel has old-school grand charm, the rooms are good and big, the bathrooms are fantastic, the WiFi is reliable and speedy, the gym is fantastic, and the bar is an amazing place to get a drink or two and hang out. (The bar is very pricey, but my experience suggested that lots of restaurants and bars in Helsinki are expensive. At the Hotel Kamp bar, you at least get very high quality for your euro.) Standing alone, these attributes would probably lead me to give Hotel Kamp a 4 or 4.5 rating. What puts them up at 5 stars, however, was the staff. The staff at the front desk was incredibly helpful. They always had time for me, they were friendly and polite, they gave me countless reliable opinions on restaurants and sights to see, and they came through for me when I was in a crunch. In particular, I had a last-minute surprise when I was packing for the airport and my departure. When I got on-line to do my check-in, I learned that there was a Finnair strike, and that my flight was cancelled. It was also impossible to get through to Finnair. The Hotel Kamp helped me through this pretty seamlessly. They were able to give me an extra night at a very fair rate, and they gave great advice about how to handle the Finnair situation. I loved my stay at Hotel Kamp. One other thing: make sure to go the cafe Fazer across the street. Go more than once!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo