“Tres magnifique - perfect location” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Kamp
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pohjoisesplanadi 29, Helsinki 00100, Finland   |
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Oxford, New Zealand
“Tres magnifique - perfect location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Hotel Kamp is located in the heart of Helsinki near the popular promenade The Esplanade .The original hotel was built in the 19th century but due to deterioration over time the building was completely demolished in 1965 ( subject to much local resistance) and rebuilt in its current form with half the building a re-creation of the former building and a modern structure for the balance.The interior was re-created in a contemporary high end style that replicated the stye of the original hotel.The hotel is Helsinki's only 5 star and it lives up to its rating in ever respect.We booked a king size deluxe room and upgraded to a Executive Room for an additional 20 euros.The executive room was more like a junior suite and was extremely well appointed and exceptionally comfortable.We had two evening meals at the hotel and whilst the menu has limited choice the food was exceptional.The staff are very professional - efficient, friendly and helpful. This hotel is an exceptional place to stay in and I highly recommend the hotel to fellow travellers.The only niggle is - the hotel charges for WiFi access ,which is a bit of a penny pinch for a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Book a king size deluxe and pay for the upgrade to a Executive Room.
Mika_Makkonen, Manager at Hotel Kamp, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear PADOxford,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent visit to Hotel Kämp. I am amazed how well you know our Hotel's history, wow! We are really proud of our history and we are trying our best to share our story. Therefore I am extremely pleased to read your comments and that your stay with us was pleasant.

We are looking forward to have you back here as our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Finnish first
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The location of the hotel is the best, right on the main esplanade heading down to the water and in the middle of the best shopping area. We had an Executive room on the 8th floor and it was fantastic, perfect in size and lots of light from the windows. The bathroom had both a tub and a shower and lots of small products and a bath duck! We had access to their spa and it was great, different kinds of saunas and a lounge area to sit and relax in. The staff was amazing, we came a bit early so our room wasnt ready so they took our phone number and called us directly when it was available and our bag was already there. The minibar had a section for the guest so we could put some own stuff there, great idea which more hotels should adopt. Internet is not free but the fee is modest so it didnt matter. We had both lunch and breakfast at the hotel as well as drinks in the evening and the food is just fabulous, although a bit on the expensive side but definately worth it. At the evening the bar area was full of people so it was fun to hang there for a while. Check out is quite late so there's no rush in the morning and again the staff was super friendly. Loved every second!

Mika_Makkonen, Manager at Hotel Kamp, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear sannis82,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us at the Hotel Kämp.

You really loved it and would stay here again - what more could we hope for. Thank you once again for your kind kind words.

We are looking forward to have you back here as our guests.

Kind Regards,

Mika Makkonen
Hotel Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Right on a Fifth Avenue and two blocks from the market and ship port. The location is excellent- walk everywhere.
Room was nice. Water did not reach hot temperatures for bathing. Nice large oversized bath towels.
They have bikes to borrow
One negative is staffing. There was not always someone downstairs when you had a question. This happened twice. Although extremely helpful.
Gym and changing area quiet. Not sure it's with the upgrade. I paid 30Euros.
It was a bit expensive, but worth it be be close to everything.
I would stay again.
If they included breakfast it would measure up to most other hotels around the world.

• Stayed July 2013
Denver, Colorado USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Hotel Kamp.... We happened upon you by accident. We were originally going to stay in a converted prison up on the waterfront, and though probably interesting, as our departure approached my wife and I jointly decided the charm of sleeping in converted cells was not really our preferred option. We did a new search and quickly discovered the Hotel Kamp. I dare say it is really Helsinki's answer to NYC's Plaza. This is the old world elegance that I really look for in Europe.
We arrived early and the hotel did not have any upgrade rooms available but the staff at the front quickly found a room for us. I really appreciated that as we needed a shower to revive. Room 931. The 9th floor seemed to me that had rooms away from the front and the older part of the hotel but that mattered very little to us. The room was vert comfortable with great Internet wifi, large bathroom with both large tub and generously sized shower. Large bed not two small ones tied together... With great feather pillows, duvet and nice not to soft not to hard mattress. TV had BBC, CNBC, MTV, CNN, etc in English. Ample closet space, usable desk, safe and mini bar. We had an interior court yard view enough to see some flags and judge the weather. To be honest we did not mind that because with light almost 24 hours a day in summer the complete blackout curtains were more important. In fact maybe our back from the street room came in handy as the Kamp is located right on the main park where many Finns gather to listen to music and talk late into the evening so it might have been more of an advantage than I first realized. The hotel staff was really great a very special shout out should go to Vivika. Vivika, used her local knowledge to arrange a thorough tour for us of neighboring Tallen's Old Town. ( see separate review). She did so saving us 100's of Euro's to boot by booking individually away from the big tour companies.
This type of specialized knowledgable service is precisely why one should consider staying at properties like Hotel Kamp. Hotels like Kamp attract the best employees and the resulting guest experience is usually vastly superior, as it was here thanks to Vivika. We have found this over and over in our travels.
Breakfast is served in their nice restaurant with a large selection of choices. We enjoyed watching the city waken and come to life in the streets outside our window.
We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone in Helsinki for business or pleasure who is looking for a professional elegant friendly experience.

Room Tip: We stayed back from the street on the 9th floor in what appeared to be the newer part of the hotel b...
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Let me start with the good - 1. Excellent location in the city to get to most places, including the public transit system. 2. Great breakfast and well worth it to pay for it, even if it's not included in the room rate you get. 3. A nice room and very comfortable bed. My take is this hotel seems to be geared more towards the business traveler as it is GIGANTIC! A maze of hallways took us back to our room. I say it is geared for the business traveller as who else would pay the the insane WiFi cost per day $32.00US? Only a business traveller can write this off as a reimbursible travel expense. The hotel is a bit worn (dirty stained ottoman in the room) and some service lapses - such as the dirty tray of dishes that sat at the end of the hallway for 2 days during our stay. The hotel bar is nice - but so busy with non-hotel guests that bar service suffers greatly. We sat down for a drink and the bartender told us he would be "right back" we never saw him again and waited 20 minutes for a drink by walking up to the bar. Another small service lapse - the pillows are on the bed were too soft - so I called down to get 2 firm pillows brought up (granted it was late a night) 2 phone calls and 50 minutes later someone showed up with the 2 soft pillows I already had. Bear in mind there is a 2 page "brochure" that explains the pillows and options to the guest - I guess isn't read by the hotel staff. The shower stall was on the smallish side (but I realize that is the way in Europe). For the non-business traveller, you might be better served by a small boutique hotel that may prove to be a better value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is the best place to stay in Helsinki. Located on the finest esplanade, this hotel offers large and very comfortable rooms. Conveniently located to everything you'll wish to do in this beautiful city. Excellent service. Do make a point of staying here. Minor annoyance is the extra charge for using wifi in the room (it is 2013 folks!). Fitness centre is small and adequate.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a street view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, UK/Detroit, MI, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Kamp over the course of three weeks whilst traveling to Helsinki on business. In general, there are a lot of good things about this property; however, there are also some issues that I wouldn't expect to find at a hotel of this caliber (I detail these these things later in the review).

The Hotel Kamp is stuffy and is considered to be one of the nicest hotels in Helsinki. The bar is filled every night with a mix of well dressed, pretentious guests and locals (the main entrance is on the side of the property, so you can avoid this mess). The location is great and is within walking distance of stores, restaurants, etc.

I stayed in a "Premium Deluxe Room", which was clean, well appointed and large. There is a large desk / working area, which was ideal for me. Depending on where the room is located in the hotel, you could have a long walk from the lift.

The food is good (room service), but very, very expensive. In fact, everything in this hotel is very, very expensive.

As I mentioned at the start of my review, there are a few things that keep me from rating this property as "excellent":

(1) Bad air conditioning: It was abnormally hot when I was in Helsinki and the air conditioning in the rooms do not work well (even with the fan set to high, the coldest temperature setting applied, etc.). You get nothing more than a light breeze of air coming through the vent. It was miserable.

(2) - Poor bed: A "king sized" bed is actually two twin beds put together. This is useless because you can't you sleep in the middle.

(3) - Other areas: My room service was quite late one night (note: they did apologise and remove the tray charge), Internet is not free (it is actually very expensive) and their "business centre" is one computer in a closet behind reception (laughable). Finally, each room comes with an iron. During one trip, I checked in after midnight and found that my room did not have an iron it. I called down to have one delivered and the Front Desk started arguing with me, saying that i overlooked the iron and one had to be in my room. When I finally convinced them that it was missing, they delivered one and said that housekeeping would need to pick it up first thing in the morning because it was their only spare!

As the Hotel Kamp is considered a 5 start hotel, my review comes with a more critical lens applied. As such, this hotel straddles average / very good. Before staying again, I would (personally) explore other nice hotels in Helsinki.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Kamp? Share your experiences!