“One of the bests in HKI” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Haven
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Unioninkatu 17, Helsinki 00130, Finland   |
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
warsaw
“One of the bests in HKI”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

- great location near center and Esplanadi park, however 5-10mins walk to railway / metro
- cozy, big rooms
- nice bath with TV next to :)
- clean
- excellent service
- very good breakfast
- can be pricey comparing to other Helsinki hotels

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Finnish first
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

While the room was nice, clean and comfortable, we had several issues to complain about with regards to the breakfast.

- Our coffee/tea was forgotten and we had to ask again for it after 15 minutes no less
- Omelette costs extra and was likewise forgotten and we had ask for it again after waiting for 15 minutes
- Oatmeal was luke warm at best
- Scrambled eggs, bacon and oatmeal as the only "hot" items
- No cups were left at the juice table

In general, the breakfast was hardly up to the standards of a high quality hotel. Choose Kämp, Torni or Glo instead. One can't but wonder what the 6 chefs and 3 waiters were busy with considering the unimpressive layout and less customers than staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelHaven, Restaurant Manager at Hotel Haven, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear ”Vleino”
Thank you for your feedback concerning Hotel Haven’s breakfast served to you on the first of May in restaurant Havis. I am sad to hear about your disappointment with our service which was not according to our set standards. Every breakfast guest is important to us and we want to ensure everyone enjoys our breakfast. Breakfast is often the last thing guests remember after their hotel visit and this makes it even more important to us.

I would like to apologize to you that this time we did not succeed in the way that breakfast should be served to you. On the behalf of our morning staff I am sorry that they concentrated more in preparing the first of May lunch seating instead of making your breakfast excellent.

Should you wish to discuss this case in person with me, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at Hotel Haven

Best Regards

Eeva Holopainen
Restaurant Manager
Restaurant Havis
Hotel Haven
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

The room was quite adequate. Very clean. Great location. Hotel restaurant was excellent. The hotel bar/lounge was very nice as well and offered various seating areas and felt like home (a very nice home at that).

• Stayed April 2013
athens
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed 4 nights at Haven hotel. I returned back very unhappy. It was a bad experience for me.. A big disappointment.
1**when i arrived by taxi, nobody helped me with baggages. After chec in, they gave me the room card and i went alone to the room. They did not show me how works the shower , t.v. etc.
2 ** the bathroom was full of water, whenever you use the shower in the tube. I asked .the duty manager to come and see that, and she told me that allways happens ! IT IS A BIG PROBLEM! And sure, not for 5 star hotel ! I had a lux room, more expensive than the others, it had nice harbor view, it was at 6 floor, but the tables were damaged and the office chair and an other seat, blue, were very dirty and you could not seat ! The duty manager asked me if i want to change the dirty chair !
The manager was on easter holiday, so i never met him.
3 ** THE BIGEST PROBLEM was with black out curtins. They are shorter, they are not as long as have to be, so every morning i waked up at 5.30 ! ! !It is crazy ! I cannot sleep if it is not dark in bedroom , like the most people in the world ! A 5 STAR hotel, must has the right curtins for right black out !! ! !
The breakfast it was opened at 7.30, so i was waiting 2 hours. It was nice, you had many choices and the people there were kind. But you have to pay EXTRA if you want omelette!
The housekeeper came at 10.00 at the morning, she was very kind and she tried to fix it up, with black out,but the room again had iside light .So, i could not sleep.A man from reseption, told me to give me another room, BYT NOT LUX, with NO VIEW, and SMALLER !!! Of course, i said no ! The right thing is to offer me an upgrate and they told me the oposite !After this, they told me to help me to change hotel. But i wanted 5 star hotel and harbor view. There is only 1 more 5 star in helsinki and no harbor view, so i did not change.
I had sent 4 mails before go to haven hotel and they told me that blackout and everything willbe fine, but it was not !
4 *** tv in bathroom it was broken !When i told them, they told me that they fix it up, and the next day, i asked again and they told me that was broken !
5 ***After 2 days, i asked again to change room and at the evening, they show me one, lux room, at 8 floor, bigger than mine at 6 floor, but the view wasnot so nice.
6 *** the hotel is in a nice point and you can go for shopping , eating etc, very easy. It has also a nice bar, inside and i had a glass of wine but it is very very expensive !
7 **Some ladies at reception, are not kind and i felt very bad and very sad.One told me that has not curtins at her house and she put me black bags at the windows but i was awfull !
8 ***One housekeeping, with DIRTY HANDS gave me the clean towels !
9 ***No clock in the room , nowhere !
10 ***During chec out, i told them that i was very sorry, i had spend a lot of money and 5 days and i was without sleep because of their short black out curtins and they didnot care !
All in all, i had a bad experience in hotel haven . It is not a really 5 star hotel ! I went to relaxe, but i returned very very tired and of course , very sad with this behavor ! Big disapointment !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

A lovely welcoming hotel in a great location for seeing the city. Staff were friendly and room gorgeous (with Elemis products in bathroom - mmm!). A cosy lounge / bar area with a lovely fire and a world class selection of whiskies!
Breakfast was fresh and tasty - coffee served in Finnish mugs I wanted to take home!
A stone's throw from the harbour and tram stops - as well as the city's best shopping.
For either business, with friends or for a romantic break - I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Espoo, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Hotel Haven's ready thought structure works. They literally think on behalf of you and reminds of deadlines closing with a friendly call. All changes was easy to made and connections with two restaurants with meeting facilities worked well. Easily connected from the Helsinki harbour - ships from Tallinn and Stockholm just outside. Also parking not too complicated and yet in the heart of the city.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Altrincham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We took the overnight ferry (M/S Silja Serenade (Tallink Silja)) from "Värtahamnen" terminal Stockholm to Helsinki. Arrived in the morning at "Olympia Terminal" in Helsinki; with two small hand luggage,walked towards the city centre (@ the terminal main entrance turned right and spotted the view of the city) by following the crowd; walked passed the car park by the harbor (on our right) ; crossed the main road at the end of the car park (saw a yellow/ orange bricks building) at the marked pedestrian crossing; turned into a side street (paved with cobblestones like) and walked uphill; took the immediate right and we saw the sign of the main entrance of the hotel.

Total journey took us 15-20 minutes and was lovely on a sunny day. The hotel was located at a side street but it was close the naked statue surrounded by seals by the habor & market place which could be easily located on the map. You could email the hotel for direction, we did. There were trams, and taxis outside the terminal so with heavy luggage you could use the taxis service.

On arrival we were greeted by Erkki who was professional and helpful and checked us in and helped us to plan our sightseeing trip in the city. We were impressed when he told us that we could buy the "Helsinki Card" from the hotel and also booked & reserved seats for us for our guided bus tour + gave us the city maps & directions. The other female receptionists were also helpful, friendly and speak good English.

The tour bus (was yellow/ orange) departed from the Esplanade park (behind the glass restaurant (approx. 5 minute walk from hotel). The tour lasted approx. 2 hour which we really enjoyed. Would recommend it! If you need more info. just ask at check-in, they are only too happy to help.

We had a twin room and bathroom- was spacious, with tasteful decors and comfortable with lovely furnishing and did enjoy a great night sleep. Love to have been able to open the windows but the air condition was great so it was fine. There were coffee and tea making facilities as well as good wifi.

Breakfast was served in a cosy cafe within the hotel ground which was relaxing with great and friendly service. There were great selections of hot and cold items plus champagne! Loved the traditional Finnish pie Karjalan piirakka" ("Karelian pie") & one of the lovely female staff wrote the name down for me.

The hotel was within walking distance to various tourist attractions: Senate Square, (white building), Uspenski Cathedral, bridge of love, market square.. ; shops and cafes, BigMac..; department stores: "Stockmann" (like Selfridges, John Lewis), “Helsingfors” (central train station where we would catch our train, 35 Allergro to St Petersburg). Close to the hotel, was a little store (like 7 eleven) with yellow signage, at the corner facing the naked statue where we bought bottle water and chocolates.

We visited the Viking Line terminal, “Katajanokka” (for our day trip from Helsinki to Tallinn for the following day) by Tram NO. 4 (got on at the corner stop down Unioninkatu Street with Senate Sq. on our right). We did ask the driver for our stop.
Hotel was helpful, sent us a link for Tram timetable http://www.hsl.fi/ via email few weeks before our trip.
With only a day bag and nice sunny weather, on our return journey, we walked back to the hotel (about 15 - 20 minute walk by the West harbor) which was lovely. We spotted loads of people walking along the harbor on the night we got back from Tallinn to Helsinki and we did the same.

Will definitely recommend this hotel!
Many thanks to the travelers who helped us to pick this hotel.

Room Tip: A quiet room & high floor.