“Can't go wrong staying here....” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Haven
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Unioninkatu 17, Helsinki 00130, Finland   |
Ranked #2 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Can't go wrong staying here....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I made a fairly last minute reservation at Hotel Haven while I was in Helsinki for 4 days for business. You cannot go wrong, everything was perfect. The front desk staff was so very friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to do the "little extra things" that make a stay so much nicer. For example, my taxi was coming at 6am to take me to the airport and they arranged for coffee and light breakfast to be waiting for me in the lobby. The room was very comfortable and again, little thing, had a great hairdryer which even the nicest hotels are usually lacking. The bed was perfect and the view was very pretty, even in the winter. Most of all, the location was awesome. Steps away from the beautiful park and steps away from great shopping and restaurants. Easy internet access with a good connection allowed me to facetime with my kids in USA and the restaurant was great for breakfast (and free). I needed to print a few documents and they were able to do so very easily and quickly. I definitely recommend Hotel Haven to anyone going to Helsinki for business or pleasure.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Finnish first
Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This time Haven was a heaven. Last time something prevented me for giving it full 5 stars (mainly breakfast). This time however, almost everything went smoothly. We stayed 2 nights in Lux room with a beautiful view to the harbor.

Check in and check out were handled in a second. The rooms are top notch with well thought furniture, nice bathroom with all necessary amenities (Elemis shampoos etc., TV), B&O tv and a supercomfy bed. Internet and breakfast were included to the price and the WiFi actually worked (I had to work from the room). 2 bottles of water is brought to you in the evening. There is also a thick bathrobe and slippers for the quests. My small request (and I believe most people do not agree with me) would be to replace the Nespresso machine with either a normal kettle and coffee or with another fancy coffee machine that would give you a proper cup of coffee with milk and a possibility to have a cup of tea instead on tiny cup of espresso (which is not my favorite). Our little baby had a baby cot and got his own bath amenities in a cute bag (a very nice touch).

The only weird thing was the cleaning. We didn’t get any or should I say that we got 10% of it. It seems that the cleaning lady came to our room, our bed was half made (duvet cover was nicely placed but comforter was lying on the floor), the towels were on the floor but the garbage cans were emptied. It seems like someone was cleaning our room and then suddenly something urgent happened and he/she had to leave.

Breakfast was better than last time although it is still slightly limited. They could add something special to that breakfast. We didn’t dine in the hotel but we have previously been to the hotel bar. Cosy bar with steep prices. Location is quiet but central. Only a few hundred meters from Esplanadi and all the main shopping streets. We stayed in this hotel first time 2009 and I think it has kept its charm. I couldn’t see much of a wear in the furniture and since the style is classic, it will work for years . I would definitely stay in Haven also in the future. Rooms are designed for my taste and everything worked well. I’m already waiting for a stay in the summer time when the city is blooming.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Excellent long weekend in Helsinki. On arrival we were offered a map, then the manager proceeded to circle the places we were interested in and print off a timetable of the ferry we wished to take the next day. Bar and restuarant staff very friendly. Each time we returned to hotel we were given a genuine greeting from desk staff. Spot on level of service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

What can I say? Firstly my apologies for writing this so late, we stayed here march 2011, the location on the harbour front was great, we had a suite overlooking this - offered an upgrade at a fraction of the cost as a room was available and as we were on our honeymoon we decided to go for it. The room was well dressed, exceptionally clean, the only thing was that bring tea drinkers in a coffee nation there wasn't a facility for this, but one quick call and this sorted. Walk to town is about 10-15minutes with plenty of coffee shops around, and a walk to the ferry terminal is 10minutes also for a day trip. The breakfast selection had a wide variety, I went for local/traditional breakfasts while my wife had cornflakes - but we both left happy. Unfortunately we dined out every night but on return we headed for the bar where if the cocktail wasn't on the menu the bartender had the skills to make it - also the drinks are reasonably priced, there are gym facilities should you need them and a spa. Checking in and outlook less than 5minutes and the concierge was brilliant about things we could do, the main travel information exchange is only 5minutes walk away! We had a fantastic stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, nice to see standards haven't dropped from current reviewers! Thanks again.

Room Tip: The sea view is worth it and if you can afford the check-in upgrade to the suite it's worth it!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed for two nights in a Deluxe room and I was very happy with my stay. This was a personal trip and my first time at this hotel. When travelling on business to Helsinki I have stayed in Hotel Kämp but wanted to try somewhere different. I was happy with my choice. The room was excellent, finished to a high standard and very comfortable. Bathroom was nice and well equipped and presented, perhaps a little smaller than others but good. The staff I met were very friendly and offered good service. The bar is a nice place to relax and the hotel a boutique feel which I enjoyed and made a nice change to the corporate feel of other hotels in the city. Recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Englewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Spent two nights at the hotel, as part of a trip north to Munio for an Artic driving program. Was pleasantly surprized at checkin to be told the Hotel had "upgraded" me to a better "deluxe" room. Don't know what the regular room would have been like, but I can say the deluxe version on the 4th floor was large by, IME, "normal" European room experience, quite with 1st class bed, linens and furnishings. The only downside, personal to my preferences, it the room was equiped with a bathtub in which there were shower fittings, but which required stepping up, over and into the tub (vs. a more preferred regular "walk-in" shower arrangement. My room was on the main street (ie. front entrance) side of the building. It'd been snowing steadily, both before, during and it seems as I left. This meant the snow plow folks were busy rather early each morning (@4 am) and the noise of plowing and clearing was audilbe as the city woke. Really not much the Hotel can do about that, and I don't know if one had a room on the other side of the building (? Harbor view/windows) if it would have be quieter or not. There is afterall a street on that side as well.

The room came with breakfast, and a 20% off discount coupon to encourage sampling diner at the Hotels own restaurant. Found the meal at the Restaurant one of the best prepared fish dishes I've had in Helsinki, or any where else for that matter. If the dish I ordered that evening is any basis to judge, I high recomend the Haven's restaurant as well. The Bar, while outstanding & excellent, is more of a lounge - particular excellent if one's traveling with a group or meeting with colleagues etc., perhaps not so friendly if traveling alone or expecting to find or meet folks for conversation. All in all, a great if a bit pricy place to stay. Better for couples I think than single travelers.

Room Tip: Might ask the staff if it makes any difference either noise or view wise to be on the town or harbor...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Naantali, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My opinion is, that Hotel Haven is number 1 hotel in Helsinki, if you think price vs.quality. Hotel Kämp is more luxurios, but Haven has all the necessities there as well, it's much more "homely"and sea views are always big plus. Location is great, You can walk many of the most important sights. And don't forget that Restaurant Sundmans in same building is one of the best restaurants in Helsinki. We have been in Haven few times and it has always been great experience and staff is really friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Always ask room with sea views
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Haven? Share your experiences!