“Excellent Hotel & Location” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Haven
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Unioninkatu 17, Helsinki 00130, Finland   |
Ranked #2 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Pontypridd
“Excellent Hotel & Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Stayed at the hotel as part of business trip to Helsinki.
The Reception Team were welcoming, friendly and courteous, the Room 503, was immaculate, relaxing bed and warm and relaxing despite temperatures of -19 outside.
There was a little noise from within the hotel building through the night but no real problem.
The hotel appears to be in a good location for the waterfront, park and restaurants.

Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Finnish first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

My family of 4 stayed here for 2 nights. We had chosen the Hotel Fabian but were contacted a few weeks before our visit and offered rooms at the Hotel Haven as the Fabian was unavailable one of the nights we had booked. Usually you would be a bit put out, but the company, (which owns both Hotels) was apologetic, polite and respectful. They offered us similar rooms (one upgraded to allow us to have adjoining rooms) for the same rates we had booked to Fabian. We were very happy and would have otherwise missed the opportunity to stay at such a luxurious hotel, where service and quality were excellent. The breakfast room was small but the food was lovely and made a great start to the day, great coffee and pastries. We had a standard room adjoining a deluxe room. The deluxe room was incredibly spacious and well appointed with every convenience you would need. Unbelievable beds, so comfortable. The bathrooms were very modern and stylish. Location was great, just out of the city and a block from the harbour. Staff were very helpful and pleasant. Overall a great experience. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We were family of 4, (2C were 13 & 7) stayed 3 nights over the new year in 30-1Jan2012.

Before we were to revisit Helsinki 6 nights later, we walked around the Esplanade Park area scouting for hotels... Hotel Kamp Sheraton was shortlisted. Kamp's offer for us were 2 connecting rooms, w/o breakfasts at E189

Good thing we walked across the street a little more and stumbled across this charming Hotel Haven. It was simply the best hotel ever!

Duty manager offered us a Lux room to accommodate 4 of us, with a free rollaway at E220/night. Including 4 buffet breakfasts. How good was that! And while i was busy with the duty manager, the family were playing chess next to a fireplace in the bar. We were sold!

Come arrival,
We arrived with 6 pieces of luggage. And when they opened the Lux room door, the kids screamed Wow! In addition, "There's a TV in the toilet, dad!". At 10pm, that was the most reassuring comment ever!

During the stay,
+ free wifi
+ B&O tv with comfy chairs/sofa
+ dining table for 4
+ huge bathroom
+ extremely clean & tidy
+ huge room, the suitcases did not get in the way...
+ comfy rollaway
+ Nespresso coffee machine
+ free bedside mineral water
+ free buffet breakfast included
+ excellent front desk/concierge

- king bed were 2 singles joined together, hence the "gap" in the middle
- living room was part carpet, part tiles (rough on the edges)
- 3rd floor Lux had no view, except main road.
- dinner service was a bit slow

Overall,
the convenience of the location, ie. Helsinki Cathedral, Senate Sq, Market Sq, Old Market hall, Suomenlinna ferry point, Uspenski Cathedral, is second to none

We had a fantastic holiday. Simply the best in Helsinki!

Room Tip: smaller rooms had bay facing options
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

The Haven is very good in every way. A good location – slightly away from other business-speciific chain hotels and a snowball’s throw from the restaurants and bars of the Esplanade area. Public transport (tram stop and ferries) is very close. Check in was very efficient - was offered a complimentary room upgrade on arrival. All staff were very friendly and efficient. The ‘Style’ room was very nicely decorated and fixtures and fittings of very high standard. Bed very comfortable, linen top quality. The glass (sliding) bathroom door annoyed me – maybe a good space saver but it needs to be soundproof. Free wifi signal throughout the hotel was strong and there was a special set up for mac / IPhone. The Lobby bar was effortlessly cool and a good place to still by the fire and pretend to play chess. Breakfast in the Havis Restaurant was good, a very plentiful continental affair with scrambled eggs and bacon too (excellent sea buckthorn jam as well!). A great hotel.

Room Tip: Not all 'sea-view' rooms actually have a view of the sea - request it if you really want it...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Riihimaki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Beautiful and stylish decor, peaceful atmosphere, attention to detail, defenately a luxury break with very good location and helpful staff. After three visits to this hotel (once with my husband, once with a friend and once alone) I am happy to say that Hotel Haven feels just as great every time. This is the best hotel in Helsinki (and have tried quite a few of the other ones).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Civita Castellana, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I liked this hotel immediately: the design, the position, the service...the room !
I stayed here with a colleague of mine for 2 nights last year and we did enjoyed it very much. The breakfast was really very good too...It has 2 restaurants and both of them are really very good...
I suggest this hotel to anybody ... It is not cheap of course but the quality is top!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I'm a Finn and have stayed few times in this hotel, but experienced almost every other hotel in Helsinki as well - on a regular basis. There are many very good hotels in this city.
This hotel's premises are of high quality. Rooms nice, beds excellent, materials top class. Location is good but there are even better located hotels and many on this level.
Breakfast OK, but nothing special.

However... what bothers me is the staff.
Almost on each stay there's been an issue of some kind: room too hot or something like that. The issue has not been too big but what has made it bigger is that each time the staff has been unresponsive. And after each time I've kept distance to this hotel for few months. Then I tried again...
Two last times the issue has been more inconvenient, could be even dangerous for someone else.
I have an allergy on feathers thus I have in my profile always "no feather or down pillows/duvets".
Hotel Haven ignored this during my previous two stays, including this review's last stay.
Both times only in the morning did I realize this as my nose was bleeding and having a headache. These symptoms go away in the afternoon, but the day is spoiled anyway. Bad sleep quality and very tired though should be in a good condition for business meetings.
I mentioned about this at the reception during my chek out.
The staff's reaction was unresponsive.
A young trainee was dealing with me and obviously did not know how to act in this situation.
She just said "I understand". I don't blame her much as she was still training but the two senior workers that where standing beside her froze and did not say a word. I was the only customer there. They heard everything but no reactions what so ever. They even helped her with some computer entry issue during all this.
I realized the situation became unconvenient, though I just only mentioned about this issue.
I then said that this happened also on my previous stay, and it spoiled my sleep. I tried to direct my words towards the senior workers as well.
The trainee said confused "Well... I'm sorry...".
The senior workers tried to look invisible.
Not a single word.

No genuine friendliness in this hotel.

Won't be coming back - any more.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
HotelHaven, Manager at Hotel Haven, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Dear "Jaatinen"

First of all I would like to apologise for not meeting up to your expectations - I can assure you that we take your comments seriously, and in fact we are always aiming to be so much more than average.

I am very sad to hear what happened and especially as your feedback concerns our staff which is our utmost valued asset at Hotel Haven,

I have looked into the matter and you are right about the issue about the pillows and duvet. Your profile clearly states that you prefer “foam pillows and duvet”. This is an error of us that we have not taken the necessary means to make sure your preferences will be delivered.

I have talked to all of my staff about this matter and both the senior members of staff remember your feedback in the morning of your departure.

My apologies once more for letting you feel that they were unresponsive towards your feedback.

We have talked about this at our staff meeting and truly hope that your recent stay was not your last at Hotel Haven.
I hope you will consider returning in the future so that we can prove the opposite of your last stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have any further comments.

Warm regards,
Janne Ant-Wuorinen, Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Haven? Share your experiences!