“hotel heaven!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
London, United Kingdom
“hotel heaven!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

amazing hotel, great room, lovely big bathroom,but most of all the staff were FANTASTIC!! They could not have been more helpful. The onlys suggestion would be tea/coffee making facilities in the room. would definately go back

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Pascal G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Haven, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Your comment makes our team very proud and grateful, thank you. Welcome back in Helsinki.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Finnish first
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

After seeing the photos on their website, we booked the Lux Room as a splurge, at the end of our European vacation. This hotel went above and beyond in recognizing our anniversary celebration, though I won't divulge the details here as it would ruin the element of surprise.

The decor is soothing and modern, the bed is amazingly comfortable, we had a corner room with views of the harbour. Floor to ceiling drapes across the two window walls were luxurious and provided total darkness in the morning hours. The incredible TV and Nespresso machine made both my husband and I happy, and we could plug our IPod into the TV to use the speakers.

My husband commented that he wishes we could have kept this room for our whole vacation... transporting this lovely room from city to city would have been a perfect ending and beginning to each day. The room is completely 5*, and has everything you could want. The service is professional and friendly.

Our breakfast was absolutely fine, I am not a big bacon and eggs fan, but there was smoked salmon, croissants and other treats that are so much better than would be offered in a North American hotel. Endless coffee and juice, this alone is worth a lot in this very expensive city.

The location is amazing and I love, love, love this hotel. If I return to Helsinki I won't even bother to research another option.

Room Tip: Spring for a Lux Room - you will not be disappointed!
Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
It was our pleasure to welcome you for your special occasion and we are especially please to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your great review and we hope to be on your itinerary on your next trip to Europe.
Barcelona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We loved (essentially) everything about this hotel! The room was luxurious and tasteful, with a comfortable bed, great big tv, a Nespresso machine and a plush sofa to enjoy the espresso in. The service was excellent, warm and just the right level of curteousness not to feel stuffy. It felt like everyone who worked there - the staff at the reception desk as well as the breakfast staff - loved working there. We were travelling with a baby and we were not only given a cot for her to sleep in but also a little kit with shower cream and lotion for her, which felt like a nice touch. I read in some earlier reviews that some found the breakfast slightly disappointing, to which I can only say that we cannot be talking about the same breakfast buffet. Granted, if you are used to american buffet breakfasts you might be disappointed that you have to pay extra for waffles and omelet, but some excellent scrambled eggs and bacon is included, along with everything else you might expect. It is not the biggest buffet I've ever seen but it is definitely the one with the highest quality stuff! The "essentially" thrown in at the beginning was because my husband - who is a vigorous showerer - asked me to mention that the glass panel serving as a shower curtain wasn't quite up tp the job. But on the other hand, if that is the only thing that's bad about a hotel then that's quite something. Location is excellent, slap bang in the middle of everything.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a view of the market square and harbor.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelHaven, Manager at Hotel Haven, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear fieldinggray,
Thank you very much for your kind review. It is a pleasure for us to hear what our guests have to say about our hotel.
I am also glad to hear about the restaurants and especially the breakfast,
As mentioned before we are not trying to offer a huge buffet but instead want to concentrate on high quality local ingredients.

We hope to see you soon again at Hotel Haven.

Janne Ant-Wuorinen
Hotel Manager
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

This Hotel is perfection to me - Its is beautiful hotel with stunning decor. The staff are friendly and efficient, speaking impeccible English. As soon as I walk in to Haven it sings of its quality and I don't think I have stayed at another Hotel I have liked more.

The rooms are beautifully appointed with the TV etc Bang and Olufsen - a nice touch! i was happy I could plug in my ipod. thinking back, I don't think I saw a clock in the room - perhaps a little strange!

Their restaurant - Havis - was lovely. I think rather under appreciated in Helsinki. The food was high quality - including the breakfast which always earns extra points for me! The restaurant and bar service was very relaxed - so if you are in any kind of hurry, perhaps choose somewhere else to eat!

I run events and looked at almost all the good Hotels in Helsinki, and I am exceptionally pleased to have chosen Haven. The Hotel was perfect and their meeting facilities are in connection with Sundmans - the best restaurant in Helsinki. The meeting staff were exceptional - helpful and coordinated my event perfectly. And of course the food was out of this world - a rarity for group menus.

I have organised other events in the Nordics and UK and this hotel was by no means over priced and the quality was beyond any of the events I have organised before.

I was here on business, but if you are here for leisure this would also be perfect. Its right on the harbour - beautiful.

Overall I cannot recommend this Hotel enough

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HotelHaven, Manager at Hotel Haven, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear EricaB1982,
Thank you for your great review.
It is nice to hear that you also enjoyed your meeting and the food during your stay.
We offer in total five meeting rooms - two on the hotel side and three at Restaurant G W Sundmans. The food and Beverage is a very important part of the meeting experience, hence we are delighted to hear you enjoyed both.

Your feedback regarding a clock in the room is something we will take into consideration and hopefully find a solution for it.

I wish you a nice autumn!

Janne Ant-Wuorinen
Hotel Manager
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

What a marvelous place! Beyond our expectations! Beautiful, well-located, great hospitality, impeccably clean, efficiently managed. We consulted Trip Advisor before our trip, and Hotel Haven was among the top-rated places. We were very, very pleased with it. The welcome from the front desk staff was very warm, the room was lovely, the bar was beautiful, the breakfast buffet was very good, the location on the harbor and close to the Esplanadi was superb, and the nearby restaurants were excellent. We had free internet access from our room. The hotel is elegantly decorated in black, gold and shades of brown and tan. The room was tastefully decorated in neutral, but warm shades of tan with black & gold touches and a hint of purple. And, oh, those elegant black glass elevators!

We stayed 4 nights in a “Style” Room booked on the hotel website at a rate of 217 Euros for our weeknight stays and 189 Euros for Friday and Saturday night. It was larger than a standard room and had an angled view of the harbor. The large comfortable bed was 2 twins pushed together, topped with individual duvets. There was a large wardrobe, a bar, a large desk (free internet!), a TV, an armless upholstered chair, and a purple velvet upholstered bench. There was a lot of lighting and the quality was superb. The lovely bathroom had a granite countertop, large sink, large mirror, bathtub/shower combo, and a toilet separated from the bathroom by a wall. There was even a small TV in the bathroom, but it didn’t always work (bad remote?).

The hotel lobby and bar were elegant, yet relaxing, and the bar seemed to offer every alcohol under the sun. It boasts the largest rum collection in Helsinki. The hotel also houses three independent restaurants, the excellent Havis, the Michelin-starred G. W. Sundman’s, and the more casual tavern-like Sundman’s Krog. (We had an excellent dinner at both the Havis and enjoyed the fish buffet at Sundman’s Krog, but didn’t get to try G.W. Sundman’s). An excellent buffet breakfast is served in the lovely rooms of the Havis. It included a warm buffet with eggs, bacon, porridge, etc. and a cold buffet with breads, cold cuts, cheese, herring, smoked salmon, the most beautiful fruit salad, yogurt, berries, Muesli-type cereal, and more.

When we were requesting a taxi for an early check-out the next morning, the front desk graciously offered to have coffee and a small breakfast ready for us either in the lobby or in our room. It was promptly brought to our room at 6:15 am. What great hospitality we had here throughout the 4-days!

This was such a wonderful hotel that we regretted leaving. We are already dreaming of going back to this wonderful hotel and to the very warm & welcoming city of Helsinki.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the harbor
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your Hotel Haven experience with such a flattering review. We are pleased that you enjoyed our room, restaurants and bar. Looking forward to welcome you back in Helsinki and hope you will have the opportunity to have a meal from Finland’s Chef of the year 2007 Mr. Matti Jämsen at G.W. Sundmans.
Moraga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I stayed four nights on business. My room was on the 8th floor, facing the city, not the harbor. Harbor view would have been nicer, but I didn't feel like being high maintenance. City view was nondescript, quiet at night.

I thought this was an excellent hotel. I'd describe it as similar in scale to a Kimpton hotel in the US, but with generous-sized rooms and with traditional but stylish air, as opposed to the sort-of-hip air some Kimpton hotels have. The lobby is average-sized but nicely lit and appointed. Check in was friendly, quick, and smooth. Elevators are modern but small, with key needed to go up or down. Corridor is well lit and clean, tastefully decorated. Room is good-sized, just on the edge of being what I'd call large. Short hallway with closet/minibar (crazy expensive) to right, then the approx 35 inch TV, then the well-designed desk and power outlets. Lounge at end of bed. Bed was very comfortable, among the most comfortable I've been on. Had a pillowtop. Bedding was interesting. No flat sheet. Terrific comforters on king bed, each about the size of a twin comforter, but very fluffy. Good pillows; I think a mix of feather and non-feather.

Excellent room lighting.

Very nice bathroom. Shower with excellent water pressure and high shower head. Took a minute to figure out how to work it, be careful, and then it was great. Sink and counter are well-lit and ample space. Nice complimentary soap, etc. Towels were among nicest I've had in a hotel. WC area is well lit and you can listen to the TV (there is a screen at bathroom counter). Housekeeping did an excellent job each day.

Breakfast at Havis was included in the rate. Anyone who complains about the Havis spread is way too picky and uptight. I am picky and uptight, and I loved it. Yogurt, oatmeal (fantastic, really), bacon, eggs, juice, tea, coffee, breads, meats, cheeses, pastries, jams (fantastic jams), fruit (so-so, except for the small berries for the yogurt). Low-key service (they check you in and give you coffee/tea and juice, then you're pretty much on your own, but it's fine). Excellent breakfast.

Had dinner in the bar one night. Outstanding hamburger (for 23 Euro). Good Finnish beer. Low-key service, which seems to be the norm in Finland, but friendly. Comfortable setting. Nice chairs, good lighting, nice music in background, nice to watch street traffice through windows.

Across street from Market Hall, which has lots of cool shops. You wouldn't know it from looking at the outside of the building. Outdoor market was on Friday, and I had a local's lunch and bought some trinkets. About a block from the main drag that goes from harbor over to Stockmann's. Very safe, walked several blocks over to Bistro 15 one night, and over to Restaurant Gastone another night. Those places were great. Walked a block over to Sasso's for group dinner -- group was fun, but Sasso's food came in 3d for the week . . . a distant 3d.

If you want to take the ferry to the little island, the ferry picks up about 50 yards from Market Hall. I preferred to walk around the city with my limited time.

Gym was small but got the job done. No sauna -- that's the only downside, would have liked to have taken a sauna in Finland.

I doubt I ever will make my way back to Finland. If I do, it's Hotel Haven all the way.

Room Tip: Try to get a harbor view, but don't sweat it if you don't.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
orange county, california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Beautiful spacious room with couch in mini living room and a wet bar. A gorgeous bathroom with cool handsink in toilet area... Thoughtful master light control switch next to comfy bed and a nice staff.
Somewhat weak in the restaurant at lunch (sloooooow) and a clock in the room would be appreciated. Great location near the harbour and shopping. We liked it very much

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Haven? Share your experiences!