“Good place for business and pleasure in Helsinki” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Albertinkatu 34, Helsinki 00180, Finland (Kampinmalmi)   |
Ranked #20 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Milan, Italy
“Good place for business and pleasure in Helsinki”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I often stay at Alexanteri Hotel in Helsinki for business at European Chemicals Agency or for pleasure.
It is a very confortable hotel, clean and in perfect Finnish-style. I particularly like its strategic position, near the city center so that you may have a walk (in the seasons when the temperature allows it) after dinner or after business meetings.
Breakfast is fantastic, in my opinion... I visited many hotels around the world but Alexantery breakfast is the top.
I suggest, if you'll stay in Helsinki, to book a room at Sokos Hotel Alexanteri, also taking into account the pleasure you may obtain by degusting a good dish at Frasmanni restaurant!

The only weekness is that you may not open the windows in the rooms to guarantee efficiency of air condictioning system.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Martin_Andergard, General Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Aleksanteri, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding the Sokos Hotel Aleksanteri.
This kind of feedback, coming from a frequent valued guest, makes me particularly proud of our staff and facilities. Having said that, we always strive to improve our services in the direction our customers wants and needs.
Our team is looking forward to seeing you again!

Martin Andergard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were here 6 nights - we booked the hotel for staying for a conference, but then stayed 2 additional nights for personal visit of Helsinki.

We liked our room a lot, it was very comfortable and clean - enough wardrobe space and hangers to hang stuff was essential to avoid the need for ironing. But there was also an ironing board and iron in the room.

In the mornings, they have a nice breakfast spread - one thing that is interesting is the care that was shown for lactose-tolerant low. The scrambled eggs were lactose-low for instance, and other stuff too.

Additionally, the reception is very helpful - we got the best advice about ordering cabs or finding our way around. For the last day, they also suggested to prepare us breakfast specially, since we were leaving very early in the morning. We politely refused, but we thought that was a very nice gesture.

Finally, we did not use either, but this hotel has also a sauna and a gym.
Finally,

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Oulu, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Stayed here for three nights with my husband. Our room was clean and comfortable and the location on the Fredrikinkatu side was very good as there was very little noise from the street. The room was a nice size and the bathroom had a bath with a shower. Friendly staff. The breakfast buffet was tasty and varied and the was restaurant cosy. Organic bread and small local pastries (Aleksanterinleivos) were served every day which was a nice touch. Very good value for money as the hotel is situated near the city center but is a bit cheaper than many other hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Well located hotel in Helsinki, close to city center as well as to marina. I stayed in a large bedroom as a single, comfortable bed, well furnished with a large desk, ample storage and hanging space for clothing. Air conditioner quiet and effective. Complimenetary wifi available in bedrooms. Roomy, well appointed bathroom with quality towels. Rooms very secure with keycard necessary to access elevator as well as corridors to residential floors. Brerakfast room large and comfortable with a rich selection of cold as well as hot breakfast dishes, including fruit and vegetables, available to diners. Staff very friendly and helpful with travel information. I will definitely stay in Hotel Sokos Aleksanteri when in Helsinki again. Excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms locaterd overlooking inner courtyard are quieter than those facing street(although street side...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Patras, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

this hotel in Helsinki, is in agood place tosee the city, but there are some significant problems.
1.the reception staff is unkind and does not help anyone to carry the baggages-well we stayed there as members of a group travelling from Greece to Scandinavia and no one helped us when we arrived even in group were some people couldn't carry the baggages.
2.THERE IS A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THE LIFTS.There are two buildings- one new and one old and the lift and the floors are different.Well no one informed us about it and the effect was to be confused to be nervous and not to understand where the rooms were..
3.When I informed the reception desk about the problem.....nothing happened.The employee just smiled...
4.It is very difficult to use the lift in old bulding-different counting of floors-
5.This hotel is in the list of best hotels in 2012 but for me is not
6.The breakfast is o.k and the room is very good, but if you ask for any help....you are unlucky.The hospitality is absent....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Martin_Andergard, General Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Aleksanteri, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear guest,

I sincerely thank you for your feedback regarding the Sokos Hotel Albert. I was truly sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at our hotel. I am sorry about any inconvenience you may have experienced in regards to this.
Our staff will always help with the luggage. If a group arrives that has not pre-ordered luggage handling, it can take a while before the staff can help with the luggage. For all larger groups that had organized luggage handling with us, we always reserve extra bell-staff.
However I am truly sorry to hear that you did not receive help with your luggage upon arrival and I am sorry that in your case we failed to provide the hospitality that we are known for. We have discussed this issue with the front desk staff, in order to secure a better service level in luggage service in the future.
As you stated the hotel consists of two adjoining buildings, where the older building has a lift that is operated differently than the other three lifts in the newer building. This is due to the historical nature of the building and the architecture.
I wish you a great rest of summer and welcome you back to Helsinki and the Sokos Hotel Aleksanteri.

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The location is just perfect! We arrived from Moscow by train (by the way, the train station is awsome and totally worth visiting even if you're not going to use the train itself), and just in 5 minutes of comfortable walk we were in the hotel! The pleasant surprise was that all the way from the train station to the hotel we didn't have to lift our bags, we could wheel them effortlessly, as the city is very well-equipped both for disabled and for travellers like us, with big bags.
At the same time the hotel is in the centre of everything - it's within a walking distance from all the main tourist attractions (and, well, Helsinki itself is pretty small and cosy).
The room was very spacious and stylish - I instantly understood why Helsinki was named the capital of the world's design!
Usually I don't feel comfortable living in one room with my parents, but in this hotel our room was so big that we didn't feel any inconvenience. The bathroom is also huge, every time I took a shower I didn't want to leave it! I think I could even dance there!
We took BB, but it was enough to understand that the food in this hotel was also good and delicious.
Now I'll have to mention a few drawbacks, which didn't spoil my impression of the hotel. Firstly, the hotel restauraunt was smal and often overcrouded in the mornings, so sometimes we had trouble finding a table for ourselves. What's more, the waiters there were almost non-existent, and the tables were always piled with dirty dishes.
Secondly, the reception girls were not always helpful. Once I had to print 1 page, and I had to wait for half an hour to get it, as at first the girl seemed too busy, and then smth was wrong with the printer. Another time i asked to help me and provide with information about Stockholm cheap hostels (I know it's not exactly her job, but I asked for advice, if she didn't know, she could just say it), and instead she wrote me on the paper two web-sites of extremely expensive luxury hotels! It looked as if she was laughing at me.
In the rest of the time, the stuff was neutrally-polite, which suited us fine.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Martin_Andergard, General Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Aleksanteri, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review regarding the Sokos Hotel Aleksanteri.
I have shared your comments with the department staff in regards to the front-desk service. Also I am sorry for the inconvenience the crowded breakfast room caused ( usually July we have most guests due to high level of double or triple occupancy in the rooms) and the misunderstanding in regards to the hotels in Stockholm.

We do hope to see you as our guest again in the near future.

Torino
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I have been in Aleksanteri hotel for a business trip. I had a nice stay, with a large room with standard furnishing (in "old style"). I consider it as a standard hotel, with a price in line with the service. The position is 5min by foot from the city center.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Solo Sokos Hotel Aleksanteri? Share your experiences!