“Great for beginners” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 17 attractions in Kuusamo
Type: Educational Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: From Ruka Ski School you can get lessons for alpine skiing, snowboard, telemark, cross country and skiing for disabled persons. There are lessons for groups but also private lessons.
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Great for beginners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

My husband and our two children aged 7 and 9 attended the ski school as part of the package with our Thompson Holiday. This was mine and the kids first time skiing. The quality of the lessons and tuition were exceptional, I was quite nervous and probably found it slightly harder going than the rest of the group who all had some previous experience. That said I'm glad I was pushed a bit and by the end of the week we were able to go off on our own as a family skiing blue runs and making our way back to the village over the mountain rather than by bus. Our son who immediately took to it all like a duck to water was quickly moved into the adult group and had a blast. This was great as some of the little ones like our daughter were making slightly slower progress. She went off on her own with the others and I did worry slightly about her being away from us but they took great care of her and by the end of the week she was whooshing down the runs just like her brother. We had such an amazing time in Ruka that on our return we immediately booked to return. So in a weeks time we will all there again and we can not wait. I really can't think of a better place to learn. We were so impressed by our whole experience, this is really a quality operational can't fault it anyway it was all so perfect and well organised and we felt in safe and competent hands. Thank you Hannah!

Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“lessons well worth the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Beginners need to be aware the higher level is much higher I got a shock, fell and lost total confidence. Instructor Lauri is the best one. I had not done a button lift or T bar but they are good and the ski lift is on the flat. would have liked to go up on the lift without skis on to look but this is not an option. My first instructor was not very caring and left me on the floor after my fall. I was left at the back because I was slow and often on my own. I was quitting until Lauri asked if I would like to join their group so was happy. Will return next year to try again.

Visited January 2014
Hampshire
4 attraction reviews
“Great instructors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our kids aged 10 and 13 had a 1 hour taster snowboard lesson. English speaking instructor who was very good, and got them up and riding very quickly.

Ellon, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Excellent tuition”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We were all differnet abilities in our family from intermediate to absolute beginners. The ski school provided excellent tuition for us all. They were accomodating to us in ensuring we were all in the right level groupings and the approach and style to teaching was excellent. Thoroughly reccomend them. Skill level and experience of instructors was very good. Totally different from ski schools in I have experienced in France - in a good way!

Espoo, Finland
3 attraction reviews
“Snowboarding school”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Our group of friends wanted to finally try snowboarding, so we decided to have a pro teach us at Ruka. Because as Wikipedia says, "Injuries are more likely amongst beginners, especially those who do not take lessons with professional instructors." ;)

We had varying levels of skiing experience but virtually no experience in snowboarding. The 2.5 hours of training took us from the very basics to going down a blue slope with limited success.

We were able to take the teachings and continue practicing on our own. The average time to "getting it" seemed to be around 1.5 days of snowboarding. The end of the second day started to be actually enjoyable, and we were able to survive some rougher slopes.

The ski school was well organised, and I was surprised how quickly we were taught the basics. Longer / more sessions probably would have provided more value and taken us further a bit faster, but the 2.5 hour set was a good investment anyway.

Visited January 2013