“Outdated” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Rovaniemi
Helsinki, Finland
“Outdated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Sometimes there are no choices and you take what you get. For the price they were asking this was a poor choice as hotel is really old worn out. It was clean, however, and staff were very friendly although busy with all the Russian families spending their New Year vacations in Lapland area. Bed was comfortable but thin walls and doors made you hear all the activities in the hotel, so can not say I slept well. My colleague was sleeping another room same floor and he had same problems. Most likely this hotel is not my choice next time traveling here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Juha_Scandic, General Manager at Scandic Rovaniemi, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Hrrr! It is -27 degrees outside! Oh man it is cold but then on the other hand I believe we'll get used to it if this kind of coldness lasts for a week or two more. So finally things are back to normal after the very unusual weather conditions during New Year's time.

Thank you for staying with us in the beginning of January. Your comments here on Tripadvisor are very much appreciated. You're right about the high prices during our very peak season but again I must say that Scandic hardly was the most expensive hotel in town at that time. We always try to keep our price - quality ratio on a reasonable level but naturally it is understandable that our guests sometimes feel like having paid too much for our rooms when the rates are on a really, really high level.

I'm sorry to read you and your colleague did not rest well enough during your visit and had to leave us tired. It also saddens me to read you'll probably choose one of our competitors during your next visit to Rovaniemi but let's hope you decide otherwise some day.

I wish you all the best and a great year-end!

Best wishes,

Juha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
newcastle upon tyne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I travel on business to Finland often and as a Scandic member I always try to stay in their hotels. This was a family stay as visiting Santa park. This hotel seriously needs a facelift. Don't get me wrong, hotel is clean, staff friendly and helpful and central to the town and 10 minutes to santa park. Just needs freshening up and get rid of the dominant BROWN decor

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Juha_Scandic, General Manager at Scandic Rovaniemi, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Moi!
I'm really glad you took some time and shared your thoughts online. We always try to be at our guests' service with the best possible way so it is very nice to read you had a pleasant stay with us here in Rovaniemi.

I totally agree with you about the facelift and renovation but must say that things could also be much worse than they are. We've been able to do a lots of changes especially into our public areas but of course the hotel's age can be seen here and there. I'm sure something will happen in the near future and as soon as I have some facts about it I'm more than happy to share this information here on Tripadvisor.

Kind regards,

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I guess they assigned us lower floor, it's because we look like group traveller, with voucher. Rooms are average and so so, some furniture are outdated.

Services at the reception's ok, but definitely can be better!

Location's quite good, and within walking distance, you;d able to walk to the centre of rovaniemi.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Juha_Scandic, General Manager at Scandic Rovaniemi, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Hi!
I try not to be a parrot by repeating on every response of mine how grateful I am on our guests' comments here on Tripadvisor.com. No matter what it is always nice to read thoughts about how our guests evaluate our service and products. So thank you for choosing Scandic and for your comments online.

The Tripadvisor readers know already the age of our hotel and all the efforts we have put in during the last couple of years. Therefore I decided not to give any further comments on that issue this time.

What is more important is your opinion on our service. I'm sorry if you felt like a group traveller with your voucher because that was not our intention. Every guest of ours is very important and most welcome to our hotel no matter if they travel individually or with a bigger group. Assigning a lower floor for you without any special request was just a decision made by our night shift when she assigned rooms for all the arrivals on the same day.

I also need to put more focus on our service at the front office because we really need to make sure our guests feel almost like home when they check in at our hotel.

Happy New Year 2014!

Best wishes,

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

We came from Levi to Rovaniemi by bus. The bus stop is just opposite the hotel and it's only about 50 m walk to reach the hotel.

Bus 8 is a nice 5 to 10 min stroll from the hotel.

Hotel is v basic but good enough if you are planning to stay for 1 to 2 days.

Breakfast was ok with a variety of choices.

There's a shopping mall opposite the hotel. MacDonald and Scan burger are just diagonally across the road.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Juha_Scandic, General Manager at Scandic Rovaniemi, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Hello!
Thank you so much for your comments here on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate you took some time and shared your thoughts with us and all Tripadvisor users.

I'm glad to notice you were satisfied with your stay with us and hopefully enjoyed your trip to Lapland and Rovaniemi.

You are most welcome to visit us again some day here in the home town of Santa Claus.

I wish you Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year 2014!

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel has a new gym (it's super small with no windows) and new tv's in the rooms but pretty much everything else needs renewing too. But that said, everything works, service is just fine, rooms are clean and the location is very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Juha_Scandic, General Manager at Scandic Rovaniemi, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Hello!
Thank you for your feedback here on Tripadvisor. Thank you also for choosing Scandic when visited Rovaniemi.

It's really nice to read you found our service fine and that you think our cleanliness etc. are very well on acceptable level or maybe even higher than that.

Every now and then people are asking us when this hotel will be renovated. That I unfortunately cannot answer but can promise that until then we'll keep our rooms and other spaces in as good condition as possible. We've done a lot of improvements during the last couple of years but of course they are not big enough to make this entire place as good as new.

Have a great autumn and hopefully winter arrives soon!

Best regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

A comfortable hotel with very helpful and friendly staff. The restaurant is good and the rooms well furnished and clean. Very convenient for the town and arctic tours etc. Hotels away from the centre have better views and surroundings but this is a good base for exploring.

• Stayed April 2013
Juha_Scandic, General Manager at Scandic Rovaniemi, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Great! We really appreciate your feedback and that you had time to share your experience online too. Our staff has shown some significant improvement in their work and I think we get things done even better in the future after having worked as a team a little bit longer.

It is just marvelous to read your comments which tell us you had a pleasant stay with us in Rovaniemi. This saved my day!

I wish you all the best and hope you'll travel to Rovaniemi again in the future.

With best wishes,

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The pictures on the hotel website as well as on booking.com are totally misleading and probably belong to another property. The rooms shown are no where what the actual rooms are. Had to change rooms multiple times to find an acceptable room that is decent and comfortable enough to sleep and take a shower. The first room did not have an ensuite bathroom. I have never heard of any hotel in this category not having a private bathroom. The next room did not have any wifi signal. The third room was barely acceptable. The bathroom was smaller than that in a ship. It was almost impossible to take a shower in the stall.

The property itself is very dated with obsolete bathroom fixtures, TV etc. The breakfast was the typical supermarket quality affair with just a few fresh fruits that were edible.

However, on the plus side one of the receptionist helped me get my laundry done outside the hotel at a fraction of the cost it would have taken in the hotel. Se made numerous calls and managed it all properly.

The parking is underground with easy access o the hotel, and not too expensive. The hotel is right on the pedestrian street, though there is hardly anything to do. Eating out is also a big challenge in this city. If it is not for visiting the Arctic Circle, I would give this town and the hotel a big skip! Just not worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Juha_Scandic, General Manager at Scandic Rovaniemi, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Hi!
I was just about to go out for a walk with my dog yesterday evening but decided to check my e-mails before that. I had received a review alert from Tripadvisor and saw immediately that something had not been so good with your stay. Well, I went out anyway and climbed up to the Ounasvaara hill. You should have seen all the blueberries and lingonberries in the forest! I ate a lot of 100% fresh and organic blueberries (tasted much better than lingonberries) full of vitamins and minerals while thinking of this feedback of yours. But "what can I say" was everything I could think of.
I already replied by e-mail to your comments you left us on Scandic website but let me try to do it again. First of all our website is not misleading. The latest pictures on our website were taken last year so the photos are not that old and the photos really are ours - not anybody elses. The first room you stayed in is a twin economy room. We have two of those in our hotel and I must admit I really don't know what the architect thought when he drew this building about 20 years ago. Again our website is not misleading as the bathroom arrangement is stated clearly in the room description part. Also as the room is not standard but economy class the room rate is always cheaper than our normal rates are. So basicly it is our guests to decide whether they choose an economy room or a better one with a higher rate.
And FINALLY I have a privilege to announce that Scandic Rovaniemi has got new TVs! Now we have energy saving LED screens in every room of ours with wide range of TV channels so is this not good news or what! At least we are very happy for this change because even though people don't travel to Rovaniemi to watch TV a good TV is an important part of your hotel experience.
I do not apologize to our website or our economy rooms but it doesn't mean I wouldn't feel sorry for you being dissatisfied with your stay at Scandic and especially in Rovaniemi. Hopefully you can give Lapland and Rovaniemi a second chance one day - maybe during winter time?

Best regards,

Juha

Been to Scandic Rovaniemi? Share your experiences!