“Safe, friendly, wonderful views, & great service!!!” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   #64 Water Island, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Special Offer
Inntimate Treasure $200
Madison, Wisconsin
“Safe, friendly, wonderful views, & great service!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Paul, Deb, and Shaun made our first Carribean Island vacation one of, if not the best, vacation we have been on. If you need anything, they will make every attempt to help you out. The trade winds keep you cool and the lush vegetation make the campground an idealistic location for anyone looking for seclusion and relaxation. The screened huts and suite are extremely cozy and roomy. We will definitely stay at the campground on secluded Water Island again. Water Island and Virgin Islands Campground made our vacation!!

Last but not least, Shaun is extremely helpful and outgoing. I lost my wedding band snorkling in Honeymoon bay and he helped in the search when he did not have to. It seemed like all the residents of Water Island were willing to lend a hand in the search. We did not find it but their efforts were over the top. Thank you so much Shaun!

Room Tip: For a little more privacy, select the suite. The huts are closer together, but still offer privacy.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Zach,

So glad you all had a great time and I much appreciate you bragging about Sean...I know everything you said is true about him. He actually is exactly the same with us!!

We do hope you will return and remember a 10% discount will be available to you as long as you book directly thru us.

Until then.

Deborah, Paul and Sean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I went to this campground a couple of weeks ago with my Boyfriend. To say the least it was simply beautiful. It's not too much camping that you feel like youre alone in the woods, and not too facilitated that you feel constricted. It's the best of both worlds. We stayed in Cabin Six which in my opinion was the most private with the best view. It's at the end of the walk-way where only two cabins reside so no one is ever walking by it or anything. The breeze is beautiful through the cabin and keeps you just the right amount of cooled down. The cabins are clean and neat and everything you need is provided. I suggest bringing the food you want down with you and check it because food is more expensive down here. I brought mine and had everything I needed for my entire stay. They say that everything you would need to cook is in the kitchen, which is true, but just a warning there is no microwave or toaster or blender, but none of these things you really need, just need to be aware of before grocery shopping.
The beach is beautiful. The first time I went down to it there were only three other people on the entire thing. I can't say enough of how beautiful it was. If you want to relax and vacation then you probably can do without the crowd, and in that case this is the place for you. The other people staying at the campground are great too. We went out to the beaches and the forts with several of the other travelers.
We went onto St Thomas only twice, once for the Zipline tours and once for shopping. It's very crowded but it's really fun. I totally recommend the Zipline tours, you get to see the entire island and take pictures. We usually asked the locals where to eat and this proved to work out for us. You know it's good when the taxi driver goes in and eats there too.
I can't wait to go back and I suggest anyone should go to the campgrounds. It's beautiful for everyone and water island is a wonderful place. You will definitely not be dissapointed by it's simple beauty.

Caroline&Alex

Room Tip: You can bring 6 liters of alcohol back with you for free checking- pueblos has the cheapest (7 dolle...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Hello again!! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review...I hope the rest of your journey was also amazing. Please come back to see us. Booking directly will get you a 10% discount.

Deborah
Auburn, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

The owners, Paul and Deb, kept in contact with us from the time of reservation until we disembarked from our ferry ride to Phillip's Landing on Water Island. Sean, the grounds-keeper, is a great addition to the campground, knowledgeable, helpful and will hang out with the campers in the shared pavilion after-hours (assuming he's not his normally busy self).

The site is well-kept, clean and colorful. The views from the cabin and communal kitchen are fantastic! The constant trade-winds will keep you cool throughout the day and night. The cabins are clean, cozy and eco-friendly. Fellow campers are cordial, quiet and considerate. Unless you need to be pampered by wait-staff and your itinerary planned out, this is the way to go for a truly relaxing 'self-vacation'.

To the east of the campground, about 200 yards, is Limestone Bay beach. This is an incredible view, a good spot for snorkeling or just beach-combing. To the west, about 400 yards to the other side of the island is Honeymoon Beach. You can't beat this. Secluded, pristine and studded with palm-trees, this is a superb way to relax. If you're hungry or thirsty, you don't have to leave, just visit Dinghy's Beach Bar & Grill. The food is delicious (especially if you're lucky enough to be present for the catch-of-the-day) and the drinks are sublime (thanks, Isla!).

Be sure to bring mosquito repellent and SPF. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: There's no bad view or cabin here. Just make sure to decide whether or not you need a king or q...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for writing a nice review...glad to hear you liked the food at Dingy's...we usually hear Heidi's Honeymoon Grill mentioned...I am waiting to try their pizza!!

I see this was your first island visit...we sure hope it will not be your last...come back and enjoy a 10% discount.

Til next time.

Deb and Paul
Madison, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Needing some alone time brought me to Water Island. As a woman traveling alone, I chose the Suite, which was the right choice for me. I preferred having my own bathroom, especially at night. I always felt safe on the Island, the beaches and on the campgrounds. After meeting people at Heidi's and other campers, I felt like family. I did travel to St Thomas and St Croix and spent much needed quiet, peaceful days on Honeymoon Beach and sea glass hunting on Limestone. I did purchase food at the grocery at the ferry, but ended up eating with new friends and on the beach most of the time. Bottled water was the most used item I bought besides SPF with bug spray. I recommend packing a picnic and going to the fort to watch the sun set and waking up early to see the sun rise from the porch of the suite. Looking forward to my next time back. Thanks to Deborah and Paul
who helped make a great vacation for me!

• Stayed May 2014
I enjoyed hearing about your travels the week you were here...If someone asks me whether or not to go to St. Croix I usually would say no, but hearing about your adventures, I think I need to re consider that answer. it is a little pricy to go there...Seaplane and taxi for the day ( which is the best way to go)...but just the adventure is there.. Interesting you liked the Cruizian Distillery...I have never been...

I also enjoyed your review about sun sets and sun rises. i most morning see the sun rise...and you are right...that is an enjoyable way to start any day!!

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and we hope you will come back to see us ( and enjoy your 10% discount)...

Deborah and Paul
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

The campground is well-maintained and clean. The staff and other campers are friendly, but also respect each other's privacy. It never once got rowdy. The cottages are perfect. We found the bed comfortable. Also they do ask you to do some cleaning upon departure, but it took us about 15 minutes and is really not a big deal. The views are simply like none other. (Trust me we spent about 5 hours at the Marriott/Morningstar Beach one day and they had nothing on these views)

With that said, our experience was average.

it is somewhat unorganized in terms of the common area... for example our food was actually thrown out a day prior to our departure from both the fridge and our cupboard. In management's defense, we never did bring this problem to them as it was so close to our departure (and gave us a good reason to watch a last sunset from Honeymoon beach). However, since this place does have so many rules/guidelines of etiquette for campers to follow we were a bit surprised and upset.

Another issue we ran into was ants in our cabin, particularly our bed. We understand this is a campground, but nobody likes to sleep with ants. The problem seemed to disappear on its own, so again we never brought it to management.

Also, as the title mentions, we did find it hard to explore the rest of USVI, particularly St. John. We chose Virgin Islands Campground for many reasons including the money saving opportunity, but I am not sure we actually saved money since there is a ferry fee ($10 round trip per person) and then one must take a taxi, or a much longer (but substantially less expensive) safari ride to their next destination. The last ferry run is 6:00pm, making it hard to go very far. For example, we left Water Island around 8am and by the time we made it to St. John, we could only stay for about 3 hours since we had to be back to catch this ferry. They say you can reserve a night ferry, but we did this once and the captain made us feel as though we were a huge inconvenience to him. Water Island is great in itself, but if you're looking for a more active sort of exploration vacation, it might be worth it to actually stay on St. Thomas or even St. John.

We did not have a particularly bad experience, but it wasn't an amazing five star experience either, it was simply average.

Room Tip: We requested cabin 6 and the view, particularly the sunrise, was amazing.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
I find it hard to believe that you can complain to the world about things that were not acceptable to you during your stay here at the Virgin islands Campground but not mention the problems you were having to the management.

Groceries being thrown out and ants in the cottage and bed. These things can be dealt with immediately or NEVER if the management doesn't know.

As for your groceries being thrown out i apologize for that and certainly would have been glad to buy you dinner and breakfast had I known. We have a new housekeeper and I just discussed this problem with him. As I told him, the error was not a big deal...the big deal is that it not happen again.. You can tell this to the world but you can't tell the management. Really? In order to improve our facility and keep it: Heaven, great spot, amazing, awesome...you pick a title from any of the reviews!!) we need to know any problems you are having so we can FIX those problems.

Ants in you cottage/bed. My gosh, this is SO easy to fix but you didn't bother to tell us?

The last ferry run is 9pm not 6pm and the first ferry is 6:45am. I am not sure why you are complaining about only 3 hours on St. John when you chose the ferries. It is very easy to do a day trip to St. John or St. Thomas and spend up to 11 hours on St. John or 13 hours on St. Thomas. You see, at 7am the traffic is slower and it is easy to get across town quickly..same with coming back in the evening. Taking the 6pm ferry means you were going thru St. Thomas during rush hour.

You were here only 6 days. Most people find lot to explore right here on Water Island and some like a day trip to St. Thomas and or St. John. Our guest who have been awarded a 10th stay free have left Water Island 1 that is ONE time in 10 stays of 7-10 days per stay.

Reviews are meant to help...how does telling everyone about you not trying to fix "your" problems help? What helps if you give us a chance to fix "your" problems. We never had that chance. Never. Your "average" experience here could have easily been an amazing 5 star experience...like SO many others. i am very sorry you opted for "average".

Deborah Quade
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

My wife and I had the good fortune to stay at Water Island Campground for seven days this month. The stay was great, the owners fantastic and the fellow campers were lots of fun. I would recommend this stay to anyone. We rented a golf cart for our week and toured the island as well as spending several days at honeymoon beach. Can't wait until our return visit.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice words...remember that you will receive a 10% discount upon your return.

Deborah and Paul
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

I'm 56 and don't camp so when my son and his girlfriend wanted to do a high school spring break trip but not a resort, we decided to try this campground on Water Island. We were there just last month in April 2014 for a week. I don't think there is anything like it in the US. Trying to watch our budget and trying to be on a raw vegetarian diet, I brought a lot of groceries from home, yes, Michigan, and my food processor for blended veggies. The grocery store at the marina is pretty good for fresh produce but is more expensive than the US. Getting to the camp was super easy. Water Island is mostly residential and easy to walk from east to west or rent a golf cart and get around in that from camp to beach, otherwise it's a lovely nature path and takes 10-15 minutes. The island is steep and hilly so you'll get your butt shaped up if you walk everywhere! Hiking sandals with some tread like Keen's work great, better than flip flops. Heidi's Grill serves tasty food. The camp itself is high on a hill, the cabins are well built and offer protection from wind and rain and most bugs. I had a fan blowing on me all night to keep any mosquitoes at bay. Most cabins seem to have stellar views. Little geckos are everywhere, be warned, but they are harmless and eat the bugs. Sleeping was, as advertised, very comfortable; nice clean sheets, bath towels and beach towels were in the cabin on arrival. The community kitchen had a cupboard with our number on it and provided useful utensils, knives, silverware, plates, glasses etc. Pots, pans, strainers and other bowls, etc. were stocked. The wind is constantly blowing and blows through the dining area, it diverts the water right out of the faucet as it's quite high above the sink making washing dishes a little awkward sometimes. Also the drinking water filtration filters 1 gallon an hour which is pretty slow so we bought some bottled water and schlepped it over on the ferry. The camp has a huge stock of snorkeling gear for a charge. There are two large refrigerators to store everybody's stuff -- suggest bringing some tape and a marker if you're worried. One thing that would have made the kitchen experience easier would be to have a way to use my food processor on a counter top with an electrical outlet. The outlets were nestled between the refrigerators and not conducive to doing my food processing right there but it worked well in our cabin. If you're coming here, I suggest asking if a specific utensil, kitchen equipment is already there before going don't assume. No toaster or microwave for example. Each cabin has a large cooler you can store food, drinks in. A long counter with shelves underneath that is very handy for preparing light snacks or meals. I made a lot of salads and brought nuts, seeds, celery, carrots, nut butters, avocados, fruit from home. The manager Shawn is a character, great sense of humor and was very sincere in making our stay exceptional. One day he scored some fresh-caught lobster and cooked them for everyone. On our last day he climbed a tree for fresh coconuts for us. People rise at dawn and go to bed fairly early around ten, the camp is quiet and the whole island seems quite safe. One of our guests brought their 7 month old baby and were doing fine. Another young woman was traveling alone. Seems like the perfect place if you were a writer or artist and wanted a great quiet but people-friendly place a little off the beaten path but also close to night life and culture in St. Thomas. The toilets are like a camper toilets and do have an unusual odor but again, this is not a hotel.The toilet and shower area is enclosed and kept clean. The water is not super hot but the weather was so warm, I didn't mind. The bath is stocked with hair blow dryer, extra lotions and bug spray, first aid stuff, cleaning supplies. There's an old WWII fort that we had fun exploring. It's easy to get back to St. Thomas and go shopping too. We hit on a very cool Rastafarian Vegetarian Restaurant and the Barefoot Buddah VERY cool vegetarian restaurant with a wonderful boutique. I hope these details are helpful -- Water Island is a very safe place so if you have teenagers you can feel relaxed letting them go to the beach by themselves. Many campers did day-trips to St. John for the national park there and other snorkeling beaches and attractions. If you take the time to get the bus the locals use, it's way cheaper than using taxis. We mostly decompressed on the world-class Honeymoon beach. I'd say this camp is for people who want something real, close to nature, low-key and not commercial, you get in with the locals pretty quickly or you can keep to yourself. If you can't do the community cooking and bathing thing, the camp does have a really nice apartment which I got a tour of. The Wi-Fi and computer does work and it's in a nice enclosed lounge. All in all, we had an absolutely amazing and fun time. We saw a live conch, a sea turtle, crabs, exotic fish, lizards, hummingbirds, the occasional harmless snake. The sunrises and sunsets are breath-taking, and the stars at night are amazing. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Just thank you. Gosh, I don't have your words...wish I did. You had already written nice words to us...and now this.

Thank You..

Deborah

Been to Virgin Islands Campground? Share your experiences!