“Do not visit Cajarc without visiting this restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Contemporary, International, Bistro
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Villefranche-de-Rouergue, France
“Do not visit Cajarc without visiting this restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My passion is eating out, but I am not a prolific review writer as I only bother to write a review when an establishment has stirred emotion in me, positive or negative. I am therefore surprised to feel such compunction to write my second review of this restaurant.

L'Allee des Vignes is quite simply my favourite restaurant of all time, and I have visited hundreds of restaurants, not least many boasting Michelin stars.

This is a very simple, but absolutely charming and impeccable restaurant in the pretty village of Cajarc. However the simplicity stops at the location and decor. The food and welcome is anything BUT simple. The owners are absolutely charming and the Chef/Proprietor finds the time to come out and meet his guests, despite his busy kitchen activities. His wife, who manages the front of house, is also absolutely charming and attentive.

On this occasion I enjoyed the ‘amuse bouche’ of an absolutely delicious 'ginger king prawn' and a small glass of steaming hot asparagus and rocket soup. I could have eaten the prawn 10 times over it was so crunchy and subtly flavoured.

This was followed by pan friend foie gras with a chocolate sauce. This was such an interesting dish and demonstrated the chef’s creativity. It was not necessarily my favourite way to eat foie gras (although it was absolutely delicious), but the foie gras was cooked to perfection and simply melted in the mouth.

For my main course I enjoyed the meat of the day, which was Veal, again cooked to absolute perfection and exactly as requested. It was accompanied by the most crunchy and fluffy 'big chips' and no words can do the dish justice.

As if this was not all enough, I ended on an assiette of sweets, which I regretfully had chosen to share with my husband. I am not a sweet eater, but the deserts at this perfect restaurant may well have turned me. Every little masterpiece was exquisite, bursting with flavour and flawless.

We washed our meal down with a bottle of Sancerre, which again was perfection.

I feel I have too many superlatives in this review, but this gem of a restaurant deserves them.

Do not visit Cajarc without eating here ........ I am already planning my next opportunity!

• Visited April 2013

91% Recommend
Villefranche-de-Rouergue, France
“What a delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Everything about this beautiful little restaurant is delightful, from the warm and interested welcome, to the scrumptious food and the delicious wines.

The aperitif of the maison (sparkling wine with honey) and the tantalising 'mis en bouche' (a salmon and dill tartlet and a small glass of pumpkin soup) were beautiful and the promise of even more to come was not disappointed.

The foie gras was beautiful, accompanied by the fresh and juicy fig. The 'burger' was an absolute gourmet treat. utterly delicious and not at all what we were expecting and the desert selection was quite simply the best desert selection we have ever enjoyed; all this rounded off by steaming hot and aromatic coffee, with homemade petit fours.

The owners are delightful, warm and inviting and make you feel special and cared for. The ambience is also lovely and we particularly like the decor and the lovely tiles that much of the food was served on.

Our only (very small) criticism is the number of the dish choices on the menu, which would not be a problem if you only chose to eat here 5 or 6 times a year; however we would like to make this a regular visit as everything else was absolutely perfect. I understand the menu changes about 4 times a year, so in reality it would not be a problem to most people, but we (greedily) like to eat out every week!

A real find and a special treat!

We could not recommend this restaurant more highly!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Claude-Emmanuel R, Propriétaire at L'Allee des Vignes, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your warm feedback. It is such a pleasure to realize that our concept and our work are appreciated, and our clients are satisfied.
These kind of comments like yours and like many others let us continue and progress in our work with passion and satisfaction.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon,

Best regards,

Evgenia & Claude-Emmanuel Robin
Indian Hills, Colorado
“Fine food, wonderful staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The staff at this restaurant is superb! We have picky diets (vegetarians, no dairy) and they created a custom entree which consisted of a most lovely plate of fantastic tasting food for us. We were expecting a large bill for this special treatment, but were surprised at how reasonable the prices were. The staff couldn't have been more understanding and helpful, and it is in the pleasant town of Cajarc. You should call for a reservation, as it is very popular. I highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited September 2012
Naussac, France
“Allez to L'Allee...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Good food well cooked, superb wine list, friendly and attentive staff, excellent value, lovely setting - what's not to like? Well worth a visit.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sway, United Kingdom
“Delicious and great value menus based on local food and produce”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Really recommend this restaurant. We booked for lunch on a very hot Thursday lunchtime in August. Surprised at review about 'not worth it' - quite the opposite. Service was very good, not intrusive. Food delicious. "Trio of Duck" amazing as was the surprise selection of mini desserts.

• Visited August 2012