“Close to authentic Chinese cooking.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #83 of 895 Restaurants in Gothenburg
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Close to authentic Chinese cooking.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our go-to Chinese restaurant in Göteborg. Friendly, attentive staff and child friendly atmosphere makes it a great place to take the kids.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Rome, Italy
“Not enough taro in the taro duck, but otherwise good food!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

After reading reviews of Canton House on TripAdvisor and my rather bad craving for taro, we decided to drop by and try their food. We had originally wanted to drop by for lunch, but apparently they were only open from 17h. No problems, there were a number of cafes nearby that we could wait at.

At the stroke of 5pm, we walked in, and ordered the deep fried wonton entrée (tza wantan), and a honey glazed tenderloin marinated in five spices and rosé wine (mà tsà tsá siu) and fried duck with taro (ma zeung ngap) for our mains. The dishes all came with jasmine rice.

The wontons came out quite quickly and were good. You can't go wrong with deep fried pastry, really! Then came our mains. The taro duck was my order, but did not have enough taro at all! Just two very thin slices. It was 90% bok choy really, with a duck breast, and those two small pieces of taro. Admittedly the sauce was yummy and the duck wasn't bad, but this did not satisfy my taro craving at all. It shouldn't be called "taro duck"! Duck on bok choy perhaps, or bok choy with duck. My dinner date enjoyed his honey glazed tenderloin more than I my duck, and when I tasted his dish I had to agree. The serving sizes were small, appropriate to the prices we originally thought of a 'cheap for Gothenburg'. The rice was generous, but quite drier than ideal.

We also ordered dessert, vanilla ice cream with longgan fruit, and deep fried bananas with ice cream. The bananas were delicious but drowned in a syrup far too sweet and unnecessary for the dish (which already had ice cream for the sweetness!).

Our total bill was ~ SEK 670 for one entrée, two mains, two desserts, and two sodas. They only serve Pepsi products here, by the way. Based on the serving size and lack of taro in the taro duck, I wasn't so happy with this. However, this was my first Chinese experience in Gothenburg and all in all, was acceptable. The service was impeccable and we were waited on attentively so that made up for a lot.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Worst chinese food ever tasted in europe.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

As a chinese, i have to say swedish people are really nice or incredibaly naive to give so high comment for this canton house, it has the worst taste and highest price at the same time from my experiences of dining in all kinds of chinese resturants in europe. like the newspaper framed in the resturant window says, I am so impressed.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Best chinese food I have tried in Sweden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Most chinese restaurants in Sweden offer a huge variety of greasy deep fried items and what I call "swedenised" dishes. No flavour, thickening agents, too much sauce etc. Canton is one of my favourite restaurants. My partner and I go every month or two. Our favourite dishes are the duck with taro and five spice pork.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Aachen, Germany
“Probably the best in Sweden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Peking duck, marinated beef and fried duck were all very good and reminded of good Chinese food in the UK. Our first visit but look forward to coming whenever we visit Göteborg

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere