“Excellent on all counts” 5 of 5 stars

Avalon Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kungstorget 9, Gothenburg SE-411 17, Sweden   |
Ranked #3 of 65 hotels in Gothenburg
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent on all counts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

Stayed from June 17-20 (for Metaltown Music Festival and a peek at La Bella Principessa).

Superior room (#59 - 140 euros/night) was clean and funky, with a built-in mini-gym. The bathroom was larger than some whole rooms I have had elsewhere in Europe.

Location also ideal - city centre, across from farmer's market (plent of fresh fruit in June!) and surrounded by restaurants. Particularly enjoyed the Wasabi Japanese restaurant and coffee house.

Staff were extraordinary. When I asked Louise for a plate and knife for our room, she said that they did not have any behind the desk - but that she would go into the restaurant (which was closed) and get them for me. Carin was charming and endlessly patient - answered questions about everything from directions to the Metal Fest to what kinds of bus tickets had best value for money. And special thanks to John - as one small example of his efforts, not only did he jump out from behind the desk to push the elevator button when my hands were full, but offered to come up to my floor and unlock the room door for me!

Breakfast (included) was also very good - bacon, sausage, eggs, various breads/meats/cheeses/juices. All fresh and well prepared. When I wanted to bring a tray upstairs, they not only did not give me the usual hotel grief but found a set of salt and pepper shakers I could borrow!

Hotel has a Feng Shui rating and is funky/classy. Rooms have few right-angle corners and hallways are winding with unusual artwork.

All in all an exceptionally good experience. Recommended without reserations!

Jim Scott

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

402 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I chose this hotel after reading other people's reviews. I eventually booked directly with the hotel itself as that proved cheaper for a better (business) class of room than any of the search engines could offer. Great staff - very helpful and knowledgeable with excellent English. Lovely room - bed had a matress topper and three types of pillow. Bathroom had two sinks, bath, toilet and shower. Complementary bathrobe and slippers. Even a shopping bag and an umbrella for the rain (we were lucky - the weather was wonderful). The breakfast is like nothing else I have ever had. They did soft boiled eggs that would put Delia to shame. Sitting by the fire reading my book and chatting to my friend was great. The only thing to watch for (and I think anyone will tell you) is the price of alcohol. I mistakenly ordered a bottle of wine that cost £48.50. It was lovely though!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed for one night on our honeymoon trip through Sweden. Upon entry, I knew it was going to be a hip place, but I had no idea how hip. We were given a room on the fifth floor in a superior room. I asked if we would have a room with a nice view. The clerk said the view was not so good but the room was very special. Ok. It was the very last room down a very windy hallway. After carrying the heavy load of our bags I was quite frustrated but that dissapeared upon entering the room. We had a huge round bed (the only one in the hotel, we were told by housekeeping) and a more than lovely bathroom with a very very deep tub and separate shower. The sink was made from some stone that exhibited fossils in it. Two large orange leather chairs sat in front of a sony bravia lcd tv, then it was up one curved step to the round bed. Lovely lovely lovely. Huge windows with blackout curtains. Lovely. We had breakfast in the lobby, I didn't expect much and my expectations were way exceeded. It was the nicest selection I have ever seen and that's no exaggeration. Too bad I'm not so much a breakfast person. Meatballs, bacon, swedish sausage, hard and soft boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, a huge selection of breads, coffee, an espresso machine, juices, muesli, cereals, yogurts, salmon, salami, nutella, cheeses about 5 different fresh jams, and that's all I can remember off the top of my head. AND it was a beautiful space. I would stay there just for the breakfast, personally. Oh, and our room had a personal gym in it, which was odd but cool. We've stayed at the Ace in New York which I thought was the coolest ever but this actually beats that experience.

Oh, and there's a pool. On the roof. You have to see it to believe it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

The staff are very nice, the rooms are lovely. The breakfast is very good. The bathrooms are cool. Avalon has a cool pool on the top floor connected to the penthouse-suite with a great view over Gothenburg city.

Right outside the hotel are shops, a shopping mall, bars, restaurants and bars. There is also public parking which costs 2 Swedish krone per hour (cheaper than hotel garage). I would also recommend the Mexican/Spanish restaurant: Tranquilo which is just opposite the hotel. The drinks are really good (try the Mango Moijito) and so is the paella (two to share).

Avalon is perfect. If you are American it is probably much smaller than hotels you are used to, but this is what European hotels are like. You might find the rooms a bit small too. (We stayed in business-room). There are robes, Dove shampoo and shower soap, a minibar, blow dryer, vanity kit and towels in room. Also a shower and a bathtub.

Stay here if you want a clean, nice designhotel in a central location. A great hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

Stayed there once, quite pricy but its top end , was in their suite that was massive with all mod-cons. Cant beat the location,

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
west london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

I have just booked a 4 day break at this hotel and they took the WHOLE amount immediately. I have NEVER had this happen at hotels befor eand am very unhappy. The hotel couldn't give a damn and were very offhand saying it is clear in the booking forms. I STILL can't find it!!
BEWARE!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

This was my second stay at First Hotel Avalon and I was very happy to be back. The hotel is totally unique and there is no other hotel in Sweden that can match the standard and the quality of a true design hotel.

I love the rooms with big beds (I have always stayed in better categories of rooms) and with excellent linen and special touches. The rooms are cool with quantity of amenities such as designer shoe horn, DVD-player with films to use free of charge, glasses, hangers and slippers in different sizes - perfect! You really feel that this room is equipped and made specially for me. However - sometimes I don't think the architect really know how to use the space. For example the room entrance is so small so I couldn't fit in my bag together with my self in same time and also the floor is to cold! It's italian marmor but a shame to have in cold Swedish nature! I love to take a bath but I failed (also my last time) because I can't get it to plug the hole for fill the tube and last time I asked them to do and they couldn't not really help me. In my opinion - it should be switched to the classic style bathtubs.

I like the breakfast buffet - it's so nice and really great! You miss nothing. We tried the restaurant and it was ok, I have experienced more well done food and got better service in other not so expensive places in Sweden. However it's a lively place with nice atmosphere and with huge windows to see the street life.

The corridors and the public areas needs to be mentioned. It's the best corridors I ever experience with a special rug on side which create the feeling of walking on grass - amazing. The lobby is also splendid (but really small) with art from Picasso as well as nice mosaics.

I frequently travel to Gothenburg and usually stay at First Hotel G, which still is the first class hotel where you get most value for money, but I'm happy that they now became sisterhotels, in that way First Hotels got the best hotels in Gothenburg (an you can collect airline miles and be a part of their loyalty programme)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Avalon Hotel? Share your experiences!