“Beware of Theives!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 66 Hotels in Gothenburg
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Beware of Theives!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed at Arena Hotel 3 weeks ago. After coming back from work one day I found my brand new laptop and charger missing from my LOCKED room (which did not have a safe). After looking through my room for over an hour I reported the problem to reception, who assured me that the cleaners were not theives and I must have misplaced it. I insisted that the girl on reception contact the manager, she said she would. The next day I spoke to the same girl who said that she had spoken to the cleaners only and none of them had stolen it. I asked again for her to contact the manager but she claimed she only had an office number for them and no direct number, but would leave a message. She also admitted that there were NO CAMERAS in the halls or indeed anywhere. This continued for the rest of my stay, with different excuses as to why the manager could not be contacted. After my stay I proceeded to call the hotel most days. They eventually told me that I might be able to find the manager at their other hotel 'comfort hotel city centre', where the girl at recepion insisted that she would call the manager regarding the issue and that I would receive a phonecall in the next 24 hours. I did not. I continued to call hotel arena and left my number on several occassons (as they "can not give you the managers number").

I am extremely disappointed with the situation and the disgusting way in which it was handled. With the lack of cameras and the way in which the manager was able to be constatly covered by their staff, I think it would be naive of me to think that this was a one off. Don't stay here if you value your belongings. Awful, clueless management. Three weeks on and I still haven't been able to contact the manager. No apology. No respect for the customer.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Tver, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2014

The hotel is probably re-designed from a series of apartments in a regular residential building. Rooms are small but clean, interior design is not bad. Driving from the hotel to the E20 route to Stockholm is just a matter of a single turn, no jams even in the morning rush hours. Room service was daily but very superficial. WiFi Internet worked at 20 Mbps with no interruptions.

Overall opinion: a desent business hotel. Could be cheaper.

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Aberdeen, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

Had a one day layover in Gothenburg and wanted to find reasonable accommodations. I was very pleased with the Arena. I had trouble finding it, the entrance is hard to see from the main road. Once you get inside, you wonder what the hotel was prior to being a hotel, its lobby layout doesn't feel like a hotel. My 3rd floor room was very nice, clean, roomy, newly updated and stylish ~ the largest bathroom I had in a European Hotel! And if you are a late night snacker, they have orange juice, water, tea, waffles available at all times in the room next to the front desk. The staff was very friendly, very helpful finding a restaurant (calling around to see how late restaurants were open) then calling a taxi for me. Initially I had doubts about staying at this location, upon arrival my doubts were soon eased. I recommend staying here if you are considering it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

I stayed for six nights at arena and was a very nice stay! Simple but great breakfast very clean room very helpful and very nice staff! I needed to go to another city and I left my stuff in the hotel for 3 days till I came back and I needed a clinic and they helped me with that I also asked for late checkout on the last day before I go to the airport and they agreed !!! It's very close to everything, tram station is 2 minutes walk also central station is 10 minutes walk! Room is small but very convenient! And clean It was a very nice stay at arena and I highly recommend it!

Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Ronneby, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2014

Don't expect a luxury hotel in any way, but considered the price I paid I got a lot of luxury. Never mind the entrance - once inside it gets a lot better. Rooms were clean and fresh. Seems to have been renovated recently. Breakfast was "just enough" - nothing extra but nothing lacked either. The hotel is also situated fairly good with the avenue within 10-15 min walk and with the Ullevi arena within 5 min. Parking available on the hotel inner garden against a fee (150 kr/guest night) which is a bargain considered the price at the street. A couple of thing to notice however. Rooms lacks AC so sleeping with the window a bit open is the only option. Rooms are a bit small but not so it matters unless you plan to have any kind of pre-party before hitting the town. Only one key card/room is available which might cause a problem if you plan to operate individually - the keycard also operates the main electrical switch so...No drinking glasses in the room and if you need art on the walls to get a cosy "at home feeling" this is the wrong hotel. Only thing on the wall here is a TV with locked settings that will drive any cineast crazy. And for some reason - there is NO lights in the corridors! Only a tiny LED above the doors to the rooms lighting up the room number - not enough to guide you in the dark.

Room Tip: Higher floors seems to have newly renovated rooms. Higher in this case is from floor 4 (confirmed. F...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2014

I went in goteborg at the end of august, and I stayed in this hotel. It's a little hotel situated not so far from the centre of the city, you can go there by tram(stop near the hotel) or on foot. The hotel is clean and also the room. Really simple room with eveything that u need. In the morning for breakfast you can find a different choice from sweet to salt. The staff can always help you for any problems; they give you a card for the entrance to the hotel so you can return whenever you want. Really good hotel :)

Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Is not the best and the cleaning is very bad , but has reasonable price and also is located in a good spot, very close to town, few step away from tram, and close to attraction( liseberg ).

I will say for a short trip is ok ,but is convenient to buy when is offer out.

Stayed October 2013

Been to Arena Hotel? Share your experiences!