“Basic, but ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 65 hotels in Gothenburg
Leiden, The Netherlands
“Basic, but ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I've stayed in Lorensberg hotel for 3 nights, during a conference. The hotel was ok, but not more than that. I booked a room for 1 person, which turned out to be a narrow room with a desk, small tv and a small bathroom.It was convienient for the time I spend there, but that was only for sleeping. The breakfast was very nice with different kinds of bread, juice warm and cold food. The breakfast room was very light, and they had also a garden where I ate my breakfast because the weather was excellent.
The hotel is very near the big conference hall, and also the busstop for the airport bus is just a 5 min walk. The city center is a bit further away, but within 15 min walk.
The hotel staff was very friendly, I had problems with opening the door of my room (the card was not recognized) and they came with me to check everything, and offered another room if the problem would come back (which didn't occure).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Rosh ha'ayin,Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

I have spent 5 night in this charming hotel. location is excelent, very clean rooms, family staff. The only con. is that rooms are small but it didnot a problem for 1 people. mini bar was free and there were coffee and cookies all day at the nice lobby.
I recommend this hotel very much - a good deal for the price

Room Tip: ask for a high floor room with view to city
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Huntington, VT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

We booked a family room w/ king bed and single bed. It was just the right size for the three of us and it wouldn't be comfortable to add a roll away or cot on top. We found the beds comfortable and the room (facing the interior courtyard) to be quiet. The room was rather warm (a/c in Scandinavian hotels is a rarity). However, we were able to sleep comfortably enough after requesting a large floor fan. Though the same breakfast is served every morning, the choices are extensive enough that it doesn't get too boring. Soft or hard cooked eggs, breads, cheeses, meats, oatmeal (yum!), yogurts, granola, cold cereals, dried fruits, fresh fruits, good cocoa and coffee, and juices. The lobby always has coffee or tea available w/ a baked good. Nice for a snack if you don't feel like venturing out. One time we also purchased a sandwich from the front desk for our teen who needed refueling -- quite nice. We enjoyed the location and found most of the destinations to be within walking distance. It's very close to the the art museum. There were sufficient eateries in the area, though pricey for our budget. We found the English speaking staff to be helpful and friendly. The toiletries provided are spare, but a full array of mini bottles is not the highest priority for me. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The shower spacious -- though I don't know why the shower stall is on the same level as the bathroom floor. I put a towel on the floor to minimize water flow.
We also asked for a room w/ refrigerator and we did buy some snacks at a local grocery to avoid having to eat out every time we got hungry. (W/ a teen son, we would have gone bankrupt) All in all, good location, generous breakfast, comfortable beds.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

On the positive side centrally located and a block and half from convention centre. Also friendly reception staff all of whom speak English. The breakfast is very reasonable and a good variety of dishes.

The negatives - the room as a single was extremely small. Bathroom tiny with no bath or formal shower cubicle. The tv failed to work throughout my stay. Also faced onto the main road which was incredibly noisy on a saturday night due to two bars opposite. The curtains also did not shut completely.
If you're looking for a relatively close 2/3 star hotel ( definitely not 4 star as the hotel claims) near conference for business then consider.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Lexington, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Lorensberg last week while attending a conference at the Swedish Exhibition & Congress Centre. It was one of the least expensive options but I'm sure it was nicer than many of the pricier hotels. I reserved a double room after reading that some of the singles were pretty small. My room had plenty of space and included a double bed, a desk, a table and chair, an ample closet, and a bathroom. It was spotless and had up-to-date furnishings. The bed was very comfortable. The TV has several English language channels -- I found some BBC shows as well as some current American shows.

The hotel has a very cheery feel with pictures of flowers painted on the walls in the hallway. The breakfast was quite good and had a variety of items to suit different tastes. I loved having cakes/cookies and coffee available in the lobby -- fruit too! The hotel staff were quite friendly, and there was free wi-fi. (They recently changed the system so that access now lasts for 24 hours and after that you just have to click to renew.)

The hotel is just a 5-10 minute walk to the Congress Center. It's also just a block and a half away from the "Avenyn" -- Gothenburg's main shopping/dining street. Nearby are several good restaurants and a couple of grocery stores. Just a few doors away is a very nice chocolate shop (Berzelii Chocolates) for your chocolate fix or for gifts. And the airport bus stop is also just 5-10 minutes away, outside the Congress Center -- I definitely recommend the bus for getting to and from the airport.

I would happily stay at this hotel if I ever find myself in Gothenburg again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
malacca, malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

We stayed at this hotel early September 2010 for a conference at the Svenska Massan, which is about a 5 minute walk away from the hotel. The hotel is at the best possible location in Gothenburg, not smack in the city center (Avenyn, to be exact), but hidden just outside it... so in a short walk, you can get to the conference venue as well as the Avenyn. This way, you can avoid the hustle and bustle of the city center, especially the drunken clubbers in the middle of a Saturday night.
The breakfast is continental, (high fibre, I suppose) and excellent! The presentation was good and adequate top-ups available at all times. The breakfast starts at 6.30 am, but I need to make a special mention on Johann, who went out of his way to get us an early breakfast at 6.00 am, so that we could catch an early train. There is cake and coffee at all times at the lobby, and we found that to be a good change from the usual coffee-in-your-room-hotel. After a long day out, it was nice to come back and have a leisurely coffee or ice water free-flow at the lobby with some cake. (Believe me, you would rather have the water at the hotel and fill up a container full of it when you go out, as mineral water -small bottle costs a whopping 20SEK in Sweden.... I think it is atrocious!)
The hotel also provides laundry Mon-Fri, but it is not free. Again, a special mention needs to be made of a particular staff, Johanna, who allowed us to use the tumble dryer ourselves on a Saturday with supervision by herself.
The rooms were ok sized, and the bathroom was good. The flooring was wooden and there were enough hangers for all our clothing, as well as a TV with about 20 channels, mostly in English.
Internet- free wi-fi, but need to renew password every 6 hours, I think since it was free, that is acceptable.
The extensive tram system in Gothenburg is worthy of mention. I have traveled to many large cities in the world, but I think the tram services in this city is one of the best and most user friendly I have encountered. The hotel is easily accessible through the trams at three corners of the hotel. There is an abundance of restaurants around the vicinity, but be warned, they are expensive (as are most restaurants in Gothenburg)
All in all, a very nice stay indeed. Highly recommended to anyone who likes a simple city hotel and not extreme luxury.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with a group for a conference - and it was just like coming home every night - but even better because I didn't have to cook or clean! Every single staffmember went above and beyond to make my stay in Gothenburg the best it could be. From recommending great restaurants, changing the towels, to serving coffee and treats every afternoon in the hotel lobby, the service was fabulous! The location was perfect, close enough to the convention center that I could swing by to drop shopping off or grab a sweater throughout the day. The only downside for someone may be if they are expecting a hotel room the size of American hotel rooms. These are smaller, but I never felt cramped for space. The historic charm and great continental breakfast were icing on the cake - I can't say enough good things about this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Lorensberg? Share your experiences!