“excellent hotel in nice buildng and good location” 5 of 5 stars

Novotel Goteborg
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Klippan 1, Gothenburg 414 51, Sweden   |
Ranked #11 of 65 hotels in Gothenburg
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“excellent hotel in nice buildng and good location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

we stayed 4 nights and where very happy with everything in and from the hotel ; excellent staff and very helpfull & kind bar staff ; good breakfast

nice room with a view ; with the windows at a small opening the ferrys where heard able which some times (at night ) obliged to close the windows

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I was born in Göteborg (Gothenburg) but have lived more than 20 years in California. So for me, visiting my birth place is always an event of mixed emotions. This time, for the first time, my wife and I had to stay in a hotel after my mother moved to a nursing home ('äldreboende' in Swedish). I chose the Novotel for its location by the waterfront, and because it has free parking and Wi-Fi - I'm not a great fan of Novotel's often average and a bit soulless properties but this one is really nice. Set in a building that used to be a brewery, in an area that was pretty run down (Goteborg is an old port city that sported world class ship building wharfs until all that moved to Asia 20-25 years ago), this is now a nice area for walking or biking along the harbor front and enjoying various bars and restaurants. Some say this is on the "outskirts of Goteborg" - sure, it is not on walking distance from downtown, but it is hardly in a suburb either. You're about 10-15 minutes from the city center by car (just be aware the new road toll system that was just introduced - when you thought driving was tough enough in Goteborg, they just hit you with another tax again!).

Public transport is so plentiful that you will have all reason to avoid the overpriced taxis.

Back to the hotel: The rooms are fine, pretty Scandinavian minimalist styling but comfortable, relatively large but somewhat dated bathrooms (no individual soaps or shampoo - always the dreaded "Push Here" plastic bottles affixed to the walls that is so common all over Europe, not just Novotel). There is free Wi-Fi (I had no problems) and a fridge with a couple of complimentary Ramlösa mineral water bottles (favor extended once only). A small desk, a Philips LCD TV (16 channels only - no CNBC - and 4 radio channels). There is no aircon with thermostat, and the windows can be opened only about 2 inches (heat waves are very rare, luckily). Everything is spotlessly clean. Solid Scandinavian buffet breakfast - not lavish, but certainly very robust. The receptionists are both cute (sorry, but I mean it) and efficient - genuinely nice and service minded. Free parking - ample.

So, if you're headed to Göteborg and not looking for a budget hotel, whether you're a business traveler or leisure seeker, the Novotel Göteborg is a good choice. I won't hesitate coming back.

Room Tip: the higher the better and ask not to be put in front of the brick building that otherwise blocks the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Helsinge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Big surprise as how nice the hotel was. Super cleans and comfy rooms and nice view. And the 2 blond Young Ladies in the reception walked the extra mile to help us. Highly recommendable!!! Lots of parking spots for free. Breakfast is nothing to write home about but there is plenty. Get up early if you want a seat near the windows.

• Stayed August 2013
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I used this hotel as a base for my recent visit to the Way Out Festival. The hotel has a nice location on the water, but my room has zero view and overlooked a brick wall. The rooms are really comfortable with a hair dryer, tea making facilities and a safe. The beds are uber comfy so I has a really good nights sleep. Breakfast was included in my room rate and it was really delicious. The Swedish know how to provide good breads and cheeses, so this set me up for the day. The hotel seemed very family friendly with lots of children running around with plenty to do.
Free wifi - hurrah! The staff are also very helpful and efficient.

Room Tip: Ask for a hotel overlooking the water. If you have a room overlooking the wall - ask to change!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is a boutique type modern hotel sitting on the river on the outskirts of the City. You would need a hire car but It has its own free car park which is handy. The rooms are modern and perfect for a couple away for a city break. Free wifi and the bathroom has everything you'll need. There is a buffet breakfast included which was really good. Every type of cold breakfast and hot choices too. Great start to the day. I liked the restaurant at night, the food was good and the outlook on to the river through the big windows as the sun goes down is relaxing. Staff were friendly. We stayed here twice and enjoyed it. My only criticism is that at the entrance to the carpark and hotel there were several bins overflowing with rubbish and this made great pickings for the local birds who made a lovely mess on the pavement. It looked awful and if it were me in the hotel management I would be making sure each morning that was cleared up but it wasn't.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
J-Dellblad, General Manager at Novotel Goteborg, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your comments on your stay, I am glad you liked our hotel! We do have a lot of hungry birds in the area, as we are close to the sea. Together with our neighbours we are trying to keep the area clean, but from now on we will work harder!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here cause we wanted to go mountain-biking in Sweden. This air conditioned hotel on the outskirts of town and having its own parking area as advertised should have been a good choice. Well not for us! The room was like a freaking sauna! The windows could only be opened a tad. The bed was hard and uncomfy. The internet soooo slow with frequent outage or no internet with full wifi signal. what the fxck? We left the car on their parking lot overnight next to CC camera's with a Novotel parking permit. The second night some jerk decided to steal our mountainbikes using all force required. Of course the hotel can not be blaimed for this but it would have been so nice if somebody had warned us that we'd better leave our bikes inside due to active crime in this area. The manager felt genuinely sorry and would ask her technical manager to pull up the security footage and have us call us back?? So far zilch. Well it ruined our summer vacation!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
J-Dellblad, General Manager at Novotel Goteborg, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I am very sorry to hear that your mountain bikes where stolen when visiting us in Göteborg. I understand such an experience ruins the whole trip. My Front-Office Manager has been in contact with you regarding the surveillance cameras. If you consider visiting Sweden again you are more than welcome to us. We will give you a better time I can guarantee, but I cannot promise you Mediterranean weather!

Been to Novotel Goteborg? Share your experiences!