“Wonderful bed, free WiFi, not so modern rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Plaza

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel Plaza to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel Plaza
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Vastra Torggatan 2, Karlstad 65225, Sweden (Formerly Radisson SAS Plaza)   |
Ranked #2 of 18 hotels in Karlstad
“Wonderful bed, free WiFi, not so modern rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Let's begin with the pros:
- The lobby is very cozy
- The breakfast buffe is good (but there are better) but quite crowded
- Free WiFi
- Big, cozy beds with wonderful gigantic pillows
- Minifridge
- TV
- Access to jacuzzi and sauna

And now to the cons:
- The rooms wasn't very fresh
- The windows couldn't be opened (and the air in the room was terrible)
- The hairdryer was almost antique, it was glued into a drawer
- It was quite noisy because the room had the windows towards the restaurant
- There are so many people wanting to use the jacuzzi so there is a big queue for that. I think it would be better to be able to book it.

Would I stay here again? Well, yes if I could pay the price I did (large discount). But to the normal price? Probably not.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Helsingborg, Skane Lan, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

I was there for 1 night and the name mislead me, I hoped for a higher standard, but found a basic standard hotel.
When checking I ask for parking and they told me they had an arrangement with the parking house across the street, I should just drive up to the 5th floor and leave the ticket I received in the reception at the dashboard.
The room is a good size and the bed had nice comfort level. The bathroom was also a decent size but as the rest of the room it was in need of an update. The staff was okay friendly, just lacking a bit in the service area. I eat at the restaurant in the hotel and ordered a steak well done, but it came medium rare instead.
The breakfast buffet was okay with a wide range to choose from.. But the staff couldn't keep up and tables was not cleared and cleaned very fast.
When I picked up my car from parking house I had recieved a parking fee ticket, so I went back to the reception and asked them to explain why, then they told me I had not parked in the special hotel spots, but since they had not informed me about this and since there are no signs in the parking house explaining this, it's really hard to know.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Oslo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We chose it due to the highest Choice hotel certification. Even we just had an overnight stay on our way to Gävle, we will never stay there again. Imagine, a room with an awful bar chair arrangement instead of a simple desk & chair; a "paper on the wall" instead of a wall picture; the "construction" placed under the ceiling is for heating or air conditon; a "funny chaiselogne" instead of a couch; 100% smoke free room where the rest of the cigarettes were covering the roof outside the window; no wonder the entire room smelled smoky. The lobby was furnished with modern art furnitures (obviously, the management must have got it for free) - the wing chair my wife tried to use needed badly repair. The breakfast was alright but do not expect any ecological surprises. In regard of parking, follow the advice of the flower shop owner (use the parking house across the main road instead of the parking house across the hotel main entrance, it`ll just cost you 60 kronors instead of 160). Sorry, Clarion you need to improve. On our way back we stayed at the Elite Stadshotellet, a truly 4 star hotel at a 3 star rate!

Room Tip: Sorry for my advice, but do find another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Stayed here two nights in 2010, when Holland beat Uruguay in the semi final of the World Cup. We did not like the first room we were given. It was in front of the busy road, and furthermore there was still a spare bed folded up in the room. The room we moved to was at the end of the corridor overlooking the breakfast area/inner court on. In the bathromm there was a window looking out at the space at the side of the hotel. It was a quiet room so we could have a good nights sleep. That always is the bottom line for me, being able to sleep without disturbances. The room was big, the sort of room you find with people that have too many rooms in their house. Old, but still with a feeling of comfort that goes back some time. Hotel was okay all in all. Breakfast adequate, staff helpful and friendly. Park house just over the road. Good enough for a night or two.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Hamar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed in room 210 for two nights. The room is right above the hotel's entrance and facing the intersection Hamngatan/Västra Torggatan. My friend is a heavy sleeper and slept well. Me, on the other hand, was bothered by traffic noise on Sunday morning. (It was a rainy day, which made the noise worse.)

The bathroom was fine, except from the ventilation valve up on the wall. Obviously, it hadn't been cleaned for at least a couple of years, and made a quite disgusting detail. I expect more from a plaza hotel. We only payed SEK1275,- for two nights, breakfast included, so I guess we got value for money overall.

The room was fine enough and the beds comfortable.
The hotel's reception area was quite nice and the breakfast too.
Parking house (not free) right outside the hotel's entrance.
Location (except from traffic) is good, right in the middle of town centre and right across the street from the train station.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, make sure you book a more quiet room than 210/rooms facing Hamngatan...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Hollabrunn, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

We planned to stay 5 nights and have ordered well in advance - we received two rooms with no day light with the view to dirty breakfest tables.
After intervention we could change one of the rooms - not even better. As the buses stop there with people just stying overnight they start their airconditioning about 6 am infront of your window....The rooms were not cleaned, when arriving the toilett was completely dirty and we had to call for service which finally arrived 30 minutes later. Breakfest was a disaster - when the bus tourists took everything for their tour - nothing remainded for guests coming later. Service Staff was not able to keep the breakfest tables clean. Asking for napkins - service did not what to understand or did not understand what they have to do, etc. etc.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

At first I want to thank the director Martin Samuelsson and his staff for the hospitality, shown during our stay in the Clarion Hotel Plaza in Karlstad.
Tonight my wife and myself enjoyed a fantastic diner during the last evening we stay in Sweden: this was a perfect example of a very positive memory.
The room we stay in at this moment, the dinner, the service of the staff, every detail will contribute to the recommendation I'll give to everybody who plans to visit Karlstad in Sweden, the beautiful country we have spent three weeks travelling in!
Verien Slippens & Donald Uhrlep

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarion Hotel Plaza? Share your experiences!