“Basic hotel for a short trip to Karlstad” 3 of 5 stars

Scandic Winn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Norra Strandgatan 9 - 11, Karlstad 652 24, Sweden   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Karlstad
Dortmund, Germany
“Basic hotel for a short trip to Karlstad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

When we arrived at the hotel, we used the little parking area just across the street, which was not very expensive compared to the fees in other Swedish cities.
The staff was friendly, although we had to change our room because of the ventilatory noise, which is a well-known problem there.
The room and the bathroom were of medium size and very clean.
Our breakfast was delicious.
Unfortunately, the elevator did not always work with our room card.

As we only stayed for one night, we did not use the fitness room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the ventilatory.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lund, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I'm not sure who this hotel appeals to. It certainly isn't romantic and isn't really up the standard for a business grade hotel. Breakfast is filling, but basic. The competition (Elite Hotels) has raised the bar, and Scandic needs to lift their game.

Although the lobby area is OK, the guts of the hotel just feel old. The hallways have mismatched tiles, the rooms, although clean, are old (see pictures) and feel like you are stepping back into a hotel from the 1980's. Bathroom lighting is poor. The wall-attached hair dryer didn't work and buzzed all the time, but instead of fixing it, hotel management just left an extra hairdryer in the closet. TV was absolutely ancient and the remote control had seen better days (see photo). Power cable for the trouser press was humorously long. Internet worked, but was not fast enough to handle streaming video.

And please, hotels, if you want to save money, use two dispensers for shampoo and soap. combined Hair & body gel is just crap - it's bad soap and it's bad shampoo. And the hangers... Is hanger theft really such a problem that you need to annoy your guests with the anti-theft hangers? Please, just 5 SEK to my room bill and give me a real hanger that I don't need to fight with.

Good location though. Lots of free street parking in the area and there is a big public lot across the street (although it was filled when I arrived at 7pm).

Room Tip: Ask what type of room you are getting... The room I received did not look at all like any of the pic...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Freindly staff, clean rooms, basic and pleasant.
The rooms are out of IKEA, but are clean and quiet. There is a small fitness room, but it is also clean and has the basics for a decent workout. There is also great running right outside the door, as there is in all of Karlstad. Breakfast is good and more than basic. There is also a restaurant and pub. The pub is nice. Didn't try the restuarant.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room. There are views to an internal courtyard, but do not let a lot of sun in mo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Booked this hotel based on tripadvisor's reviews and it turned out to be a really nice hotel. We arrived in the "city of sunshine" in the rain so we stayed in. There's a pay parking lot right across from the hotel so we put in enough coin to last till 10am the next morning.

When we checked in to our two rooms, one for our 3 kids and one for us, we were told that there's a mini fridge in our room, not the kids', and there are complimentary snack and drinks for us. We did not find the mini bar so we inquired about it at the front desk. We were told that it was removed from our room because they ran out so I suggested that maybe they could put together a complimentary basket to replace it. The front desk clerk agreed that she could definitely put one together and we could pick it up after our coffee and dessert at the bar.

The bartender did not appear to be happy to see us showing up at 9:30 when the bar closes at 10. My husband told him we'd be having coffee and desserts so he was quite abrupt with my daughter when she asked to see the food menu. "You don't need a menu for dessert". When he brought me a strawberries with vanilla ice cream, I received 6 half pieces of strawberries for 60 or 80 sek. 3 whole strawberries!!!! The bartender was quite concerned when he found out that my husband was allergic to the sprinkles on the chocolate cake he brought so he brought my husband the same dessert I had and he had almost double the amount of berries. Inconsistent in their food quality.

The rooms were interesting, very Ikea and sparse. My children's room has 2 twins and 2 built in murphy beds and the room was quite small so it was quite jammed once one of the beds was pulled down. Our room was huge in comparison, with 2 twins and a sofa. The bathroom has a shower that's walled off to one side without door/curtain. One thing they have is a wall mounted soap dispenser (shampoo/body gel) in the shower and they don't provide anything else so ladies, bring your own hair conditioner and soap as some of these pumps can be very perfumed. Face clothes is a luxury here, most hotels don't provide them. The beds are extremely comfortable but the pillows are quite small.

The breakfast next morning was very good. I can't eat a lot for breakfast but I can appreciate the spread for those who can.

This hotel doesn't look like much, no flash, on the outside, but it's a solid place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Fredrikstad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

My family stayed there for 2 nights. We enjoyed our stay there, the room was clean and nice.
We liked the food for breakfast and also the food in the restaurant was tasteful.
Everyone who worked there was service minded and helpful. Internet was a little bit slow sometimes but mostly it was fine. we would like to go back there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Uppland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed here for two nights during a conference. I felt very welcome when I arrived and I could have my room immediately even though I arrived early. The room had a very stylish decor, and the only thing missing was a fridge. The location is very good close to the city centre and to the river.
Breakfast was excellent and and I enjoyed my stay very much.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

The rooms are simple and basic as the Scandics are known to be. The bathroom had a slightly musty smell, but otherwise things in the room were fine. The location is great, right in town. There is a street/square with a lot of restaurants just a couple of blocks away. The breakfast was excellent and well stocked despite being very busy. The staff is very good, with the exception of a wake-up call placed with the front desk that never occurred. Scandic is very "green" and I'm fine with the recycling, lack of shampoo/conditioner bottles and even the lack of air conditioning, but I do with they had bars of soap. The wireless Internet was flawless.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Scandic Winn? Share your experiences!