“A cell like room with poor breakfast and minimal staffing.” 2 of 5 stars

Hotell Fyrislund
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Fyrislundsgatan 81, Uppsala 754 50, Sweden   |
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Uppsala
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“A cell like room with poor breakfast and minimal staffing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

We wanted an overnight stay to experience a bit of Uppsala on our journey home. We arrived at three in the afternoon and the staff were just leaving. We took some bags to our room and went to collect the rest of the luggage and on our return the keycard did not work, so we wasted over an hour calling out security to let us in. We were not the only ones to be affected by this absence of staff as two Portuguese ladies could not even get in to the lobby, let alone locate their room.
The room was the smallest we have ever experienced, with a sloping ceiling and floor space just about large enough for the bed.
Breakfast was poor. The few staff that appeared seemed disinterested and unmotivated. We never got an apology for the key problem. We suggest you find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Berga, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

My wife and me spent one night there after bringing her mother to the nearby Arlanda Airport.
The hotel is located in the outskirts of Uppsala next to industrial and trading area. Stores like Ikea, media Markt and Toys 'r us are just right in the view from the hotel rooms. The one we had was quite small with two single beds and shower. The beds were really comfortable a big plus for that. Free access to wifi is included as well as free parking and of course the breakfast buffet which was very delicious.
One important thing you gotta know and what happened to us: if you book a room in advance and you expect to arrive after 3 pm on a weekend its really necessary that you tell the hotel so they give you instructions because after 3 pm on weekends no one is working there and the hotel is closed. We didn't know that since it was not mentioned clearly on our booking confirmation. If that happens to you, call the security company whose number is written at the entrance of the hotel and they help you with accessing to the room.
Overall a good hotel with friendly staff.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was alone on a 10 day driving tour of Sweden and just needed somewhere cheap, clean and basic for one night. This hotel did the job.
It is on the outskirts of Uppsala, in a commercial area, so a car is necessary. Driving in to the city centre is not difficult and takes about 10 minutes.
I had a single room - it had a single bed and was small. Clean. Ensuite OK, but the shower did make most of the bathroom floor wet.
I was at the front of the building. View of a huge carpark (needless to say parking was no problem), dual carriageway and several commercial premises.
Dinner was included. I had a salad - it was substantial and fresh. Cooked meals are heated in a microwave - they looked less inviting. Breakfast was fine.
It took me a while to find the hotel. It shares the ground floor of the building it occupies with a Subway outlet and its signs are overwhelmed by the Subway advertising. Having said that, the building itself was really obvious - once I realised that's where the hotel was.

If you are the sort of person who can put up with a view of a car park on the outskirts of town for one night in order to have reasonably priced accommodation in expensive Sweden, this might be for you.
If you are a honeymoon couple, you might just want to shop around a bit more.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Jyvaskyla, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I just quickly visited in this hotel during my business trip in the town. Room was very small single room where was not much space to put your luggages on the floor. I had to jump over my bag. Free WiFi was positive but price vs. value for the money didn´t met in my ranking. They have just started major renovation outside of the building which caused some noise early in the morning. That was apologiesed by staff when I checked in. Free outdoor parking. Breakfast included in the price and it was normal scandinavian style full breakfast. If you need to stay just over night without any need to go to the city, this would be your hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

The hotel is on the edge of town. It took me about 40 minutes to walk there from Uppsala Central station. The check in staff were friendly and spoke good English (helpful as my Swedish vocabulary runs to about 10 words). Internet access was included. I had a single room which was rather small (5m x 2.25m including the en-suite shower room). There was a narrow desk, and space for a single bed across the width of the room. I was only there for a night, so it didn't matter. There was a rather odd room in the middle of the floor. It had some rather uncomfortable-looking sofas and a TV in a room which had no windows, but was the way between some of the rooms and the lift and stairs. The breakfast buffet was good - the hot food was hot.

I checked out in the morning, and then had finished my meeting by lunchtime. I went back and sat in the lobby, using their internet access.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

My trip to Uppsala was for a conference in town near the central station. Although this hotel is not in the town center, it is located on a bus line that dropped me off less than a block from the conference center. Together with the reasonable price (as most hotels were much higher rates than usual due to the presence of the conference) this fact prompted me to choose this hotel.

Positive features about this hotel include the very pleasant staff, the on-site restaurant which served a very nice buffet breakfast of hot and cold foods (included in the room price) as well and lunch and dinner and bar afterwards, and overall cleanliness. Wifi is free (you get a code from reception) and there's also a PC with web connection available for common use in the lobby. I'd expected free laundry facilities, but in fact you have to hand over your laundry to be done by the hotel staff for a fee, so I didn't use it. There is an ironing room. Although small, the beds are comfortable and the linens soft. Plenty of hot water for showers.

Negatives include the small room size (even though mine was a double with two twin beds, I'd have been hard-pressed to share it with anybody, and I'm not a particularly big person myself; this room was small relative to Japanese budget hotel rooms, frankly) and awkward bathroom that featured a very small sink and a shower with a motion-activated feature: do a little dance to turn it on, and then stay very still if you'd rather it stay off for any reason. No phones in the rooms, so if you need something from the front desk you have to go downstairs and fetch it in person.

In spite of the various negatives I describe, my stay at this hotel was pleasant, and I gather from talking to colleagues at the conference that my experience was the norm, and that I could have spent a great deal more money for a similarly tiny and possibly not nearly so nice room. So, all in all it worked out.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

Not close to city-center and unpleasant showers, but a great reception-staff, good beds, restaurant for frukost/lunch/dinner, good access to public transport, free wi-fi!

Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotell Fyrislund? Share your experiences!