“Eat here ever time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Operakallarens bakficka

Operakallarens bakficka
Jakobs Torg 10, Stockholm, Sweden (Norrmalm)
08-6765809
Neighborhood: Norrmalm
Phoenix, Arizona
“Eat here ever time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Love the food. Fresh herring and best meatballs and mashed potatoes in town. Reasonably priced and great location

Visited August 2012

“Excellent food, slow service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

On our final night in Stockholm we treated ourselves to a traditional Swedish meal. We shared the crayfish toast, I had the gravlax with dill creamed potatoes and my husband had meatballs with lingonberries. All were delicious and well-prepared and presented. However, there was a very long wait between the appetizer and the main course being served (at least 40 minutes). Fortunately we were on the terrace and enjoyed the view, the fresh air and the passersby attending Stockholm Fashion Week. Service was rather chilly but this seems to be the norm in Stockholm. For a more casual traditional meal, this is a good pick.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stockholm, Sweden
“restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

a very nice way to have a meal in a theatrical atmosphere, more French than Swedish. it is small and cosy with good food. Often crowdy. The same building as the Opera. Not so expensive

Visited August 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Best meatballs in the world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I ate at Operakallarens bakficka for lunch on our first day in Stockholm. We both ordered the Swedish meatballs with the mashed potatoes. The meatballs were by far the best we've ever had (sorry grandma.) We loved our lunch so much, we decided to go back one more time for more meatballs before our flight back to Chicago. Service was great too! Highly recommended!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne
“Surprisingly great meatballs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I wondered how good meatballs could be. How could Swedish meatballs be different from the rest of the world? Having read Bakfickan was the place to try them tempted me and I'm glad I did.

I don't eat meatballs regularly. In fact this is the only Swedish type I have had. But they are very different to the usual. The meat is delicate and almost creamy in texture. I'm not sure how they do it - I can only assume the meat is minced so finely the grain and texture becomes smooth. The berries and pickled cucumber that come with it provides great contrast.

The complementary bread is tasty too, if that matters to you. Price is decent compared to what is around here.

Try the meatballs here - what else can I say...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere