“Live music every night!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Engelen

Engelen
Kornhamnstorg 59 b, Stockholm, Sweden (Södermalm)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,282 of 1,967 restaurants in Stockholm
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Södermalm
Plymouth
“Live music every night!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Great place to go on a Wednesday night! I have been here 6 or 7 times and always have a wild time!

Visited January 2012

65% Recommend
Hereford
“looks like a tourist trap does nt act like one”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

This pub, restaurant and club is in a very prominant position on the outer edge of Gamla Stan - if you come from Slussen or Soldermalm, or along from the waterfront in that area you cant miss the place - it looks like a traditional British pub with its exterior decor and flowers.

I had during my visit passed Engelen many times and at first glance one would assume its a tourist trap given the 'traditional' Swedish dress worn by the staff - the female staff really stand out, and with the large outdoor seating area. As it was always busy, we decided we'd have a drink in the shade there so sat on the side street with a view up towards Jarntorget.

A glass of dry white wine was SK69 or £6.90, a bottle of Mariestad, a Swedish beer SK65 or £6.50, so the 'going rate' in Stockholm abd this kind of area! We did nt eat, but the food coming out to adjoining tables looked appetising.

Inside is deceptively large once you venture past the small front bar, with three public levels - I understand the is also a club and has live music.

Our server was friendly, and much to my girlfriends relief when her glass of wine got knocked over, he replaced it with no question, even though it was nt his fault - a gesture much appreciated on a hot day and our funds depleted from a great time in Stockholm!

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Mostly for 40+ people”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Probably ok place for the more mature audience, 40+. Great live music.

Visited July 2011
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent restaurant somewhat hidden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Remembering my youth years in Sweden I wanted to treat my girlfriend a 'Plankstek', which is a visually pleasing steak with mash potatoes and bearnaisse sauce all nicely decorated. This proved to be difficult and I had to ask a bartender in a pub and he pointed me to this gem which we would not have found otherwise.

The service was good, and we did not mind the wait at all sitting outside enjoying a cold one in the sun.

• Visited August 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“If only the service was as good as the food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

The Engelen looked like a traditional British pub from the outside. The menu looked good value and offered a wide range of European and Swedish food. On the evening we eat there they were very busy, but that wasn’t really an excuse for bad service.
Initially the service wasn’t too bad. We ordered drinks and they came and we ordered food.
Swedish restaurants all bring bread and butter and water to the table; not at the Engelen.
Eventually the steaks appeared served by someone who appeared to be kitchen rather than waiting staff. The food was really good – well presented and plenty of it. But the guy who brought it went quicker than he came and there was no offer of mustard, ketchup or other sauces.
In the time we had waited I had more or less finished my beer. Eventually I managed to attract a waiter’s attention and ordered another drink. And then I waited, and waited, and waited and no staff came near the table. Yes the place was very busy but that wasn’t the problem – most of the staff were just talking to each other and completely ignoring the customers.
Eventually I managed to finish my meal without any drink and eventually someone came to collect the plates. At the point I complained about the missing drink. I barely got a “sorry”. Now at that stage if they had admitted their mistake and perhaps offered to get me something immediately or better still a complimentary drink that would have been fine – but a “grunt” – I don’t think so.
I paid as quickly as I could – no tip – and left.
And we were not the only ones waiting on drinks … and food.
We would have quite happily spent the evening in there and had several drinks, deserts, etc – so they probably lost SEK 500-1000 (GBP 50-100) worth of business plus tips and had a very unhappy customer.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere