“Cozy atmosphere, brilliant food and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Den Gyldene Freden

Den Gyldene Freden
Osterlanggatan 51, Stockholm 10131, Sweden (Södermalm)
08-249760
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #74 of 1,969 restaurants in Stockholm
Cuisines: Swedish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Södermalm
Description: At Den Gyldene Freden we have served authentic Nordic home cooking since the opening in 1722. Famous cultural personalities, tourists and local regulars visit our historic facilities in Gamla Stan to enjoy the fine food and the genuine atmosphere - for everyday or special occasions. We, the people who work at Den Gyldene Freden are very proud of our heritage and passionate about refining classic courses into modern cooking. Our philosophy is based on the idea that one must make time to cook - and eat - fine food. We make room for international influences, but our base is the Nordic kitchen interpreted in our own personal manner, with great respect for flora and fauna.
Helsinki, Finland
“Cozy atmosphere, brilliant food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Den Gyldene Freden is situated in Gamla Stan in an old, idyllic building, and the atmosphere in the restaurant is warm and cozy. I was really impressed on the interior decoration of the restaurant.

Our party had reserved a table which was a good thing as the restaurant is very popular. The service was excellent from the start and the male waiter was truly dedicated to keep us satisfied. He was constantly pouring more water, wine, and making sure everything was alright.

I ate swedish meatballs and I have to say that they were the best meatballs I have ever tasted!

Highly recommend visiting this high-quality restaurant. At least I will go there again when I visit Stockholm.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Waterloo, Canada
“Expensive but unique experience....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had reserved a table for a Friday night and I can't say we were disappointed with the experience. We were seated in the first room off the main entry door and were seated at ages old tables and benches. Our waitress, who was extremely friendly, gave us some history of the place dated back 300 years. The food was great but I did find a couple of the items a tad salty. Desert was amazing and I rate the entire experience very highly; even with the expensive (900 Kr +) bill for an appetizer, two mains, one desert and a couple of drinks. But alas, this is Stockholm so don't expect bargain basement pricing....

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Nice place in Gamla Stan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Went based on a colleagues recommendation well worth it, will definately visit again. I would suggest a reservation

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“As frequent restaurant diners, we were at first impressed by the tasteful old world decor, but the staff were so spectacularly r”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Den glydene freden started out so well; the tasteful decor and impressive heritage, not to mention the Michelin recommendation left us thinking that we were in for a treat.

However, the staff were so obnoxious and unpleasant that we didn't even manage to eat any food before we felt compelled to leave.

I am allergic to most spices, a health problem which had left me unable to eat at Indian restaurants, but which has rarely caused any trouble at all in restaurants serving European food. I am used to managing my allergy, and know that some foods, such as sausages or poached fruit are off the menu. Normally when I explain this to staff in a restaurant, I find that people are attentive and helpful, and suggest alternatives if there is a sauce or a component that I cannot eat.

In this restaurant, when I explained that I had some allergies the waiter did not take me at all seriously, and it was obvious that he had not checked the food that I had ordered was appropriate, as I had asked him to do. When we bought this up a second time, he laughed in my face and told me that 'there was spice in everything.' As this was a typical Swedish restaurant I found this hard to believe. We asked him to verify what was in the sauces but he never returned. He was so unpleasant that I was left in tears, a situation which I found profoundly embarrassing.

The manager eventually came to talk to us, some 50 minutes after we arrived. At this point we had no idea if our food had even been ordered on account of the allergy issue. We tried to explain the situation to the manager, but rather than offering any kind of explanation or apology he instantly became very aggressive and we decided to leave.

With hindsight there were a number of bad signs before we had even sat down - the manager who was later so rude suggested that we put our coats in the cloakroom when we arrived. He did not offer to help us, and we had to wade through rows of other peoples possessions to hang them up. The restaurant no doubt relies on tourists who are unlikely to return if they have a good or bad experience, so they probably don't feel that they have to treat their clients well. Still, basic customer service would not go amiss.

The kindest thing I can possibly say is that perhaps there was some level of miscommunication - I know that in some languages the same word is used for 'spice' and 'seasoning'. Nonetheless, the many other Swedish restaurants that we visited understood my allergy perfectly well. At the very least they could have asked for clarification rather than being so nasty.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Connecticut, USA
“A Noble Prize Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

To begin with, if you've never been to Stockholm, I urge to visit -- in a warm month. We were there this September because we were embarking from there on the Seabourne Pride for a two-week cruise of the Baltic Sea. We had one evening in Stockholm and wanted an authentic Swedish experience. Den Gyldene Freden (The Golden Peace) is it.

Located off a cobblestone street in Old Town, Den Gyldene Freden is the oldest restaurant in Sweden, having been established in 1722. The rooms are cozy and warm on the main floor, where we were. Downstairs is a hub of activity in vaulted, brick-lined rooms, including the private Bellman room, where the Nobel Prize committee meets.

The food is typically Swedish (yes, there are yummy Swedish meatballs), prepared with slight French/contemporary twists. The local fish is excellent (one of us had the char -- outstanding). Our friend Steve had the duck breast, which he loved. There is game, some unusual and lovely vegetables, and interesting desserts.

This is the hangout for Swedish literati and cultural icons. The night we were there, a very serious group of young men next to us would break out into song from time to time, which was very enjoyable. We thought maybe they were part of some a capella group. When we asked our beautiful waitress, she replied that they were just aquavit singing toasts, and that the guys singing them were only average!

My husband, who is NEVER given to travel frivolity, suggested that we invite 10 friends to join us in Stockholm next year just so we could reserve the Bellman room!

• Visited September 2012