“Style over substance ..” 2 of 5 stars

Nordic Light Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vasaplan 7, Stockholm SE-101 37 , Sweden   |
Ranked #54 of 160 hotels in Stockholm
London, United Kingdom
“Style over substance ..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have stayed in in several Stockholm hotels over the years and as a member of the Design Hotel group scheme thought I would try this on my recent stay - never again.

It is interesting to read over reviews here and see the same problems I encountered - hand wash and shampoo needed refilling, room dirty, one coat hanger in the wardrobe and the 'mood lighting' colour couldn't be altered ( someone had also drawn a face on it with biro..)
When informed , the reception did send up staff however it felt since the previous occupant had left the only bed had been made up and that was all. My room was absolutely tiny and when I looked at the fire escape floor plan my room was indeed the smallest on the floor - a third of it being taken up by the fire exit stairs ! I asked to speak to the manager the next morning but was told no one would be there until Monday. How difficult would it have been to upgrade me to a slightly larger room ? The Design Hotel group should seriously reconsider having this hotel as part of its portfolio - it simply isn't up the standard expected.

Room Tip: The website gives dimensions for each room but without proper photographs and a floor plan they real...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
FredricSvanell, Night Manager at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Without more information I am not sure why you did not get to speak to a supervisor or manager on duty. I apologize for that!

Like almost any hotel we have of course several room categories varying in size and equipment depending on your needs/budget. We work very hard with both our own website and through our many booking partners to make sure that descriptions match the reality. Often we find that guests who have some issue with size/type of room are those who have booked through someone else and therefore may not be aware of what they are booking.

Mentioned above our different rooms have different equipment. Our “MOOD” rooms are the ones with the very popular option of ever changing lighting colours, or if you find a colour you like you can set it to that!
If housekeeping missed anything I apologize and hope it was resolved quickly, we all make mistakes, how we resolve them defines us. Our aim is to always try to turn a negative situation into a positive.

I hope you will visit us again and this time stay in one of our “MOOD” rooms with their changeable lighting and generous size beds! Should you find that you are again booked for a smaller room feel free to enquire if we have any special deals on an upgrade.
We will use your review to help us get better!

516 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I had a great experience at Nordic Light Hotel. The location cannot be beat. It is literally right outside the drop off from the Arlanda Express (which is by far the easiest method of airport/downtown transportation I have ever taken in any city I have travelled so far - it runs on time and leaves every 15 minutes or so). Back to the hotel - the hotel itself has a chic and modern lobby and the staff are very helpful. I checked in to my hotel with ease and had no issue throughout my stay. I stayed in the smallest room you can book since I was travelling solo and still had plenty of room for everything with some to spare. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean.

The hotel is located about a 10 minute walk from Gamla Stan (Old Town) and about 20 from Sodermalm (posh area for good city scapes and cocktails). I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and yes the smaller room is often an option which is appreciated by guests who either travel alone or plan on being busy in the city.
That you found it to be anyway spacious enough for you , clean and comfortable is exactly what we aim for!

Come and see us again soon!

nj
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Generally speaking we were OK with this hotel. the location is fine, right next to the high speed train from the airport and a short walk to the pedestrian mall. I longer walk to old town and public transportation to the museums but well within the radius of good. Our problem was the room was as small as the cabin on our cruise and the safe was really difficult to use,. this led to us leaving something in the safe (my bad) but when we called the hotel they claimed it was empty and had been checked. When we called again they said they could not check the safe because the room was rented. When we called a third time, this time with someone who spoke swedish the manager checked the safe and found the item., so it was not checked checked when we left, could have been checked the first time we called but we were blown off. Two lies, that is not service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Glad to hear the location suited you.

Although we would all like to be super human we are not, we make mistakes and for those we take responsibility. I would hope that this was a misunderstanding, we certainly are not in the business of lying to anyone. In Sweden there are strong laws relating to our ability to gain access to guests’ rooms during their stay so yes it can be tricky to check the safe directly if someone else has then checked into the room. I was happy to see you got back the items you left in your room safe.

Come back again and we will do our best to improve upon your perception of us.
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights in July on my business trip.
The hotel is very well situated, just few steps from Central station where Arlanda Express train from the Arlanda airport arrives. Besides, if you need subway to go around, the subway station is a minute away (and it is beautiful station, painted in blue). Old town is 10 minutes walk away, and actually all Stockholm main atractions can be reached on foot.
The economy room is very very small, but clean, and the bathroom is big enough. The beds are very comfortable, the windows can be open, not too much, but enough to have a fresh air in the room. It was a little bit noisy, because there were lots of work going on on the streets around the hotel. But if you close the window, you can sleep without any noise.
The staff was extremely helpful, and the breakfast was very good with lots of different food to choose from. The only bad thing is the price, which was 165eur/night, but everything in Stockholm is expensive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The smaller rooms like you say still have a good size bathroom and the beds comfortable. Perfect for the price if you anyway will be out and about in the city.
Our staff and our breakfast get a lot of positive feedback, we are glad to add you to that ever growing list.
Sorry that they did some road works outside during your stay. We unfortunately are not always informed ahead of time of such work.
Please come back again soon.

Uppsala, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed here for only one night, but it was the experience was very positive. This hotel is well-placed, close to Stockholm Central (not the most picturesque area of the city, mind) and good value for money. The staff were very helpful, the breakfast was good, and the bed was unbelievably comfortable. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review us.
We are glad that you enjoyed you short but sweet visit with us.
Feel free to stay a couple of days next time and we can give you some tips on what to see and do.

Caerwys, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Good points: good location right next to the Arlanda express terminal and city centre. Comfy bed.
Bad points: temperature control in rooms does not work and the dining room has no service whatsoever in the evening.
Minor points: the mood lighting was a bit naff in my room. No easy accessible electric sockets.
Annoying points: I was working on my computer in a corner room (June2013) which was getting quite warm, the air conditioner was on minimum but did not seem to do anything. When I phoned reception I was told it was an ultra modern system that is so quiet and efficient you don't notice it is working. Trouble is it was not working at all. I asked to try another room, which was cooler as not in direct sun. But again the magic air conditioner did not work. I was advised to open all my windows, which did work but was noisy due to city centre location.

In the evening I went to the dining area for dinner, there were no staff to seat you, so I sat down and waited, reading my book. After 20 minutes nobody had appeared. I went to reception to ask if the dining room was open and was told 'yes, but service is a little slow, why don't you try a different restaurant'!

In the morning I again complained about the air conditioner and the checkout person feigned surprise and said they would contact an engineer.

I think the staff had given up on the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
I can assure you that we have anything but given up on our hotel!

Without knowing more I can only assume that you stayed also on one of the very few days which are very warm in Stockholm or of course it is possible that there were some issues with our system the days you stayed, no excuses, we apologize that you were not satisfied and will try to work on that!

I am disappointed to hear of the experience you had in our dining room and comments that were made. Inexcusable and if we had some kind of staff shortage at that time it is not something that should effect our guests.

I am glad to hear you found the location convenient and enjoyed your bedroom.
Hopefully we will have the chance to change your view in the near future.
Without hearing about anything negative that may have happened it can be hard to improve. Thanks for sharing with us your opinions. We can use them to get better!

Surrey.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Mon 24.06.13, for one night, on business.
The reception staff at the hotel were excelllent.
The breakfast was excellent.

The only issue was that the air conditioning in the bedroom did not work. Normally this would not be a problem for Stockholm, I guess. However, when I was there, it was a very hot weather (26 C the following morning) and so the only option was to open the window during the night. This worked fine, as there was no noise from the street below (I was on the 6th floor).

The bedroom was excellent, the TV had a BBC Europe English speaking channel, the bed was very comfortable, there was a very good shower in the bathroom (there was no bath).

I did not dine in the hotel restaurant on the Monday evening, so I'm not able to comment on evening food.

The location is excellent, it is very close to Stockholm Central Railway station. The distance from the Arlanda Express Terminal (part of Stockholm Central railway station) to the hotel is only about 1 or 2 minutes walk, it is very close.

Would I stay at this hotel again? Yes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and would like to stay with us again!
Like you write in your review, yes Stockholm is not often tropical and therefore strong air conditioning is therefore very rare here. Like you also note the good old fashioned opening the window combined with our system does the trick nicely and with very little noise for a result.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Paul McDonald

Been to Nordic Light Hotel? Share your experiences!