“Sweet hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
London, England, United Kingdom
“Sweet hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I used to stay in this hotel during my business trips to Stockholm and I really loved the cosy and unique rooms in there.

I woudl agree with teh other revieer that the breakfast is limited, yet very filling. I loved the breakfast in this hotel much more than the huge one in Clarion Hotel - all teh food is very fresh and made in a home style. Pancackes, porrige, sandwiches and herring - this is more than enough for the breakfast!

I woudl not say there is something special in this hotel, it is just very small, sweet and cosy place which I recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Gandia, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is an excellent midrange hotel for the budget traveller. Small yet cosy, an oasis of calm in a very useful location. Breakfast is limited but fresh and filling. Really too small for a disabled visitor particularly the bathroom. Good staff who are willing to help where possible. Not top end but I would return willingly.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Rex provides basic, comfortable and affordable accommodation in what is , a very expensive but beautiful city. Our room on the 4th floor was small which we expected but everything well planned to fit in. We were pleasantly surprised by the attractive and relatively spacious bathroom . One problem might be excessive heat in the warmer weather as there is no air conditioning .
The provision of free coffee and tea in reception was very welcome and there were also plenty of leaflets for planning trips etc. All the staff we met were very friendly and pleasant and always said hello when we appeared (this basic customer care is sadly often lacking even in more expensive hotel). One eveing we visited the bar in the sister hotel opposite and that was also very pleasant.
Breakfast was plentiful and we always found a table. It was good to see that they served up until 11.00 . There was an excellent choice of teas (not always the case!) , good coffee and an assortment of cheese, ham, eggs, crispbread, various breads, yogurt ,jams and marmalade. Staff were always on hand to replenish supplies.
A pleasant base for a city break .for those on a budget.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel was very basic but clean and friendly staff. We had a room on the top floor, below the roof. When the sun was shining outside it became very hot. Opening a window at night resulted in very much noise from the street, so we didn't sleep very well.
Bathroom is very very small, but the shower is good!
Breakfast was very basic, not so much choice but what there was was very tasty.

Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

The room was small as expected in a European city but it was very nice. The stafff was very helpful. Most things were all within about 10 minute walk. If you have a car you will want to use their parking service unless you are their on the weekend then street parking was just fine for us.
Breakfast is included and fit the bill nothing fancy but got us off and going each morning. Internet service in the room was very good.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Hotel Rex was an ideal place to stay in. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
We stayed from 10th - 13th June 2012 for leisure and also for business.

Facilities:
The Rex Hotel is a sister hotel to Hotel Hellsten which was opposite. It was great because it meant we can use facilities from both hotel such as the tea and coffee machines which supplied delicious coffee and herbal tea all day long. We popped over to Hellsten for dinner which was great. They offer 3 course meal for very reasonable price. We had herring, reindeer stew (my husand had elk burger) and there was ice cream available. It was absolutely delicious and the staff were very welcoming.

The hotel also has a PC with internet access and printer, so it made it easy for me to prin off documents for my business meetings.

Rooms:
The rooms were rather small but my husband and I were happy enough. They were clean, had big TV and were comfortable. Felt like home!

Breakfast:
Breakfast was continental but more on the Swedish side (i think), there was boiled eggs, cottage cheese, cheese, ham slices, rivita (a large selection), fresh bread (large selection), tomatoes, cucumber. There was also cereals available. It was minimal but good for myself an my husband as we weren't planning for a big breakfast.

Location:
The hotel is 1 minutes walk from Rådmansgatan station which is easy to get to other parts of stockholm. There are also local shops such as seven-eleven which is like an off-licence/mini super market. There are also restaurants dotted near the hotel, there is an Indian restaurant which serves delicious Indian cuisine, very fresh and light. Not like the greasy heavy type we have in London.

Tourist Attractions:
I would recommend taking the hop-on-hop off BOAT which is great! You get to explore most of stockholm. We even took a 20 minute boat to fjäderholmarna which is the closest of the archipelago islands. Worth the visit. We also took advantage of the bike hire schemes around stockholm which was really fun and a great way to see some of the sights. The hotel supplies all the relevant leaflets.

Money:
This is more to do with stockholm than the hotel. I would suggest taking lots of spending money as you can end up spending so much because things are not cheap. I spent £280 in 4 days (I don't drink and only went to restaurant twice).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Northumberland, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

The hotel is not fancy, but my room was clean, nice modern bathroom, comfortable bed. My flight arrived very early in the morning and left me with about 5 hours to wander around before I could check in to my room. My single room was small but had all needed amenities with wood floors, a small desk and, over the bed, a good reading lamp. Hotel coffee making machine in the lobby was a nice change from the instant coffee and tea you sometimes get to make hot beverages in your room. Besides having plug-in internet connections in the room, the hotel has WiFi access in the lobby and a computer in the lobby set aside for guests to use. The staff were friendly and my room was quiet, but I did have a few issues with the temperature in the room versus the breakfast room. My room was too warm and it took a day to adjust the radiator to a comfortable amount of heat. The breakfast room, on the other hand, was too cold and I was told by reception that the heat in the room had not been working for several weeks. Not good for a December visitor! The other issue I had was with the staffing of the reception desk. The same staff apparently handle two hotels across the street from each other simultaneously. This was problematic when it came time to check out in early morning and the staff was at the other hotel and I could not figure out which equipment on the reception desk I could use to reach reception at the other hotel.

Overall a nice place to stay, chosen because it was in the neighborhood where I had lived for a time, and near subway or a 15 minute walk to downtown, 25 minutes to the Old Town.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Rex Hotel? Share your experiences!